• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone going to attend the antithesis to our Lobby Day?

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
This lady saw my "Guns Save Lives" sticker and yelled "Darn Right they do, the fellow behind her gave me the thumbs up.
It always amazes me how many strangers you bump into who carry or support the 2A. I was in the local computer store recently buying memory talking to the tech guy and the owner, both have CHPs and talked about going shooting.

Neplusultra

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
The anti's were fuming mad that I was there open carrying. People kept coming over to talk to me and take my picture I just smiled. One lady asked me if I had a card I told her I was just a fireman and a citizen I had no cards.

Oh, and I open carried when the governor spoke about 20 yards away for the clean water rally. Capitol Police checked my id and left me alone. They were very polite and professional.
TDub if you don't want to attract attention you shouldn't wear such a big honkin' gun :^).

Bad TDub, you should have said with a really big smile and a nice southern draw, "You boys know better than that."

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
TDub if you don't want to attract attention you shouldn't wear such a big honkin' gun :^).

Bad TDub, you should have said with a really big smile and a nice southern draw, "You boys know better than that."

I didn't mind the attention. I got a whole lot of :what:. My Colt got a few compliments. Oh, and I don't think you can open carry on the Capitol grounds without id. If that's not the case the policeman played it cool because my sportcoat partially covered it up when I walked to the grounds for the clean water rally. All and all great day with the one obvious exception.

I wish some of you could have seen the antis. Just standing there minding my business enraged them.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I wish some of you could have seen the antis. Just standing there minding my business enraged them.
I think you'll find what enraged them was that you have freedoms they don't want you to have.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

I didn't mind the attention. I got a whole lot of :what:. My Colt got a few compliments. Oh, and I don't think you can open carry on the Capitol grounds without id. If that's not the case the policeman played it cool because my sportcoat partially covered it up when I walked to the grounds for the clean water rally. All and all great day with the one obvious exception.

Yes, you can carry on the GROUNDS without ID, but they would have kept a few officers near because of Kaine.

KBCraig

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
The group:
462266773_B7mFC-M.jpg
Usually when you see a group like that, you have six anti-gun people in the middle, surrounded by 30 journalists eager to let them share their feelings.

Neplusultra

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
What probably made them so mad is that they wanted to bum rush you and pummel you into the ground but they couldn't because, well, you had a gun and they didn't :D

Their irrational anger and the depth of their vitriol never ceases to impress me. Why are pro-gunners so much more cooler headed on average, significantly cooler?

TFred

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
What probably made them so mad is that they wanted to bum rush you and pummel you into the ground but they couldn't because, well, you had a gun and they didn't :D

Their irrational anger and the depth of their vitriol never ceases to impress me. Why are pro-gunners so much more cooler headed on average, significantly cooler?
At some risk of drifting off topic (we never do that do we?) I recommend reading columnist and talk radio host Dennis Prager. He puts out a weekly column on all sorts of issues, some of which are directly related to our interests here.

From April 2006, his column titled "Who hates the other more - liberals or conservatives?" is very telling to our question at hand, namely the difference between folks of our mindset and the blind-at-all-costs anti-gun crowd.

I suggest you at least browse through some of his other weekly column titles, starting here. A lot of very good stuff. The first of his writings I discovered that have kept me coming back week after week was a two part series titled "The second American civil war: what it's about", which can be found here: Part I and Part II. That one is a little bit dated, from 5 years ago, but most of it is still spot on.

TFred

Tomahawk

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Someone came over with a recorder and they asked if they could interview me. I'm sure it was an anti. I told her that I was there earlier that day with the clean water rally and I just decided to stick around and visit my reps and look at some art and enjoy being at the capitol.

They pulled that stunt on me a year and a half ago during the Bloomberg Gun Giveaway meeting. I didn't know I was being put on until later but I didn't say much so she didn't get anything to use against us. But I learned my lesson: make sure you are talking to a real reporter first.

The antis will pull sneaky stuff like this, folks, so be alert.

riverrat10k

imported post

Well done folks.

It appears the presence of OC'ers was at least not negative from an activist standpoint.

Citizen had some concerns that without overwhelming force, an anti-MMM demonstration would show weakness.

Looks like the understated method worked well in this case , helped by the anti's poor turnout.

bnkrazy, t dubya, peter, and anyone else who was there to work for our rights, a warm thank you and keep up the good work!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Well done folks.

It appears the presence of OC'ers was at least not negative from an activist standpoint.

Citizen had some concerns that without overwhelming force, an anti-MMM demonstration would show weakness.

