• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heavy drinking linked to owning firearms?

carsontech

Activist Member
Sorry if someone already posted this, but this is ridiculous:

"Gun owners who carry concealed weapons or have confronted another person with a gun are more than twice as likely to drink heavily as people who do not own guns, according to a study by UC Davis researchers. Binge drinking, chronic heavy alcohol use, and drinking and driving were all more common among gun owners generally than among non-owners, even after adjusting for factors such as age, sex, race, and state of residence. But alcohol abuse was most common among firearm owners who participated in gun-related behaviors that carry a risk of violence, which also included having a loaded, unlocked firearm in the home and driving or riding in a vehicle with a loaded firearm."

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/cvc/5416

OldCurlyWolf

Saw this posted somewhere a couple of months back. I don't remember if it was here or elsewhere.:banghead::confused:

okboomer

Does that mean I need to go out and buy alcohol now? Geesh, I am so behind the times ... keeping up with the astro turf, my bible, the size of my penis, and now alkihaul ... evidently I am not a very good gun owner or teabagger at all :banghead:

Redbaron007

I wonder how many of those folks interviewed also own a vehicle. That must mean, too, there is a larger probability that if you own a vehicle you will/are a heavy drinker! :banghead:

This quote at the bottom of the article is hilarious!!
The UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program is an organized research program that addresses the causes, nature and prevention of violence. Its mission is to conduct research to further America’s efforts to understand and prevent violence. Current major areas of emphasis are the prediction of criminal behavior, the effectiveness of waiting-period and background-check programs for prospective purchasers of firearms, and the determinants of firearm violence.

Talk about anti-gun. :eek:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I have not yet screwed an immediate family, still have all my teeth, don't drink alcohol, on't do drugs, never been to a Tea Party event....

My guns must be a figment of my imagination...

Research, or Mass Slander? Is there a difference anymore?

jeeper1

What else would you expect from a place that makes the politicians in sacramento like republicans.

kcgunfan

This report looks to be an instance of the logical fallacy "cum hoc ergo propter hoc". Here's the appropriate answer to BS like this: "Correlation does not imply causation."

For example, in the summertime, consumption of ice cream increases, as well as the rate of heart attacks. These 2 events are correlated (they go up and down at the same time.) The fallacy would be stated as: Ice Cream causes heart attacks. The reason it's a fallacy is because there is a 3rd factor that affects both of them (the heart and increased physical activity in summer.)

PistolPackingMomma

This report looks to be an instance of the logical fallacy "cum hoc ergo propter hoc". Here's the appropriate answer to BS like this: "Correlation does not imply causation."

For example, in the summertime, consumption of ice cream increases, as well as the rate of heart attacks. These 2 events are correlated (they go up and down at the same time.) The fallacy would be stated as: Ice Cream causes heart attacks. The reason it's a fallacy is because there is a 3rd factor that affects both of them (the heart and increased physical activity in summer.)

Ah yes, but your reasoning utilizes logic and facts; otherwise known as the anti's personal kryptonite.

RPGamingGirl

lol the only gun owner that i know that was a heavy drinker at any point stopped such behavior while he was still in college (and before he owned a firearm). He's 48 now.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Snip:
"The data are 15 years old, but no more recent data are available. Only eight states chose to ask questions about both firearms and alcohol. Despite these limitations, Wintemute said, the study’s results provide important evidence about gun ownership and the potential for gun use to be closely associated with the misuse and abuse of alcohol."

!5 years old?

okboomer

You know, they are members of the UC Davis campus ... doesn't that mean that anything they publish like this have to be peer reviewed?

If it isn't peer reviewed, perhaps that should be brought to the attention of the Department Head that oversees the group?:lol:

If it is peer reviewed, then how did they get that fallacy of logic through? Otherwise, it is the hypothesis (poses the question?), not the conclusion (answers the hypothesis?) (Gawd, freshman year was sooooo many decades ago :p)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I never drink alcohol.

One of my friend's families is religiously opposed to drinking alcohol also, and they also have a lot of guns.

Their data just doesn't correspond to most of the gun owners I know.

Last edited:

carry for myself

i own lots of guns. i drink a beer a week. i've never driven drunk and never acted in a dangerous manner. however i have seen my liberal gun hating save the whales lets occupy everything neighbor stumble out of his house at 2pm in his tighty whiteys screaming at the lord for not giving him a winning scratch ticket.............just saying.........

xmanhockey7

What about the fact those of us who have carry permits are far more law abiding than the general public? Besides what about the fact we live in america where A LOT of people own firearms. This study is like saying people who eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on a regular basis consume more water than people who don't. It's a ridiculous correlation.