• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Pierce on the BBC News

LkWd_Don

Merry Christmas, Don!

Just to take your three points in turn. You start by highlighting the sentence where I suggest you look at an onward link from the webpage (a pdf which gives fitting instructions). Did you read it? With the older Colt featured on that sheet you would see you do not need a machine shop for the modification. It is said that large numbers of weapons were modified in this way in the 1970s and 80s. I think a lot of these parts still exist though I doubt that they are still fitted (quite illegal of course). I thought that in other answers members did make a valid counter point that some manufacturers have tried to make the bolt carrier on newer guns more different from the M16. Against this though there is a spectrum of variants, with a lot of older guns still around, and I was arguing against the claim that somebody would need to manufacture a trigger mechanism from scratch in a machine shop (like saying that somebody in the UK could make a machine gun from scratch with the right gear), when the links show that certain companies have in the past made kits that require much less work. The part of your post about the need for both machining and additional M16 parts applies only to those modifiers who want to duplicate the original selective fire switch - that isn't necessary just to use the lightening link.

On point 2, as should be evident from my previous mention of selective fire switching, I was saying the two final weapons in the list provide the other two options plus a fully auto setting. The point isn't that I am obsessed with spraying, but that, as ex-service men have said, they would not normally use the M4 on auto to suppress enemy fire because that option does not exist except on special forces variants. If the officer in the video had compared the killer's Bushmaster M4 with the standard military M4 (which some would call an assault rifle, though I know it is a carbine) he would have had to show that it only has the two way switch and the 3 shot burst wouldn't have made the point he wanted to make.

On point 3, the controversy about the M16 in Vietnam and Government's decision to classify the info are matters of record. Was it the barrel twist rate, or the construction of the round? It is hard to be sure but do an internet search and you will see there is much comment on this. You can also read Alexander Rose's (2008) 'American Rifle; a Biography', pp 372-75. You may argue that modern rifles have higher twist rates and that the NATO 5.56 round is not the Vietnam M193, but if I had to be hit I'd pick the .22LR rather than the others.

I did read your point about the history of the AR-15 but it did not make sense to me. Are you really saying that the AR-10 was scaled down to 5.56mm by ArmaLite with the civilian market in mind? All I can say is that there is a lot written that does not fit with that.

I most certainly don't say that you guys are bigots, although I do believe that the attempt to erect a hard distinction between the military M4 and the .22 sporting rifle M4 is dishonest. The argument about the right to bear arms on the other hand is honest and puts the issues fairly on the table for people to debate. In my opinion a discussion like we've had may help both sides firm up their arguments, but I suspect members will be getting bored by now so will try to desist.

P.S. My PVR recorded the interview but I am sorry to say I have since deleted this.

Go back to your first link about the DIAS and take a close look at the Hammer. I am posting the pictures I want you to see.
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

I have handled enough Civilian AR15's and various M16 variants, to know that the hammer shown is not stock on a Civilian AR15 (not even the original Civilian Colt AR15) but is actually the hammer from an M16.
dias_colt.jpg
The Civilian Hammer's did not have the catch for the sear cast at the bottom back of them, as the civilian models had no need for that.
dias_installed.jpg

Not personally being a Gunsmith, or someone who has sold AR's, let's hear from someone who has.

Your other points are as worthless, so I will not even respond to them as it is clear to me that you continue to delude yourself.

Last edited:

Aknazer

Merry Christmas, Don!

Just to take your three points in turn. You start by highlighting the sentence where I suggest you look at an onward link from the webpage (a pdf which gives fitting instructions). Did you read it? With the older Colt featured on that sheet you would see you do not need a machine shop for the modification. It is said that large numbers of weapons were modified in this way in the 1970s and 80s. I think a lot of these parts still exist though I doubt that they are still fitted (quite illegal of course). I thought that in other answers members did make a valid counter point that some manufacturers have tried to make the bolt carrier on newer guns more different from the M16. Against this though there is a spectrum of variants, with a lot of older guns still around, and I was arguing against the claim that somebody would need to manufacture a trigger mechanism from scratch in a machine shop (like saying that somebody in the UK could make a machine gun from scratch with the right gear), when the links show that certain companies have in the past made kits that require much less work. The part of your post about the need for both machining and additional M16 parts applies only to those modifiers who want to duplicate the original selective fire switch - that isn't necessary just to use the lightening link.

