• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just starting OCing, can we OC in costco IN va?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solus

in the northern va area!

welcome to the forum RKC...

nope, sorry RKC you signed a specific contact with costco stating no carrying of firearms, open or concealed-sloppily or properly, in their establishment! long discussions on this forum and on multiple places on the internet.

go to sams as they follow the state’s statutes where the are located and if allowed in the state it is allowed in their facilities.

again, thanks for visiting & enjoy OC’g in VA

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Costco is private property; therefore, they make the rules for all of their customers. It is a contractual agreement.

Maverick9

I think they just warn you and you can go put on a jacket or something. I wouldn't argue with them or wear cowboy six-guns in a flashy silver holster.

If you carried a dark handgun in a black holster close to the body and dressed upscale (or were a female) nobody would say anything to you but I'm just musing - don't violate your contract.

utbagpiper

Banned
in the northern va area!

Welcome.

I'm afraid you've thus far received some personal opinions rather than an authoritative answer to your question.

From the forum rules:

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

According to Handgun Law . US, "No Guns" signs do NOT have the force of law in Virginia.

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
“NO”
“No Firearm” signs in Virginia have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

It appears that the legal answer to your question is, YES, you may legally OC in Costcos in Virginia, at least until you are asked to leave.

What are the odds you will be asked to leave?

Costco does have a "No Firearms" policy stated in their "Member Privileges & Conditions", available at the Costco Webpage:

General Policies
• Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.

I will leave it to those local to the Northern Virginia area to offer their observations on the cultural climate regarding OC'd firearms and whether any particular business is likely to enforce corporate policy, or is more likely to ignore non-disruptive violations.

But I've never seen a Costco with metal detectors or doing a pat down of your person, so if one can legally CC, on-body CC while shopping at Costco--in locations where signs or "member agreement" policies don't carry any force of law and so carrying is legal--works out quite well.

All the best.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We do not encourage giving business/money to those organizations that oppose our right to self-defense.

The forum rule (#5) to which you refer, stipulating a cite, has no bearing here.

There have been some bad results of LEOs interacting (under the gun) with people violating the rules of Costco. I prefer to avoid that possibility.

This is one. There are likely others.
http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/cops-gun-down-man-for-legally-carrying-firearm/

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome.

I'm afraid you've thus far received some personal opinions rather than an authoritative answer to your question.

From the forum rules:

According to Handgun Law . US, "No Guns" signs do NOT have the force of law in Virginia.

It appears that the legal answer to your question is, YES, you may legally OC in Costcos in Virginia, at least until you are asked to leave.

What are the odds you will be asked to leave?

Costco does have a "No Firearms" policy stated in their "Member Privileges & Conditions", available at the Costco Webpage:

The thing no one is saying is that yes, you can carry, legally, in Costco. However, if you signed a member contract with them, you agreed not to.

Are you a law-abiding citizen who ALSO believes in integrity - in living up to one's word?

I will leave it to those local to the Northern Virginia area to offer their observations on the cultural climate regarding OC'd firearms and whether any particular business is likely to enforce corporate policy, or is more likely to ignore non-disruptive violations.

But I've never seen a Costco with metal detectors or doing a pat down of your person, so if one can legally CC, on-body CC while shopping at Costco--in locations where signs or "member agreement" policies don't carry any force of law and so carrying is legal--works out quite well.

All the best.

utbagpiper

Banned
The thing no one is saying is that yes, you can carry, legally, in Costco.

I wrote exactly that, with the caveat that it applies in States where "NO Gun" signs don't carry the force of law.

However, if you signed a member contract with them, you agreed not to.

Did I? Or did I simply pay my membership fees to gain entrance?

You know, in some States--Utah being one--a pharmacy is not allowed to be "members only" and so anyone, signed membership or not, can access the pharmacy.

Are you a law-abiding citizen who ALSO believes in integrity - in living up to one's word?

I don't believe in being excluded from civil society over bigoted policies that are not even attempted to be enforced. There is no more moral reason I should have to go down the street to find a store that likes my carrying than a homosexual couple should have to find a willing baker or photographer. Legally, there is a difference. I defy anyone who supports anti-discrimination laws to give me a solid moral difference.

Sit at the back of the bus if you like. I chose not to, even if others don't know I'm not.

bob13.jpg

utbagpiper

Banned
We do not encourage giving business/money to those organizations that oppose our right to self-defense.

1-That is a fine position to hold, if stated openly and honestly. But doing so is differently than implying any legal disability to being able to carry a gun in a private business that has a "no gun" policy in a State such as Virginia where such policies carry no force of law.

2-Is this "We do not encourage" an official position of OCDO I can find in the rules somewhere? Is it the use of the "Royal We" by our benevolent moderator? Or is there some group of select folks making these decisions for all OCDO members?

The forum rule (#5) to which you refer, stipulating a cite, has no bearing here.

Is this an opinion expressed as a regular poster with which other posters may civilly disagree? Or is this the decree of a moderator, disagreement with which will result in "made call" and penalties being dolled out?

There have been some bad results of LEOs interacting (under the gun) with people violating the rules of Costco. I prefer to avoid that possibility.

This is one. There are likely others.

Like the oft-repeated concerns about OC being subject to snatch and grab, I'll ask if even 2 additional verified incidents can be found. How many other perfectly legal activities are we going to avoid over the fear of a cop over-reacting?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-officer-philando-castile-20170620-story.html
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/07/philando_castile_permit.html

Just asking.

solus

snippp

From the forum rules:

All the best.

forgive me Charles, speaking of personal opinions as you were...

you are advising a member on this public forum to violate a contractual agreement with a private property owner?

you are stating VA no gun sign have no legal standing...

and yet fail to provide a single statutory reference and instead cite handgunlaw website...

by definition that is a flat out personal opinion!

simply precious Charles especially in a state which has known brandishing issues...

in the current firearm emotionally charged climate your advocacy to carry on could put the OP in signicant judical jeopardy!

my opinion on your proffered opinion!

solus

snipppp

I don't believe in being excluded from civil society over bigoted policies...snipped

Sit at the back of the bus if you like.
[\QUOTE]

Charles, i truly find it fasinating how you have such a fixation on switching carrying a firearm in a location where you have signed a contract you won’t carry into a tirade regarding your personal affinity of homophobia and ethnic rhetoric.

quite interesting, but to your credit, you are consistent with the subject matter rhetoric.

solus

1-That is a fine position to hold, if stated openly and honestly. But doing so is differently than implying any legal disability to being able to carry a gun in a private business that has a "no gun" policy in a State such as Virginia where such policies carry no force of law.

2-Is this "We do not encourage" an official position of OCDO I can find in the rules somewhere? Is it the use of the "Royal We" by our benevolent moderator? Or is there some group of select folks making these decisions for all OCDO members?

Is this an opinion expressed as a regular poster with which other posters may civilly disagree? Or is this the decree of a moderator, disagreement with which will result in "made call" and penalties being dolled out?

Like the oft-repeated concerns about OC being subject to snatch and grab, I'll ask if even 2 additional verified incidents can be found. How many other perfectly legal activities are we going to avoid over the fear of a cop over-reacting?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-officer-philando-castile-20170620-story.html

Just asking.

Charles, your example cited occurred in MN...

i have personally known a VA citizen who got arrested for brandishing and had to go through judical nonsense, paying legal fees, suffered mental anguish while the case drug on, only to be ultimately cleared of wrong doing!

as they used to say...there are eight million stories in the naked city and this is has been one of them!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Openly and honestly" is a 2 way street. A lack of integrity or a lack of consistency does not change that.

OCDO is private property and all registrants agree to abide by the rules - called decisions by administrators/moderators carry the same weight as printed rules. You, specifically you, are aware of this. Your sarcasm is duly noted and does not hold you in good stead.

When the degree of disagreement becomes tantamount to an attack on the moderator (publicly and by PM) then penalty may be anticipated. You have been warned to not conduct yourself in this manner, but alas to no avail.

Nice try, but I do not accept an imperfectly alleged snatch and grab in another state as even a little bit relevant to the question presented by the OP.

Just asking.
"Just asking" is not a get out of jail free card to be retained and used repeatedly.

Tilting with windmills is strange behavior, more so when the losing effort can be anticipated so easily. Albert Einstein has been alleged to have said, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome."

You have incoming mail.

Your account/membership has been frozen. You can still read w/o signing in - in fact you cannot login, nor edit your posts, nor post at all.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hopefully the OP has enough information to make an intelligent, informed decision.

This thread is being locked herewith.

Status
Not open for further replies.