• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I would like to start a new open carry group

Koasecurity

Hello every one. I am very interested in starting open carry groun here on the
West Bank. If any one has some insight or would like to help be a part of this please
let me know. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Koasecurity

Are you aware of the extant Louisiana Open Carry groups, and have you rejected them, but will be different and how?

Welcome to OCDO.

Yes I do know how many there are here. I am finding it hard to find one that is actively doing events say about once a week. I would like to have at least one event a week I would like to raise public awareness and show people that we are not demons and that we are responsible adult the only difference we decide to carry a handgun openly. Also I have not regected any other open carry groups nor will I. Raising awerness of OC is an uphill battle and I do not want to negatively affect any group that is doing so as long as they are responsibly doing it.

Last edited:

HeroHog

Hello, I represent the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). We have tried for years to hold monthly Meet & Greets, range meet-ups, had gun show tables and it has always only been two or three people doing it ALL in the whole state (as far as our members go). It's not for a lack of effort. We simply can't get enough people who want to be active. I would LOVE to have some new blood come into LOCAL, be active and take the reigns and take us in a new direction and get more people interested and active! Frankly, the ones who have been shouldering the load the last several years are getting burnt out.
:banghead:

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... I would like to have at least one event a week I would like to raise public awareness and show people that we are not demons and that we are responsible adult the only difference we decide to carry a handgun openly. ...
I'm not addressing your desire to have/participate in weekly events, but you can conduct your own DAILY event by open carrying everyplace possible.

That, combined with being nicely dressed, polite, and approachable will go a long way towards achieving the effect you are seeking.

Koasecurity

Hello, I represent the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). We have tried for years to hold monthly Meet & Greets, range meet-ups, had gun show tables and it has always only been two or three people doing it ALL in the whole state (as far as our members go). It's not for a lack of effort. We simply can't get enough people who want to be active. I would LOVE to have some new blood come into LOCAL, be active and take the reigns and take us in a new direction and get more people interested and active! Frankly, the ones who have been shouldering the load the last several years are getting burnt out.
:banghead:

I'm not addressing your desire to have/participate in weekly events, but you can conduct your own DAILY event by open carrying everyplace possible.

That, combined with being nicely dressed, polite, and approachable will go a long way towards achieving the effect you are seeking.

This is what I do everywhere. To me it is very important to bring a positive view of open carrying unlike the YouTube activists who bait LEOS and such. Responsible open carry can be a very effective in deterring crime.

HeroHog

The unoffical LOCAL motto is "Don't be 'that guy'." You know the one, dressed all in camo or tackticool or maybe looking like some hood rat or some sort of inbred goober, yeah, THAT guy.

Lthrnck

Expectation .....

KOASecurity,

I think what you "WANT" to do versus what your going to be "ABLE" to do is going to be rather far apart.

Now don't get me wrong, if you want to try and do something on a weekly basis, then go for it, but don't be to distraught when or if it doesn't happen.

I worked for almost 2 years here in Ohio to try and put together a group to do events on a monthly bases. I set up the meetings and I created minutes, handouts, etc. etc. etc.

I could never get enough participation to keep things going. Life always got in the way, family problems, work schedules, lack of funs to travel etc. etc. etc.

Volunteers are hard to get and even harder to keep. Believe me I know, I worked with the Boy Scouts of America for many, many years in high level positions and recruitment and retention of the volunteers was always the hardest thing.

Again, go for it, but try to keep you goals in an acceptable limit.

Oh...good luck and "Carry On".

Last edited:

GODNGUN

Godngun

Hey KOASecurity; I am a member of LOCAL-and though I live across the lake I work in Harvey and stay down at my son's house 2 nights a week. I am willing to sit and share ideas. It will have to wait until March though. My wife recently had a heart attack and I will not be staying down during February. Like many have already said, we for some reason cannot get people to live what they talk. I understand they are risk we all do, but there are risk with just about everything we do for pleasure, fun etc. There safe ways to promote and we can talk, my cell is 504-***-**** David

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey KOASecurity; I am a member of LOCAL-and though I live across the lake I work in Harvey and stay down at my son's house 2 nights a week. I am willing to sit and share ideas. It will have to wait until March though. My wife recently had a heart attack and I will not be staying down during February. Like many have already said, we for some reason cannot get people to live what they talk. I understand they are risk we all do, but there are risk with just about everything we do for pleasure, fun etc. There safe ways to promote and we can talk, my cell is 504-***-**** David
Welcome to OCDO GODNGUN.

Have taken the liberty to delete your cell phone number - publicly posting that could open a can of worms. Suggest contacting KOASecurity by PM first, then exchange phone numbers there if you wish.

There is no rule against phone numbers, so if you truly want yours to go public across the interwebs, feel free. I strongly recommend against it though.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Lthrnck, BB62 and others have been through this. It will usually only be 2/3 active people. Money and time are your enemies. And I mean everybodies money and time. I think your weekly activism is a bit unrealistic. Shoot for 4 or 5 events a year is more manageable. I wish you luck.

SlaughterOC

I would love an OC group in the Zachary, LA area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

solus

I would love an OC group in the Zachary, LA area

welcome to the forum...see previous threads and 'schedule it they will come' is the mantra to strive for...

best of luck...

ipse

SlaughterOC

I tried to contact via their contact page. No response.