Here you go again. "With the older Colt..." but that requires a criminal to go specifically hunting down such a thing as opposed to walking into a store and buying a gun. And as someone in the U.S. who also goes to gun stores and gun shows I can tell you that it isn't as easy to find one of these old weapons as you're making it out to be. Are they out there? Sure. Can you just walk into any place and find one while also knowing that it is the right brand/year? No. Not to mention that in hunting down such a specific brand/year you run the risk of drawing attention to yourself...something a person who plans on committing a crime does NOT want. Which brings us right back to how one needs to do machining/milling to get the stuff to work with modern AR15 designs. And YES this applies to the Lightning Link as well.

On point 2, as should be evident from my previous mention of selective fire switching, I was saying the two final weapons in the list provide the other two options plus a fully auto setting. The point isn't that I am obsessed with spraying, but that, as ex-service men have said, they would not normally use the M4 on auto to suppress enemy fire because that option does not exist except on special forces variants. If the officer in the video had compared the killer's Bushmaster M4 with the standard military M4 (which some would call an assault rifle, though I know it is a carbine) he would have had to show that it only has the two way switch and the 3 shot burst wouldn't have made the point he wanted to make.

You're again not understanding terms. A military M4 is an assault rifle. An assault rifle means that it has a select-fire feature. An M4 is ALSO a carbine. A carbine means that is a shorter version of the gun (the M16 would be the "full size" version of the M4) and this is normally achieved by shortening the barrel. You also don't understand what those of us servicemen are saying. Full-auto/3rd burst are primarily used for suppression and as such we would pretty much only use semi-auto UNLESS we were in a situation where we needed to suppress the enemy. Also the full-auto feature exists on more than the spec ops variants. I just got back and we had the GUU-5/P which is effectively an M4 with full auto (its a full auto, size of the M4, but sights/carrying handle of the M16, frankin-gun used by certain aircrew). Also the point of the 3rd burst was that it was found in Vietnam that people would just unload their whole mag, and beancounters found it more cost-effective mechanically limit soldiers to 3rounds per trigger-pull than to give them the proper training to effectively use full-auto without wasting the whole mag.

On point 3, the controversy about the M16 in Vietnam and Government's decision to classify the info are matters of record. Was it the barrel twist rate, or the construction of the round? It is hard to be sure but do an internet search and you will see there is much comment on this. You can also read Alexander Rose's (2008) 'American Rifle; a Biography', pp 372-75. You may argue that modern rifles have higher twist rates and that the NATO 5.56 round is not the Vietnam M193, but if I had to be hit I'd pick the .22LR rather than the others.

There's multiple issues that you're twisting here. The first is that we have shown that the 5.56 round is not as destructive as standard hunting rounds. You keep pointing back to this Vietnam bit, but that doesn't change the fact that the round isn't as destructive as standard hunting rounds. You also are acting as if a bullet shouldn't be destructive...but that's kinda the point of them. And then you again bring up the .22LR when it has nothing to do with the discussion as it isn't a standard U.S. hunting round (it is a small-game/target practice round). The only way the .22LR could reasonably be brought up is if you are again assuming that .22 caliber=.22LR only (which is a false assumption but standard for antis and ignorant people).

I did read your point about the history of the AR-15 but it did not make sense to me. Are you really saying that the AR-10 was scaled down to 5.56mm by ArmaLite with the civilian market in mind? All I can say is that there is a lot written that does not fit with that.

Lets look at some of the quotes from the link. "An early "AR" rifle was the AR-10, chambered for the 7.62mm NATO round (same as the .308 Winchester). The AR-10 was not a commercial success and was never produced in great numbers." This statement shows that the AR-10 was originally made with the civilian (commercial) market in mind.

Then we have "Later design efforts produced the AR-15, a semi-automatic rifle chambered for the smaller 5.56mm round, which is essentially the same as the .223 Remington. Armalite could not persuade the US military to adopt this early AR-15 design, and so the company fell into financial difficulty. Therefore, in 1959 the patent was sold to Colt. Despite a change of ownership, the "AR" prefix stuck and, as the rifle gained fame and became a commercial success, it became known as the "Colt AR-15". (Some people believe the "AR" stands for "Automatic Rifle"... it actually stands for "Armalite"). The USAF first ordered the rifle in a select fire configuration (semi-automatic or full automatic) in the 1960s and designated this rifle as the M-16. Other service branches quickly followed suit and adopted the M-16 as their standard battle rifle." This is stating that AR15 was indeed sold on the civilian market and became a commercial success unlike the AR-10. It also means that the military approached Colt about using the rifle AFTER it became a success...which is kind of ironic since ArmaLite originally designed it for the military but they weren't interested in it at that time.

