• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Job interview... Carry or not?

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
It is not a legal difference, meaning the words are legally defined seperately. What I refer to is the perception of the judge/jury when they hear those two terms being used.

The NRA is very zealous in removing the use of the word "weapon" from your vocabulary during their instructor training courses. "Weapon" has the connotation of being offensive in nature. Weapons also encompass more than just firearms; think Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs), Nuclear Weapons, etc. Many (sheeple) who hear the word "weapon", associate it with death, often lots of it! An anti would never dream of using "select-fire firearm" in place of "assault weapon"! The use of the words firearm, handgun, rifle, and shotgun aren't perceived with the same aggressive tone as weapon. We go to war with weapons, but use firearms for a wide array of activities: self-defense, hunting, sporting purposes, etc.

Those who have served in the military have the word ingrained in the psyche, most can probably recall the unfortunate servicemember who referred to their rifle as a "gun" instead of rifle or weapon. The ensuing on-the-spot correction has the servicemember holding the rifle in the air with one hand, grabbing the crotch with the other, and singing something like "This is my weapon, this is my gun - this is for killin', this is for fun."

There are differences in the legal definitions:
Weapon: http://definitions.uslegal.com/w/weapon/
Firearm: http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/firearms/

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Buy a KelTec. Put it in your pocket. Stop worrying.

You shouldn't have to put up with anti-american prejudice like that, but since you do, carry anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of subject you won't be talking about in your job interview. Make the gun one of them.

I am never disarmed.

Baked on Grease

I wonder how long, if ever, lawful carry will become a protected class.

To us it seems horrible to discriminate against someone who is simply wanting to have the ability to defend themselves.

That's what the Black Panthers in Cali thought in the 1960's when they started carrying :p

Marco

The NRA is very zealous in removing the use of the word "weapon" from your vocabulary during their instructor training courses. "Weapon" has the connotation of being offensive in nature.

So how does the NRA deal with FL since they issue a CWP?
What are they going to do if/when VA no longer issues CHP's and starts issuing CWP's?

Those who have served in the military have the word ingrained in the psyche, most can probably recall the unfortunate servicemember who referred to their rifle as a "gun" instead of rifle or weapon. The ensuing on-the-spot correction has the servicemember holding the rifle in the air with one hand, grabbing the crotch with the other, and singing something like "This is my weapon, this is my gun - this is for killin', this is for fun."

As I recall it was "this is for fightn', this is for fun.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As I recall it was "this is for fightn', this is for fun.

That can be construed differently. For instance, us mountain people could envision::lol:

This is for fightn'

d4a8c081aa703f738ecaf76510e20fab

this is for fun.

sheep-4.jpg

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
Its all just PC

In fact it really does not matter much what you call your carry piece. Call it a firearm if you like, but at the moment you decide to point it at a live target and squeeze off a round, it is a weapon. It is the intent of the possessor and the manner of use at that moment that matters and not the subtile semantics you use in informal discussions. The fact is that neither "weapon" or "Firearm" are particularly precise terms. Handgun would actaully be more appropriate than firearm, unless you routinely open carry a rifle, shotgun, howitzer, or other form firearm. "Weapon" also includes a lot of things outside the definition of firearm, so it is not really a very good choice either. Nobody, including Ayoob has yet to show one single case where these sorts of distinctions have actually changed the course of a case at law. It is all based on an unrealized fear that it MIGHT be adverse to your case. Please provide citations support the inverse if you find any.

Regards

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't carry a weapon... I have a firearm.

Weapon: A thing designed or used for inflicting harm or physical damage.

A means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest

Synonyms for weapon:
Arms arm gun

so-i-stood-up-up-and-told-that-teachin-lady-the-only-3-letters-i-need-to-know-are-u-s-and-a.jpg

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

snatale42

I will soon find myself without income as the new year comes, and as such have been on the hunt for a new source. My question, as presented in the title, is your opinions on carrying for the interview, either CC or OC.

Some of the positions I have been applying for are armed service postions, so I would be carrying on the job anyway. Don't worry, I won't turn into a Mall Ninja.

I am on the fence about it, and of course they can't complain about what they can't see, but I am still interested in your take on this.

Sent using tapatalk

Concealed is always better for interviews....BUT, if the company employees armed people I really can't see them having in issue with it either. If there OK with you defending THEM while on the clock, but not YOU when off, there a scum company and don't deserve good help.

Baked on Grease

In fact it really does not matter much what you call your carry piece. Call it a firearm if you like, but at the moment you decide to point it at a live target and squeeze off a round, it is a weapon. It is the intent of the possessor and the manner of use at that moment that matters and not the subtile semantics you use in informal discussions. The fact is that neither "weapon" or "Firearm" are particularly precise terms. Handgun would actaully be more appropriate than firearm, unless you routinely open carry a rifle, shotgun, howitzer, or other form firearm. "Weapon" also includes a lot of things outside the definition of firearm, so it is not really a very good choice either. Nobody, including Ayoob has yet to show one single case where these sorts of distinctions have actually changed the course of a case at law. It is all based on an unrealized fear that it MIGHT be adverse to your case. Please provide citations support the inverse if you find any.

Regards

I am on my phone so I can't go and google but somewhere in the internetz is a study of perception that relates to this. The only way you can verify that one term usage is what swung the jury is to interogate each and every one after voting, which is illegal if I recall. Otherwise you have to rely on studies/surveys of how people respond to certain terms.

Last edited: