• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just what is Green Top's policy regarding open carry?

Blk97F150

I think they may make a point of it now. Pat is the one most likely to say you need a permit (He and I once had a debate about if it was legal for anyone other than a LEO to carry a Taser)...so I think the policy is written in stone now.

Thats good news. I generally like Green Top, and have bought a couple of firearms from them over the years.

curtiswr

When I had my last issue they still had the "loaded guns by CHP and LEO only" sign up. Maybe they changed it since then, maybe they didn't. I don't believe I'll be going back to find out.

Jakeiscrazy

When I had my last issue they still had the "loaded guns by CHP and LEO only" sign up. Maybe they changed it since then, maybe they didn't. I don't believe I'll be going back to find out.

Well, they say it was a misunderstanding. That happens sometimes and they seem to have the issue cleared up. Mistakes happen it's only when they go uncorrected that they become a problem. I say we should move to bring more business to the store. Their neutrality and honesty regarding the matter should be rewarded IMO.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, they say it was a misunderstanding. That happens sometimes and they seem to have the issue cleared up. Mistakes happen it's only when they go uncorrected that they become a problem. I say we should move to bring more business to the store. Their neutrality and honesty regarding the matter should be rewarded IMO.

Actually...I agree with that. Greentops is an old friend....but, this is strike two with Curtis so I hope they have cleared it up.

Mistakes do happen, but they have hired a few idiots since it was sold. Granted some of the idiots have moved on to Bass Pro, but they can't keep making the same mistake and blaming it on the same cause.

curtiswr

Have you also got an email from every employee and manager there that says they understand that people in Virginia can legally open carry without a permit and that it is allowed in the store as stated by? It's great and all that the vice president says it is so, but if it ends up changing on a manager-by-manager, shift-by-shift basis then that's a big problem.

The email is still unclear, however.

"CHP and open carry are allowed at Green Top"

Translated literally he is saying "concealed handgun permit and open carry are allowed at Green Top." So is it that loaded (open) carry is allowed only with a permit... which is what the sign in question originally (assuming it has been changed) said? Or is he using "CHP" as a means to simply say concealed carry?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IF they see the need/desire for a sign, let me suggest:

.............We Support the Right of the People to Bear Arms

All persons legal qualified by proper authority are welcome to carry holstered handguns in our place of business. Do NOT handle loaded handguns. Loaded handguns shall be properly holstered at all times. Loaded long guns are NOT permitted.

All firearms brought in for servicing, trade or otherwise to be handled by our employees or customers shall be unloaded and action open.

No flames on the no loaded long guns thing - my feelings are the same as here on OCDO. It's a matter of trigger protection et al, not routine daily norm and trying to find something that will work from both sides of the counter.

You want to fit your favorite daily carry to a holster? Carry something else on your hip and bring your gun to be trail fitted in a safe condition and ASK for permission to fit it. That has always been my way and it will continue to be. It is just simply courteous and safety minded.

Thoughts?

curtiswr

I think that's understandable, but I'd prefer there be no sign as it was when I first went there. I would probably get rid of the "by proper authority" part, as that could more than likely be twisted by some to mean you need a CHP.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think that's understandable, but I'd prefer there be no sign as it was when I first went there. I would probably get rid of the "by proper authority" part, as that could more than likely be twisted by some to mean you need a CHP.

That's why I said if they still have a desire/need for a sign.

The "by proper authority" is only for the BG that doesn't make the cut - isn't the ultimate "proper authority" the 2nd Amendment? :lol:

Either way works for me though.

richarcm

Why did you show it to them?

Because I was running late for a birthday dinner and needed to find a last minute present. There are times when I am in a hurry when things like arguing policy is not worth the time it takes. Another instance would be when nature calls.

richarcm

I got a reply, the issue was just a misunderstanding:

"Mr. [name removed], these claims are not correct. We recently had an incident that due to inadequate instructions to our employees that this matter came up. CHP and open carry are allowed at Green Top. Our front door sign now reads that any firearm brought into the store for the purpose of trading or evaluation by our employees shall be unloaded with actions left open. Thanks for your concern and you are welcome to forward this to any party you wish .

Pat Hopkins
Vice President
Green Top Sporting Goods, Corp.
10193 Washington Hwy.
Glen Allen, VA 23059
"

It was allowed when I went in there a week and a half ago. I just had to show my permit first.

curtiswr

It was allowed when I went in there a week and a half ago. I just had to show my permit first.

The old offending sign was still up when I went on the 19th. It was on the left door, all the way towards the left.

I was up there about an hour ago just to check if it was gone and snap a picture if it wasn't. It has been removed. The new sign pertaining only to guns brought in for trade/sale/repair/etc... is up instead.

Not sure when they took the old one down BUT if they took it down to placate those upset with the policy, but are still enforcing the policy then it is no good.

Last edited:

67GT390FB

went in last night Oc'd with no issues, though i never have had one there. i did notice the newish register kiosk that is directly in front of the entrance was closed last night and i think this is where some of the problems have been coming from. i was there for over an hour. no one ever said a thing including Deputy Smith who I've known since i used to have my old business in hanover.

i think curtis must look suspicious or something :) or he makes the mistake of answering stupid questions by register jockeys. :)

curtiswr

So what you're saying is I should not wear my turban when I go in there? What about my shifty eyes and bulging jacket? :confused:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So what you're saying is I should not wear my turban when I go in there? What about my shifty eyes and bulging jacket? :confused:

It's the big guns Curtis. They don't like BIG GUNS...just little plastic ones.:banana:

67GT390FB

It's the big guns Curtis. They don't like BIG GUNS...just little plastic ones.:banana:

peter i still think it must be a problem with ole shifty eye curtis in flowing robes and a turban than with what type of gun he is carrying. :) speaking of big guns i caught something humorous last night in an episode of Justified on FX. The street dealer had expensive taste in firearms. he was carrying a 4" Colt python in either nickle or polished stainless, i think it was nickle. Same dealer had ok taste in cars as he was driving a 70-71 chevelle SS too.

curtiswr

The Redhawks need time outside too.

If you wore it, you may become a "turban legend" :)

I am only doing an homage to an established "turban legend," Hadji Singh. This is a common scene to spectators when I'm in Green Top:
ilj0qw.jpg

:lol:

peter i still think it must be a problem with ole shifty eye curtis in flowing robes and a turban than with what type of gun he is carrying. :) speaking of big guns i caught something humorous last night in an episode of Justified on FX. The street dealer had expensive taste in firearms. he was carrying a 4" Colt python in either nickle or polished stainless, i think it was nickle. Same dealer had ok taste in cars as he was driving a 70-71 chevelle SS too.

Are big guns and classic cars the trend in Hollywood now?

Dwayne Johnson's character in Faster carried a Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454casull and drove a '71 Chevelle SS.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I wanted to check and see if there had been clarification to all the Employees about the policy, so I spoke to one of the staff outside of Greentops.

Unfortunately, there has not been any communication about this, at least to him.
He understood the policy but nothing has been said recently about it.:banghead:

Not good Pat!