None of these statements are saying that the AR-15 was simply "scaled down" from the AR-10 with the civilian market in mind (the "failure" of the AR-10 simply helped lead to the selling of the AR-15 patent to Colt). The AR-15 was designed with the military in mind, the military didn't want it, Armalite hit finanical issues and sold the patent to Colt, Colt sold it on the civilian market as the "Colt AR-15" and it was a success, the military then approached Colt about using the gun but also asked for it to have select-fire, this new gun with select-fire was labelled the M16, and as such the M16 is actually based off of a semi-auto that the military didn't want and as such the semi-auto ended up being successful in the civilian market before the M16 was created.

I most certainly don't say that you guys are bigots, although I do believe that the attempt to erect a hard distinction between the military M4 and the .22 sporting rifle M4 is dishonest. The argument about the right to bear arms on the other hand is honest and puts the issues fairly on the table for people to debate. In my opinion a discussion like we've had may help both sides firm up their arguments, but I suspect members will be getting bored by now so will try to desist.

I think it is dishonest to try and say that there aren't specific distinctions. For example, since you have now brought up the M4, a military M4 is going to also have a barrel shorter than 16" and this means it has to be registered with the government and isn't something one can simply walk into a store and buy because it is a SBR. And obviously there's the select-fire difference between the two. There's also various other steps that manufacturers have taken to help prevent easy conversion to full-auto.

Tolerance

side thought:
my 3" swiss army knife is constructed of stainless steel blades. military bayonets used to be made of mild steel (not sure what they're constructed of currently). stainless steel is stronger than mild steel. does that mean my 3" swiss army knife is military bayonet style? does it mean my swiss army knife is as deadly or MORE deadly than a military bayonet? by common logic strictly of the construction, yes. but common sense obviously says no, and knowledge of the other characteristics obviously make it a big no.

The last bayonet I saw was made out of ASM4140 Mild Steel. At full harness it is something like 53 on the Rockwell hardness test. Something like 250KPSI Tensile strength. 17-4PH Stainless by comparison is only a 31 on the same scale, 144KPSI.

Just words to the wise, don't get sucked into the whole "Stainless steel is stronger" Fad, it's only more corrosion resistant on average.:banana:

ON TOPIC: Sorry, I am a Machinist and Welder/Metallurgist and the "Modifications" that :banghead:UK OBSERVER:banghead: is talking about are not easy to do. From a purely technical side it would take many hours, 20+, in a machine shop, for each piece. Also, you would have to have an advanced knowledge of machining skills, jig use and manufacture, and metallurgical properties. You would also need access to original blueprints or the original parts to measure.

Also, the new polymer lower receivers would be dangerous to modify, I doubt they would stand the test of full auto.

:idea:Oddly enough, the idea that someone would manufacture an illegal full auto selector switch on a firearm would point to the school shooters glock. The glock has much fewer moving parts and is extremely easy to convert. The parts you would need to make could actually be made with a bandsaw and set of files, plus the information is readily available on the internet.

:cuss: I DO NOT ADVOCATE MODIFYING OR OWNING FIREARMS THAT ARE ILLEGAL OR POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS! :cuss:

eye95

The point should be that these modifications are not the problem. None of these shooters are doing these mods. It is a distraction from the real issue, a distraction designed to imply that guns are the problem.

The problem is defense-free zones. These shooters are picking places where there will be no guns that can shoot back--including a place where we keep that which is most precious: our children!

Stop letting bigoted antis, like the OP, distract you from the real argument: We need to be able to defend ourselves and our children. That is the point of the 2A. When we go against the 2A, we increase peril; we do not lessen it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

LkWd_Don

The point should be that these modifications are not the problem. None of these shooters are doing these mods. It is a distraction from the real issue, a distraction designed to imply that guns are the problem.

The problem is defense-free zones. These shooters are picking places where there will be no guns that can shoot back--including a place where we keep that which is most precious: our children!

Stop letting bigoted antis, like the OP, distract you from the real argument: We need to be able to defend ourselves and our children. That is the point of the 2A. When we go against the 2A, we increase peril; we do not lessen it.

<o>

You make many excellent points.

Commenting on what I emphasized> But it is so fun to show just how stupid they are! :banana:

Xulld

Regarding the UK Cumbria case, it is true that no law can get rid of the problem completely.

