• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hand cuff question..

IndianaBoy79

imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
IndianaBoy79 wrote:
MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
Ian wrote:
snip
It's not so much that these items are only for LEO, it's that it's overkill for everyday dress. A cop wears them to work because a cop is LOOKING for trouble. I actively avoid it. Most cops aren't ambushed drinking coffee at Starbucks, they are actively seeking out bad guys who can do them harm. Most cops I talk to do not carry cuffs while off duty. Many of them carry a personal handgun though. Its the same reason I feel comfortable with a 5 shot revolver instead of a semi-auto...if I was looking for trouble I would want more available.

For me, cell phone, keys, smokes, lighter, knife, small flashlight, speed loader, and gun is all I care to tote....and that's already too much.

You're right....not at Starbucks....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=34644&forum_id=55&highlight=police+coffee+shop+shooting
Funny you mention that...I was thinking of the exact same incident when I wrote the above. The point still stands though.

summerof95

imported post

I'll agree with most posts here and suggest that you not carry them.

Handcuffing is the most dangerous of an officer's routine tasks.
It requires both of the officer's hands, and requires the officer to be very close to the suspect.
In addition, there is a psychological effect also comes into play. When someone hears and feels the cuffs being placed on them, it triggers a powerful escape instinct. A suspect may be compliant, then suddenly react as soon as the officer begins to cuff them.
Add to that, handcuffs can also be considered a weapon. It might cause some trouble in court.

All of that aside, carrying them visibly may also present the "look-at-me/wanna-be" image.

But, to answer your question, yes, you CAN carry them. Whether you SHOULD is up to you.

I'll disagree with Ian, though. I think Mace and Tasers are reasonable carry items for private citizens. The new Taser C2 is made specifically for that purpose. Once fired, it will continue to shock for 30 seconds, allowing the user to drop the device and flee to safety.
Mace is a little more "iffy." It requires proper aim, and can blow back into the user.

If I may add a question here, are expandable batons legal to carry in NH?
I thought they were prohibited, but I can't find any mention of them in 159, besides "other martial art weapon."
Anybody have any legal reference on them?

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Yes batons are legal to carry in NH so is owning and wearing body armor. As for the C2 taser, Taser will replace at no cost your C2 taser should you have to use it and leave it behind. Wanted to add that part in before anti less then lethal people say why spend 500 on a taser and then leave it behind. As I have said before NOT EVERY CASE calls for deadly force and some places you cant bring a fire arm but you can bring your taser and or pepper spray or mace. Summer of 95 i will post the RSA if I can find it again.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Here's kind of a funny sidenote... my dad is retired law enforcement, and my wife's dad is the ultimate redneck cowboy, down to his Colt .45 and his spurs. So for our wedding my family decided it would be cute to have my dad wear his old Sheriff's uniform, have my wife's dad wear his cowboy getup and have the two of them handcuff us together after the vows.

It made for a fun and memorable experience, especially when my dad tried to uncuff us and his key broke.

Thankfully, his old partner was there, and he always carries both his cuffs... and his keys.

You can kinda see the cuffs in the picture, I couldn't find a better one.

Thought this might amuse.

jay75009

imported post

i personally would not carry cuffs, i have the for my SEO job. but they serve a purpose then. all of us have to worry about our weapon to begin with. all of us inside have the fear of our weapon somehow being used against us.......as dave chapelle said "turn off the music at a traffic stop, noone wants to be beat down to a soundtrack" ....and you also dont wanna be cuffed with your own gear THEN shot with your own weapon ;-)

NYNRA

okay...handcuffs?.........way too buffy. More like a mall ninja move. Next your gona want to dress like Dog the Bounty Hunter