Looks like the understated method worked well in this case , helped by the anti's poor turnout.

bnkrazy, t dubya, peter, and anyone else who was there to work for our rights, a warm thank you and keep up the good work!
I don't deserve much credit. I was multitasking. I was there for support as a VCDL member, and in the agricultural hearings as a Master Gardner and as a lobbyist for Old Va.

The credit goes to the members that were there just for the hearings in room A. Philip, whoever it was sitting between Philip and me and the others that came in.

There were a lot of sideline sessions going on.

IMG_2160-640x480.jpg

the usual shuck and jive inside the hearing room

IMG_2158-640x480.jpg

And I guess they didn't have a march because the only people they had were in the hearing room. We had just started coming in at this time. Ever notice that they always come in early. I guess it's to try to pack the room before we get there.

IMG_2159-640x480.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tess wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
I think you'll find what enraged them was that you have freedoms they don't want you to have.
Another nail on the head here. You are absolutely correct and I have caught a number of them in this little admission.

It's not enough that they don't like firearms and don't want them for themselves. They don't want you to have them either. You can tell them that you wouldn't dream of forcing them to own a firearm and their response is usually something like, "Yeah, but the fact that you have them makes me less safe".

They have an innate fear of firearms and many times, of other weapons as well. I have run into this so many times over the years. It is truly very difficult to reason with these people.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It's all those hormones they have floating around. Makes them......unstable:shock:

That is not a likable face

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
SNIP Citizen had some concerns that without overwhelming force, an anti-MMM demonstration would show weakness.

I confess. I didn't consider the tactics used.

I was just imagining some of our guys sitting quietly "in the wilderness", impotent and looking "pathetic" by numerical disparity in an MMM press release.

I'm glad our side was represented.

So, the lesson is, don't listen to Citizen.

Unless he is fussing about the Federal Reserve or standing forth on one of the many other subjects on which he is expert. :)

riverrat10k

imported post

So, if I'm not supposed to listen to Citizen, that means I should listen to Citizen.

:lol:

I certainly hope you don't believe I am criticizing you or questioning your judgement.I respect your knowledge and insights.

I think we just got a little lucky with the opportunityand our freinds represented our cause well.

Look forward to reading your posts, C.

riverrat

IanB

imported post

peter nap wrote:
That is Ms. Elita Habtu. She is a VT victim, shot in the face, jaw wired shut during recovery,bullet[still] lodged near her brainstem.
I feel very sorry for her and what shehas been putthrough.

However, after all that she thinks that someone like myself, a law abiding citizen, should not be able to carry a defensive handgun into a college classroom. Ms. Habtu was/is injured because nobody was there who could stop Cho. The victims all waited, with exit doors chained shut,classrooms barricaded (but no locks on the doors), some jumping out second story windows, some of them lined up against the wall obediently, not fighting back, being executed one-by-one at point blank range.

All of them waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

They waited for men (and women)with GUNS to show up and put the murderer down.

kenny

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
That is Ms. Elita Habtu. She is a VT victim, shot in the face, jaw wired shut during recovery,bullet[still] lodged near her brainstem.

However, after all that she thinks that someone like myself, a law abiding citizen, should not be able to carry a defensive handgun into a college classroom. Ms. Habtu was/is injured because nobody was there who could stop Cho. The victims all waited, with exit doors chained shut,classrooms barricaded (but no locks on the doors), some jumping out second story windows, some of them lined up against the wall obediently, not fighting back, being executed one-by-one at point blank range.

All of them waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Naked Shoplifter,

In your post with which I agree, you are misrepresenting facts. Two officers did arrive while bullets were still being fired. Their first act was to aid/remove the people who were jumping out of the windows and get them out of harms way. I've lost count of how many people these two officers moved to a safe location. Many of the assisted students they aided were wounded. In the mean time the cavalry was on the way.

Cho would have not needed to be stopped if our "system" was better than it is/was.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kenny wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
peter nap wrote:

All of them waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Naked Shoplifter,

In your post with which I agree, you are misrepresenting facts. Two officers did arrive while bullets were still being fired. Their first act was to aid/remove the people who were jumping out of the windows and get them out of harms way. I've lost count of how many people these two officers moved to a safe location. Many of the assisted students they aided were wounded. In the mean time the cavalry was on the way.

Cho would have not needed to be stopped if our "system" was better than it is/was.

Since she's a victim, I pulled the picture....I do NOT feel sorry for her though. Once she sided with the anti's, she became an enemy!
There isn't much room for sympathy in this.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kenny wrote:
SNIP Naked Shoplifter,

I think you just reinforced his point.

He's not criticizing the police or their response time. He's pointing out that the disarmed people waited for armed people. Cops in this case, since students are staff are forbidden to carry. But if the "armed people" had been students or staff already inside, things may have had a very different outcome.