What is true is that a law whose deterrent value is less than that which is the deterrent for murder CANNOT have any impact on the decision to commit such a tragedy.

I would love to see your comment on what deterrent value any law regarding possession of such a device can achieve when the use of the device to commit murder has a greater penalty and thus should have greater deterrent as a result.

If you agree it can have no greater deterrent value than the penalty for murder itself, then what exactly are you trying to achieve with such a law?

Last edited:

Eeyore

3. Does not the combination of high velocity and yawing on impact make this a destructive round?

IIRC, C.J. Chivers' book The Gun offers some illuminating info on this point. One of the changes made since the original M-16 design (I don't know if it was the -A1 or -A2 version) was a change to the rifling. The intended effect was to increase accuracy at longer ranges, with a side-effect being that the bullet tumbles (yaws) less. Presumably most AR-15s feature the "improved" rifling. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

An interesting muzzle energy chart is posted at http://www.gunbanfacts.com//Get_the_Facts/Myths.aspx under "Myth #7." This chart confirms UK Observer's assertion that .223 is a very different round than .22LR--in energy if not diameter and weight--which we all already knew. However, I believe Mr. Pierce's intent (and only he can confirm this) was not to mislead by conflating .223 with .22LR, but rather to emphasize that "high capacity" is very different than "high caliber" or "high power." Note on the chart that energy for NATO 5.56mm isn't posted, but the muzzle energy for .223 is roughly half that of the 30-'06 or Winchester .308 rounds. Media reporting tends not to differentiate these terms properly, with the result that readers/listeners/viewers believe that .223 weapons are "high power."

Aknazer

IIRC, C.J. Chivers' book The Gun offers some illuminating info on this point. One of the changes made since the original M-16 design (I don't know if it was the -A1 or -A2 version) was a change to the rifling. The intended effect was to increase accuracy at longer ranges, with a side-effect being that the bullet tumbles (yaws) less. Presumably most AR-15s feature the "improved" rifling. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

An interesting muzzle energy chart is posted at http://www.gunbanfacts.com//Get_the_Facts/Myths.aspx under "Myth #7." This chart confirms UK Observer's assertion that .223 is a very different round than .22LR--in energy if not diameter and weight--which we all already knew. However, I believe Mr. Pierce's intent (and only he can confirm this) was not to mislead by conflating .223 with .22LR, but rather to emphasize that "high capacity" is very different than "high caliber" or "high power." Note on the chart that energy for NATO 5.56mm isn't posted, but the muzzle energy for .223 is roughly half that of the 30-'06 or Winchester .308 rounds. Media reporting tends not to differentiate these terms properly, with the result that readers/listeners/viewers believe that .223 weapons are "high power."

Or he could have been showing an issue with how the term "caliber" was being used given how a .223 is effectively the same caliber as a .22LR since it's not the caliber that makes something "high powered." Without actually seeing the clip/transcript we really can't say though.

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

Or he could have been showing an issue with how the term "caliber" was being used given how a .223 is effectively the same caliber as a .22LR since it's not the caliber that makes something "high powered." Without actually seeing the clip/transcript we really can't say though.

How about this, Regardless of whether it is a .22LR or a .223 the actual dimension of the bullet/slug is .224
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/rel...ding-ammo-components-c-10301_16184_16246.html

This in itself is proof that the bullet as stated by John Pierce being a .223 is the same as a .22 caliber is fact!

Can this thread come to an end now? Or will the uneducated continue to argue it?

UK Observer

How about this, Regardless of whether it is a .22LR or a .223 the actual dimension of the bullet/slug is .224
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/rel...ding-ammo-components-c-10301_16184_16246.html

This in itself is proof that the bullet as stated by John Pierce being a .223 is the same as a .22 caliber is fact!

Can this thread come to an end now? Or will the uneducated continue to argue it?

The thread has probably run its course, but interestingly you'll see that others are discussing similar technical questions with some post-Newtown comments added:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/05/03/guest-post-22-lr-vs-223-rem/

Incidentally I make the calibre difference .224 vs .223 - not a lot, but that isn't the main difference.

On the USAF carbine variants (see earlier post) you'll see there are many hybrids and the GUU-5/P mentioned seems hard to pin down (and unusually it seems to have a four-way selective fire switch - including safety).

http://pullig.dyndns.org/retroblackrifle/ModGde/CrbGde/USAFGdeCrb.html

eye95

It would be nice if the OP would have posted a clip or a transcript. Instead, we only have his jaundiced word for what John said.

