• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Open Carry tactically wise?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I saw one of those for women in Wally World, guess they are coming back. A nice vest would look good for open carry for a semi dress up occasion. I have thought about getting a CW frock coat for those rare occasions, but gray is denim, and I couldn't bring myself to wear blue.

Burn a hole in the left center breast of the coat about .452" across and tell everybody you took it off of the last yankee that tried to harm you :lol:

KyleKatern

I had 1 main reason to get a CHP

I wanted one as it makes gun purchases, both from a gun shop or form private parties MUCH faster and easier. If I am working out of town and see a pawn shop, I stop in. Same with gun shops. its a lot easier to carry a laminated card in my wallet than to fold up a purchase permit and stuff it in my wallet in case I find a deal.

I find that I open carry less than I used to, but that is mostly due to the fact that I have a grabby handed 19 month old. Pocket carry keeps him from seeing it and trying to mess with it. I opencarry to the store or when out, or even when doing yard work. However, I normally, 90% or more of the time, carry my pocket gun when I am OC. I, personally, sometimes choose to remove my OC gun and leave it locked up in the vehicle, mostly due to some friends of the family and locations that, while not a gun free zone, are not very OC friendly. I think any type of carry is better than one at all, but I have found that when I am OC, especially if I am dressed in work stained clothes, I get some of the most interesting looks and questions. I have a goatee, often also have stubble, my hair reflect having been in a hard hat msot days. I have experienced the 'see gun, leave area' scenario multiple times, especially in parking lot or street locations in the evenings.

When I used to attend the open carry meetups right next to NCSU, at I love NY pizza, I noticed that guns often serve as a deterrent for panhandlers, which is just a side benefit.

Rusty Young Man

WalkingWolf

Some look a little too much like either "Bubba tactical" or "operator tacticool" for my taste. In terms of practicality, some of those rigs look like you'd need three hands to unholster.
I'll look more into the Nehru jacket and gunbelt combo.

I agree, a Doc Holiday rig would look better, but still not what I would think match a suit. IMO a serpa with a drop attachment or a short vest would look better. Even a WW2 half flap swivel holster would look better with a suit.

American Patriot

I agree, a Doc Holiday rig would look better, but still not what I would think match a suit. IMO a serpa with a drop attachment or a short vest would look better. Even a WW2 half flap swivel holster would look better with a suit.

The flap concealing the gun probably would require a CHP.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The flap concealing the gun probably would require a CHP.

1911 government-style flap holsters definitely do not conceal the firearm. At least, not in Virginia or any other state I have much familiarity with.

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the draw from flap holsters. Not intended for a primary arm, IMO.

WalkingWolf

1911 government-style flap holsters definitely do not conceal the firearm. At least, not in Virginia or any other state I have much familiarity with.

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the draw from flap holsters. Not intended for a primary arm, IMO.

Flap would be no slower than drawing from concealed, IMO.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Someone familiar with IDPA overall performance between shoots from concealed and shoots from open carry might shed light on the time performance. Early in the development of South Carolina's concealed carry law, I recall the IDPA community demonstrating no difference. One trick that I recall was of carrying a roll of coins in the concealing jacket's pocket and using it to fling the jacket aside for the draw.
Actually have tried that - found the weight of the coins added to the printing effect.

Simply practicing/training to use the curled little finger (booger hook) to flip the garment back works fine. Your elbow close to your side (normal position) will help this until you have cleared leather.

Alternately, pulling the opposite side of the cover garment forward with your non-dominate hand clears the draw stroke of the hindrance.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Alternately, pulling the opposite side of the cover garment forward with your non-dominate hand clears the draw stroke of the hindrance.

If you have to use your offhand, your mode of carry sucks.

The title of this thread should be "Is Concealed Carry tactically wise?", to which of course the answer is, "no".

Last edited:

carolina guy

I gather your stance is that your openly carried firearm will serve as a deterrent to the criminal element and by-and-large it does. What happens the one time that it doesn't? I submit that if you're very lucky, it will end similar to these scenarios, but very likely could be worse:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/073106robNewtonPatton.htm
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/18/4189841/robber-swipes-gun-from-managers.html
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

I'd argue that I have more options in such a situation carrying concealed versus open. I have the choice to keep my firearm holstered, concealed and out of the perp's mind and further assess the situation. Whereas carrying openly almost guarantees that I'll be disarmed at the outset. Either way, whether open carrying or concealed carrying, I'm at an extreme disadvantage. The most ideal outcome would be to give them my money, wallet, phone, car keys in an attempt to get them to terminate the encounter and leave me be. However if I feel that the situation is deteriorating, I still retain the option of utilizing my handgun to terminate the encounter on my terms. Although, a hybrid Open Carry primary with a CCW Back-up Gun could possibly serve the best of both worlds. Once again, just one person's opinion.

Seat belts are a good thing until they are not...

carolina guy

tacitus42, thanks my life is complete now...

however, as the uncited addage goes:

one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist.

so put into another common sense aspect: one person's common sense should have some credibility shouldn't it or is the common sense espoused strictly hyperbole to bolster someone's attention getting antics?

further, how can anybody who wishes to validate someone's uncited and apparently unsubstantiated experience/conclusion to preclude duplication of their effort of a viable learning experience to obtain such sterling results as they posture in their posts.

ipse

Do you have a cite to support this?:rolleyes:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I gather your stance is that your openly carried firearm will serve as a deterrent to the criminal element and by-and-large it does. What happens the one time that it doesn't? I submit that if you're very lucky, it will end similar to these scenarios, but very likely could be worse:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/073106robNewtonPatton.htm
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/18/4189841/robber-swipes-gun-from-managers.html
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

I'd argue that I have more options in such a situation carrying concealed versus open. I have the choice to keep my firearm holstered, concealed and out of the perp's mind and further assess the situation. Whereas carrying openly almost guarantees that I'll be disarmed at the outset. Either way, whether open carrying or concealed carrying, I'm at an extreme disadvantage. The most ideal outcome would be to give them my money, wallet, phone, car keys in an attempt to get them to terminate the encounter and leave me be. However if I feel that the situation is deteriorating, I still retain the option of utilizing my handgun to terminate the encounter on my terms. Although, a hybrid Open Carry primary with a CCW Back-up Gun could possibly serve the best of both worlds. Once again, just one person's opinion.

The first one of those happened where I was living at the time. I don't remember the details, but I do remember it was decided that the original report was not credible, nor was the supposed victim.

The second one is vague and conveys nothing, other than working at convenience stores and smoke shops makes you a target.

The third one almost certainly didn't happen, based on the absence of one single concrete fact in the article.

Anyway, even if OC could make you a target (a premise I find highly doubtful), ask yourself which is more common (and thus statistically of greater concern): 1. a criminal targets you because he knows you're armed, or 2. a criminal targets you because he suspects you're disarmed.

Whereas case 1 has, at best, a few dubious occurrences, case 2 happens all the time, without any question. As carolina guy intimates, seatbelts have caused problems (folks get trapped or whatever). Does this mean seatbelts increase your risk? Or does the statistical likelihood of getting in an accident at all outweigh the much smaller chance that, subsequent to an accident, your seatbelt traps you?

As if CC making you a target for being apparently unarmed wasn't bad enough, once it does so you are left with no resort but to draw and utilize your firearm – there is no deterrent value whatever.

CC is tactically braindead.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Being left alone is the single greatest tactical advantage one can have.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you have to use your offhand, your mode of carry sucks.

The title of this thread should be "Is Concealed Carry tactically wise?", to which of course the answer is, "no".
No reason to take exception to such simple truths :)