• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentop door person shoots self

CoryB

Allow me to clarify - the person who was shot is a friend of mine.

1. - Yes, the owner went in with rounds in the rifle. The officer took the rifle and cycled the lever, thus loading a round into the chamber that had previously been empty.

2. - The owner of the rifle was explaining to the officer (who was apparently unfamiliar with lever action rifles) how to unload the lever action gun and pulled the feed tube out to allow the rounds to pour out into his (owners) hand. In hindsight, he agrees that putting his hand at the end of the muzzle and catching the rounds was not the best idea.

3. - When the officer tried to angle the rifle stock higher to dump the remaining rounds, he (the officer) pulled the trigger. The gun did not "go off" - it was fired by the officer who had his finger on the trigger when it should not have been there.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions of what happened. This information came to me via the gun owner who was shot in the hand by the officer. I'd say he had a better vantage point than any other witness there.

solus

1. - Yes, the owner went in with rounds in the rifle. The officer took the rifle and cycled the lever, thus loading a round into the chamber that had previously been empty.

2. - The owner of the rifle was explaining to the officer (who was apparently unfamiliar with lever action rifles) how to unload the lever action gun and pulled the feed tube out to allow the rounds to pour out into his (owners) hand. In hindsight, he agrees that putting his hand at the end of the muzzle and catching the rounds was not the best idea.

3. - When the officer tried to angle the rifle stock higher to dump the remaining rounds, he (the officer) pulled the trigger. The gun did not "go off" - it was fired by the officer who had his finger on the trigger when it should not have been there.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions of what happened. This information came to me via the gun owner who was shot in the hand by the officer. I'd say he had a better vantage point than any other witness there.

but, but, but the rifle was not, repeat unloaded!!

lets see...(ya, sry i'm going there)

The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. NOT DONE

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. NOT DONE

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. NOT DONE

bloody h3ll the 3 stooges could follow those concepts...

glad you friend is apparently all right but this could have be a comedy of errors with someone seriously injured.

sorry this individual would hold your friend judicially accountable for their actions but your honor their wasn't any ammo in the chamber until the nice LE took the rifle away from me and cycled a round in the chamber...and then he pulled the trigger ~ accidentally of course!!!
ipse

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Thanks for the clarification Cory.
Since I was in the back of the store, I had no vantage point. What you see in the picture, someone under a pile of GT employees, is what I saw. Eyewitnesses, told me what happened.

So your friend unwisely took a loaded gun in, handed it to someone that really shouldn't be handling guns, made a grab for the muzzle while idiot number 2 was fumbling with it, idiot number 2 jerked the trigger and shot your friend while he had his hand over the muzzle.
Makes perfect sense....
Had it been a larger caliber, he could have stuck his finger in the barrel to stop the bullet.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Thanks for the clarification Cory.

Had it been a larger caliber, he could have stuck his finger in the barrel to stop the bullet.

elmerfud-and-bugs_7487.jpg