If I find it, I will post it. I hope others poke around for it too.

<o>

LkWd_Don

The thread has probably run its course, but interestingly you'll see that others are discussing similar technical questions with some post-Newtown comments added:

Incidentally I make the calibre difference .224 vs .223 - not a lot, but that isn't the main difference.

On the USAF carbine variants (see earlier post) you'll see there are many hybrids and the GUU-5/P mentioned seems hard to pin down (and unusually it seems to have a four-way selective fire switch - including safety).

Now you are trying to avoid that a .22LR or WMR and .223 Remington are all 22 Caliber bullets. Making your claim that John Pierce was mistaken, completely false!

Now after all your fallacious discussion about the ease of conversion of civilian AR's into Automatic Weapons, you are now trying to interject a discussion about clearly Military Weaponry into a discussion about Civilian AR's.

I would ask: Where does your sophistry end?

But your attempt at deception is not even subtle enough to qualify for that, it clearly indicates your lack of knowledge, and an extreme unwillingness to concede to the volumes of evidence which are showing that you are wrong.

Deanimator

Regarding killing power and the destructive effect of the NATO 5.56 round, this is something that has been widely reported but it is hard to be sure. There was extensive negative publicity about the nature of the wounds suffered by enemy combatants hit by M16s in Vietnam. This was blamed on tumbling due to the slow twist rate of 5.56mm ammunition, but according to others may have been due to bullet construction and fragmentation. In any event this led the US government to classify information from these wound reports until the 1980s.
Again, can you name a 7.62x51mm standard ball round that DOESN'T go base first in human flesh?

Dr. Fackler proved that SIPRI couldn't.

Is there a 7.62x51mm ball round that you'd LIKE to be shot with?

Aknazer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR-15

Scroll down to the GUU-5/P section. It isn't that hard to pin down and there aren't many variants. What you linked just shows the progression the gun has taken over the years as the AF has slowly changed out its inventory. Also the "GAU" is simply the older naming system before the AF changed it to be called the GUU. You will also notice in your own link that all of those pictures are old ("newest" date listed on those pics is 2001) and they can't even fully identify the guns and instead are simply going off of the look instead of the actual serial number (given that a lot of those are being used for training with blanks I wouldn't be surprised for them to have even older configurations than what was being used on the battlefield when those pictures were taken). The only reason for all the "variants" is because the AF doesn't exactly spend a lot of money on weapons for most of its soldiers and as such it does an incrimental change-over. So an older build will be used for awhile as the AF switches over. But all GUUs use the full-auto system and no, they don't have 4 positions (not even sure where you got that idea).

And as other people are pointing out, you seem to be avoiding/deflecting the whole .22 caliber bit. A .22LR vs .223/5.56mm vs .22 WMR are ALL .22 CALIBER. The difference is in the size of the cartridge. Just as how the 7.62x51 vs 7.62x39 are both .308 caliber even though the 7.62x51 is far more powerful. Or look at the .50cal handgun vs the .50cal sniper rifles/machine guns. All that caliber tells you is the diameter of the bullet and as such you have done nothing to show that John made a false statement.

UK Observer

You have to remember that my core argument all along has been that describing a round as .22 calibre in a sporting rifle will for a British viewer suggest .22LR rather than .223/5.56mm, and so that is my primary comparison. If you look at the way this thread unfolded it was put to me that the murder rifle was in fact a .22LR,, even though the expert concerned does not seem to realise that Bushmaster don't currently make a version of the M4 Patrolman (the murder weapon) in .22LR. In fact there is a small difference in calibre, so that a .22LR (actual diameter .223 and not .224) fired in a 5.56mm with conversion kit (e.g. SA80) is slightly less accurate.

To take the 2nd last comment, my point that the 5.56mm/.223 cartridge is said to be quite a destructive round is countered with the question about 7.62mm. I wouldn't want to be shot with either round thank you, but at the time when most of the modern armies shifted to the smaller calibre ammunition decision makers did look at some evidence that the smaller round might inflict severe wounds. I think myself that there is evidence pointing both ways, but here is an example of a widely-cited study.

Acta Chir Scand Suppl. 1982;508:211-21.
Wounding effects of two types of bullets on soft tissue of dogs.
Liu YQ, Wu BJ, Xie GP, Chen ZC, Tang CG, Wang ZG.

