• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello everybody!

Snake161

I am a new member here, lurked for a while but never joined. Just wanted to say hello and give some background on myself. I am 23, working full time and attending college at UW-O. I have been open carrying for a year and half now. I started on my own, and have now gotten others to join me.

I feel it is a very important right, and I plan to help the cause any way I can.

I often carry the Memorandum from 2009 declaring that open carry is our right in Wisconsin, since it includes almost everything I would like to have a violating officer see.

I have not been carrying a recorder, and have not had any problems. However, I WILL begin carrying a recorder to protect myself. Appleton Cops are notorious for stepping outside of their threshold of power.

Anyways, I would just like to say thank you to everybody who carries responsibly and diligently, and I tend to consider myself as a trail blazer when it comes to exercising our freedoms. I believe in protecting my rights, whatever they may be, and have no problem doing everything possible to explain to LEO's and others that in America, we have freedoms to certain important things, one of them being the right to bear arms (and carry!).

So, from one fellow OC'r to many others, Hello!

And just as a side note, I would just like to say that I have only had very minor issues with Scheels in Northland Mall. Recently, my buddy and I have gone there to look at a few pistols, and they immedialty deploy there plain clothes assets protection indiviudal and store managers to tail us around the store.

I worked retail for 4 years, and I spotted the PC assets individual immediately, not more than being a minute in the store. He knew his cover was blown too, as he then proceeded to stop shadowing us and began chatting with the manager.

They have never approached us yet, and we go there often. But they are beginning to be more watchful every time we go.

So, anybody going to Scheels in the Northland mall, mind your P's and Q's and be yourself. We don't want to create enemies or see another anti- 2nd amendment sign.

Either way, I don't see it as an issue yet, but my hope is that they focus their efforts on the teenage thieves and disturbances, and not a paying or prospective customer. I like Scheels and it would be a shame to kick them off of my list as a favorite store.

Thanks guys, and Carry On!:banana:

Snake161

Yes sir, I am. It doesn't seem as though the sight has been updated in a while....Is the group still operational?

Last edited:
M

McX

Yes sir, I am. It doesn't seem as though the sight has been updated in a while....Is the group still operational?

expanding exponentially actually, and on that note; join up immediately, be there be square- so to speak.

protias

Welcome to the site.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to walk towards them to tell them I do not appreciate being watched. I'd rather mind my own business and have them look for the real criminals.

XDFDE45

Welcome aboard and keep on carrying on
thumbsup.gif

Snake161

Welcome to the site.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to walk towards them to tell them I do not appreciate being watched. I'd rather mind my own business and have them look for the real criminals.

Thanks everybody. I will head over to Wisconsin carry and sign up! Anything to get our voice out there. I think that organized open carry is the best thing to happen in a long time for our rights.

America needs help right now in more ways then one, and while this is a self defense issue for me more than anything, I believe that it sends a clear and resounding message to the bureaucracy that be; "We are here, we are still Americans, and you will not infringe upon our liberties". Lets hope it is seen that way.

Protias, yes, I was becoming irate at this fact myself. They are really wasting their time with law abiding citizens such as us. Especially at a sporting goods store, with a gun section that puts many to shame! Either way, I tend to like to express my rights and feelings about a given situation such as this with a plethora of intelligence and preparedness. I didn't want to run up to the rent a cop and get kicked out and make a bad name for us and gun owners alike. But, I did have to hold my friend back. He is a very level headed individual as well, but he cannot stand people who bother him and use these tactics in order to make us nervous. After all, we have both spent a pile of money there. I'm not sure if that matters to these people anymore, though. I told him to hold back and wait until next time, and if they do it again (which I'm sure they will) we will have a chat with the upper management. If that doesn't take effect, I will contact regional management or, if I have to, corporate. They need to get used the fact that we are not the criminals, and that this isn't a dog and pony show. It's about personal defense and my right to exercise the 2nd amendment. I agree with you fully, that something should be said, and it will. But we all know how much we would hate somebody ruining our right to open carry. I am hoping that it never happens, but we shall see.

Thanks everybody for the replies, I do feel welcome!

Last edited:

AaronS

I think that organized open carry is the best thing to happen in a long time for our rights.

America needs help right now in more ways then one, and while this is a self defense issue for me more than anything, I believe that it sends a clear and resounding message to the bureaucracy that be; "We are here, we are still Americans, and you will not infringe upon our liberties".

I just wanted to read this again. It makes me feel better.