Abstract
'The wounding effects of 5.56 and 7.62 mm calibre bullets, hitting on soft tissues of 130 dogs at various velocities ranging from 513 to 933 m/s have been studied. The injury caused by 5.56 mm bullet was more severe than that caused by 7.62 mm bullet. This is due to the difference in ballistic behavior between the two types of bullets. The wound caused by 5.56 mm bullet was characterized by a trumpet-shaped channel with large defect. The skin around the exit was torn away and its shape was irregular, which, however, occurred only when the tumbling and the breaking of the bullet existed. High-speed X-ray photograph demonstrated that in 5.56 mm bullet group, temporary cavity was much larger and lasted longer. Splashing phenomenon could be seen at the exit and the fragments of the bullet could be found somewhere. Based on the comparisons the amount of absorbed energy, the volume of wound channel, the frequency of developing complex wound and the ratio of dimensions between the entrance and the exit, it proved that the injury caused by 5.56 mm bullet was several to dozens of time as severe as that caused by 7.62 mm bullet. Nevertheless, wound extents by both types of bullet would be similar if the inflicting bullet did not show any significant tumbling, breaking or deformation.'

Please don't rehash the point about recent reports from the Middle East of rounds passing right through targets without incapacitating them: I know that already and it is not critical to the argument that the civilian AR-15 with NATO 5.56 ammunition fired on semi behaves similarly to a military M4/M16 on semi (and yes of course the M4 carbine has less range than the longer barrelled version).

Right through this discussion members have conveniently forgotten that many of the points I have responded to were raised in the first instance by them. For example, the counter to my point that military M4s only have semi and burst modes, are not full auto, and so aren't as different from civilian versions as the officer in a cited Youtube video says, was to mention the GUU-5/P. But when I point out that this is an exotic hybrid beast made of re-cycled parts I am accused of going off topic. The source of the info on the selector is the webpage link (why I said 'seems') - I don't think the last poster read it properly.

The argument that in the past AR-15s were modified by non-professionals at home is again a supporting rather than central part of my case, meant to illustrate that the military and civilian AR-15s are from the same 'family' and not just cosmetically similar though in fact completely different beasts. In other words the argument is not that criminals will actually accomplish a conversion or be more successful in their killing sprees if they do, but that they are using a weapon similar to a military weapon (and which some have converted to remove the claimed point of difference in the past). I'm not sure if my critics ever did look at the instruction sheet for the early Colt. And, yes, I know that current models would need milling/drilling etcetera of the lower receiver and bolt carrier and that the penalties that apply make this a crazy thing to do.
http://www.quarterbore.com/images/link_instructions.jpg

I really must say 'bye bye' now. I fully understand your interest in a hobby that we share (though in my case at a more modest level compatible with UK law): I suppose we don't see eye-to-eye because I do accept that a limited amount of control has to be at least discussed.

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

You have to remember that my core argument all along has been that describing a round as .22 calibre in a sporting rifle will for a British viewer suggest .22LR rather than .223/5.56mm, and so that is my primary comparison.
Your core post was that John Pierce was mistaken when he called the bushmaster a 22 caliber. Care for a remider?
UK Observer said:
John said ‘the gun that he used was not a high calibre gun, it was 22 calibre gun. And it was not a military-style weapon it was simply a semi automatic twenty two. ...

And so that it is clear, it was not a gun that John used, John, if there really was an interview, was explaining about the Bushmaster used by the murderer in the CT shooting in that Goverment protected GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE.

UK Observer said:
If you look at the way this thread unfolded it was put to me that the murder rifle was in fact a .22LR,
Again, it appears that I must remind you of what the facts are!
UK Observer said:
1. Is not the calibre of the Bushmaster AR-15 actually .223 and not .22?
It was you who interjected that. Go back to your own OP and read it for yourself. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...the-BBC-News&p=1869204&viewfull=1#post1869204

UK Observer said:
even though the expert concerned does not seem to realise that Bushmaster don't currently make a version of the M4 Patrolman (the murder weapon) in .22LR.
Where did John Pierce say this. First off, an M4 is a Military Weapon! Not a Civilian AR15 variant.

You still have not even posted a link to his interview, which after all your other mistatements, misconceptions, and complete fallacies, makes me wonder if you know how to be honest.

UK Observer said:
In fact there is a small difference in calibre, so that a .22LR (actual diameter .223 and not .224) fired in a 5.56mm with conversion kit (e.g. SA80) is slightly less accurate.

Excuse me, you still continue to dishonestly twist things! The actual diameter of a .223 is .224 yet you say it is NOT! Again, another falsehood!

Then you go back to a non-existent conversion kit.. Where was it said by anyone that any of the AR15's used recently in any of the criminal activities across the USA in the last few months have had conversion kits installed?

You will not be able to show any, because it is not true! Only you have so incorrectly insisted such!

None were so converted or there would have been mass media coverage about that. There has been none, just your continued erroneous pontifications.

eye95

UK: Your core argument about British viewers fails because the overwhelming majority of your population (including you) is completely ignorant about firearms because most of you never even see one, let alone touch one, or *gasp* fire one. What you "know" is clearly regurgitated from sites that have an anti-bent.

I know of your ignorance because of your bigoted inability to budge from your regurgitated views despite post after post (from folks who know a LOT about firearms) pointing out where your fundamental assumptions are just plain wrong.

If you had moved one iota from your original thinking, I'd have some respect for your thought processes on the matter of firearms. As it stands now, I'd say that you could write a passable high school paper from a predetermined point of view. Watch out for plagiarism, though. Without original thought, that could be a real problem.

<o>

Aknazer

You have to remember that my core argument all along has been that describing a round as .22 calibre in a sporting rifle will for a British viewer suggest .22LR rather than .223/5.56mm, and so that is my primary comparison. If you look at the way this thread unfolded it was put to me that the murder rifle was in fact a .22LR,, even though the expert concerned does not seem to realise that Bushmaster don't currently make a version of the M4 Patrolman (the murder weapon) in .22LR. In fact there is a small difference in calibre, so that a .22LR (actual diameter .223 and not .224) fired in a 5.56mm with conversion kit (e.g. SA80) is slightly less accurate.

If the british viewer were to assume he meant .22LR when he said .22 caliber then that is the fault of the viewer in not properly understanding the subject, and not the fault of the speaker unless the speaker was deliberately trying to take advantage of their ignorance.

To take the 2nd last comment, my point that the 5.56mm/.223 cartridge is said to be quite a destructive round is countered with the question about 7.62mm. I wouldn't want to be shot with either round thank you, but at the time when most of the modern armies shifted to the smaller calibre ammunition decision makers did look at some evidence that the smaller round might inflict severe wounds. I think myself that there is evidence pointing both ways, but here is an example of a widely-cited study.

Acta Chir Scand Suppl. 1982;508:211-21.
Wounding effects of two types of bullets on soft tissue of dogs.
Liu YQ, Wu BJ, Xie GP, Chen ZC, Tang CG, Wang ZG.

Abstract
'The wounding effects of 5.56 and 7.62 mm calibre bullets, hitting on soft tissues of 130 dogs at various velocities ranging from 513 to 933 m/s have been studied. The injury caused by 5.56 mm bullet was more severe than that caused by 7.62 mm bullet. This is due to the difference in ballistic behavior between the two types of bullets. The wound caused by 5.56 mm bullet was characterized by a trumpet-shaped channel with large defect. The skin around the exit was torn away and its shape was irregular, which, however, occurred only when the tumbling and the breaking of the bullet existed. High-speed X-ray photograph demonstrated that in 5.56 mm bullet group, temporary cavity was much larger and lasted longer. Splashing phenomenon could be seen at the exit and the fragments of the bullet could be found somewhere. Based on the comparisons the amount of absorbed energy, the volume of wound channel, the frequency of developing complex wound and the ratio of dimensions between the entrance and the exit, it proved that the injury caused by 5.56 mm bullet was several to dozens of time as severe as that caused by 7.62 mm bullet. Nevertheless, wound extents by both types of bullet would be similar if the inflicting bullet did not show any significant tumbling, breaking or deformation.'

Please don't rehash the point about recent reports from the Middle East of rounds passing right through targets without incapacitating them: I know that already and it is not critical to the argument that the civilian AR-15 with NATO 5.56 ammunition fired on semi behaves similarly to a military M4/M16 on semi (and yes of course the M4 carbine has less range than the longer barrelled version).

"3. Does not the combination of high velocity and yawing on impact make this a destructive round?" All rounds are destructive. It might be "more destructive" than others, but we have pointed out how there's plenty of hunting rounds that have more destructive power than the .223/5.56 round. We have shown how the .223/5.56 is actually viewed as underpowered and thus is banned in several states from being used to hunt deer or larger game. You even admit that this can go either way. So just accept that your initial question was too vague to get a proper response.