Hello and welcome. I hope you enjoy the site. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

BrewTownBagger

I am a new member here, lurked for a while but never joined. Just wanted to say hello and give some background on myself. I am 23, working full time and attending college at UW-O. I have been open carrying for a year and half now. I started on my own, and have now gotten others to join me.

I feel it is a very important right, and I plan to help the cause any way I can.

I often carry the Memorandum from 2009 declaring that open carry is our right in Wisconsin, since it includes almost everything I would like to have a violating officer see.

I have not been carrying a recorder, and have not had any problems. However, I WILL begin carrying a recorder to protect myself. Appleton Cops are notorious for stepping outside of their threshold of power.

Anyways, I would just like to say thank you to everybody who carries responsibly and diligently, and I tend to consider myself as a trail blazer when it comes to exercising our freedoms. I believe in protecting my rights, whatever they may be, and have no problem doing everything possible to explain to LEO's and others that in America, we have freedoms to certain important things, one of them being the right to bear arms (and carry!).

So, from one fellow OC'r to many others, Hello!

And just as a side note, I would just like to say that I have only had very minor issues with Scheels in Northland Mall. Recently, my buddy and I have gone there to look at a few pistols, and they immedialty deploy there plain clothes assets protection indiviudal and store managers to tail us around the store.

I worked retail for 4 years, and I spotted the PC assets individual immediately, not more than being a minute in the store. He knew his cover was blown too, as he then proceeded to stop shadowing us and began chatting with the manager.

They have never approached us yet, and we go there often. But they are beginning to be more watchful every time we go.

So, anybody going to Scheels in the Northland mall, mind your P's and Q's and be yourself. We don't want to create enemies or see another anti- 2nd amendment sign.

Either way, I don't see it as an issue yet, but my hope is that they focus their efforts on the teenage thieves and disturbances, and not a paying or prospective customer. I like Scheels and it would be a shame to kick them off of my list as a favorite store.

Thanks guys, and Carry On!:banana:

Welcome to the forum, glad you're here :banana:

Snake161

Thank you brew town and Aaron, I am happy to be here. I do have one question though. As far as I have been told, a place that serves alcohol as their main form of business is the only place under that rule that I need to avoid, correct? So, if I was to go to say, Mr. Cinders and have dinner, that doesn't count right? My friends dad is a cop for outagamie county and said that the percent of sales of alcohol has to be a certain amount. So this pretty much rules out any "bar" type places, since most of their sales are boose.

Or, can I not go into a place that serves alcohol period? I have gone to cinders and a few other b&g's while carrying and haven't really worried about it. I avoid places like the bar and others that are mainly drink joints. Let me know so I don't get arrested! I guess my theory is the same as anybody's, "if its a bar, leave it in the car".

protias

Thank you brew town and Aaron, I am happy to be here. I do have one question though. As far as I have been told, a place that serves alcohol as their main form of business is the only place under that rule that I need to avoid, correct? So, if I was to go to say, Mr. Cinders and have dinner, that doesn't count right? My friends dad is a cop for outagamie county and said that the percent of sales of alcohol has to be a certain amount. So this pretty much rules out any "bar" type places, since most of their sales are boose.

Or, can I not go into a place that serves alcohol period? I have gone to cinders and a few other b&g's while carrying and haven't really worried about it. I avoid places like the bar and others that are mainly drink joints. Let me know so I don't get arrested! I guess my theory is the same as anybody's, "if its a bar, leave it in the car".

Any place that has a class B liquor license is off limits. Unless you have permission from the owner or manager for that evening.

BrewTownBagger

I have been to both bars and restaurants that serve liquor while OC'ing and have never had a problem, but like others have stated before I did get permission from management to be there for the particular visit. If someone from the establishment would confront me about it I would politely place my firearm in my vehicle. No need to make a scene.

Snake161

Oh, yeah, no way would I make a scene. Good info. Now I know! Thank you everybody, and I am glad that we talked!

AaronS

Or, can I not go into a place that serves alcohol period? I have gone to cinders and a few other b&g's while carrying and haven't really worried about it. I avoid places like the bar and others that are mainly drink joints. Let me know so I don't get arrested!.

Bad Bad Bad. Don't get caught. You will go to jail, unless;

Any place that has a class B liquor license is off limits. Unless you have permission from the owner or manager for that evening.

Snake161

Well I did have a sneaking suspicion that I should research the topic more. But, thanks to everybody here, I am now educated that much more! Thanks guys! Thanks for the invite XD, I'll remember that!