Right through this discussion members have conveniently forgotten that many of the points I have responded to were raised in the first instance by them. For example, the counter to my point that military M4s only have semi and burst modes, are not full auto, and so aren't as different from civilian versions as the officer in a cited Youtube video says, was to mention the GUU-5/P. But when I point out that this is an exotic hybrid beast made of re-cycled parts I am accused of going off topic. The source of the info on the selector is the webpage link (why I said 'seems') - I don't think the last poster read it properly.

The point of bringing up the GUU-5/P is that it shows not just spec ops get full auto weapons. And while it might be made of recycled parts, it is still a standard issue weapon for various people and as such isn't really rare/exotic unless you consider USAF aircrew to be rare/exotic as we're the primary ones that I've seen with these. Also it is a large difference for a weapon to be semi-auto only or have select-fire options. And I did see you say "seems" but again, after reading that page multiple times and inspecting the pictures, I still don't see how you got the idea that it has 4 different positions instead of 3. Please tell me what on the page gave you such an idea outside of "the page."

The argument that in the past AR-15s were modified by non-professionals at home is again a supporting rather than central part of my case, meant to illustrate that the military and civilian AR-15s are from the same 'family' and not just cosmetically similar though in fact completely different beasts. In other words the argument is not that criminals will actually accomplish a conversion or be more successful in their killing sprees if they do, but that they are using a weapon similar to a military weapon (and which some have converted to remove the claimed point of difference in the past). I'm not sure if my critics ever did look at the instruction sheet for the early Colt. And, yes, I know that current models would need milling/drilling etcetera of the lower receiver and bolt carrier and that the penalties that apply make this a crazy thing to do.
http://www.quarterbore.com/images/link_instructions.jpg

You are now changing what you meant from what you originally said. "6. Although the AR-15 sear/trigger mechanism is different from the M16 automatic mechanism, is it not the case that a drop in ‘lightening link’ can be purchased, which though illegal will convert the weapon to fully automatic mode? " that is what you had said. We have shown repeatedly why it is unreasonable (though not impossible) to think that the guns could be converted to fully automatic as you originally asked in #6. We have shown how even with most of the past guns you still needed to have a clue of what you were doing and/or buy special military equipment in order to make it work. We have shown how the gun was originally successful on the civilian market before the military adopted it. We have shown how nearly all gun designs have done time as military weapons.

Your original point was that if the answer was "yes" to most of your questions then John was dishonest. We have regularly shown how the answer to most of them was "no" and how the others were way too vague and that as such John was not being dishonest even if the ignorant masses of the UK misunderstood him. It has been you who has continued to be dishonest by constantly trying to change what you meant, ignoring what we have told you (you know, those who can actually use/own such weapons), and deflecting whenever someone has called you on your actions.

I really must say 'bye bye' now. I fully understand your interest in a hobby that we share (though in my case at a more modest level compatible with UK law): I suppose we don't see eye-to-eye because I do accept that a limited amount of control has to be at least discussed.

You don't accept a "limited" amount of control. You accept extremely heavy levels of control. And honestly I think you are saying 'bye bye' now because either you are too close-minded to actually listen to what we're telling you in regards to your questions asked, or because you only came here try try and stir stuff up. But remember, .223=.22 caliber and if the British don't realize this then they need to become better educated on what the word "caliber" means as opposed to thinking that those who use the term correctly are simply being "misleading."

Last edited:

John Canuck

I have to wonder, would the sensitivities of the Brits be less ruffled had the a-hole in conneticut used a 17 caliber rifle? That has to be better right? Not military like and all.

Would they be twice as outraged if he had used a 44 magnum? I would think you would really get your knickers in a wad at the thought of a criminal shooting children with a revolver powerful enough to shoot a man's head clean off...at least according to Dirty Harry who is likely as much of an expert on the topic as the OP. On the other hand, that's probably better since the revolver isn't as scary looking as the AR-15.

Would they be less interested if he had used a bolt action in .22-250, or a hatchet? I honestly cannot figure out why some people get so hung up on the little details, failing to even bother with the big picture.

As to the silliness of converting a semi-automatic rifle to full auto, I have two thoughts for them.

First, do some research on the North Hollywood Shooting. Two bank robbers armed with multiple assault rifles (actual automatic AK's, rather than the made up "assault weapon" title given the AR) with actual high capacity magazines (100 round drums rather than standard capacity 30 round magazines). These two fellas sprayed more than a thousand rounds and the only fatalities were themselves. Shooting fully auto doesn't equal a large body count.

Second, if it were so easy, there would be lots of crimes committed with a converted AR. Do you know of any?