• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

military open carry

csanderlin

well i just joined military and when i get off base i live in a bad area i know 4 other miltary that been robbed i was wondering does anyone know if you can open carry i am waiting to get my cc soon just till then

decklin

well i just joined military and when i get off base i live in a bad area i know 4 other miltary that been robbed i was wondering does anyone know if you can open carry i am waiting to get my cc soon just till then

Are you Active, Guard, Reserve?
Unless your command has specifically prohibited open carry then it is not a problem. Anything prohibited by your unit/branch will be posted in a common area within your unit footprint. They may also issue a handbook.
Source: I'm a prior service 11B SGT.

EMNofSeattle

Are you Active, Guard, Reserve?
Unless your command has specifically prohibited open carry then it is not a problem. Anything prohibited by your unit/branch will be posted in a common area within your unit footprint. They may also issue a handbook.
Source: I'm a prior service 11B SGT.

Did congress pass a law to eliminate The ability of commanders to limit soldiers gun rights off base..?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I imagine the biggest issue is having a sidearm if your trip includes going to or coming from base. You are supposed to be defenseless when stationed "safely" at home, don't you know?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Where are you stationed? For example here in WA, yes you can OC/CC (over 21 with CPL) while on active duty, but not in uniform. Also you can't take a gun on base, except to go to and from the MWR range to shoot. Ammo and gun in separate locations/cases, with no stopping at the PX or anywhere else. Also to bring it on post it must be registered with the Provost Marshal, and if you stay in the barracks you will have to store it in the arms room. Also again anything I say refers to my knowledge of military, and WA laws. Here in WA you can CC without a CPL while traveling to or from an outdoor activity.

Thanks for your service, and I hope we hear back from you with your location.
SFC (retired)

Also we do not prohibit the use of upper case letters, and periods :)

Last edited:

eye95

I don't understand what you're asking. Soldiers do not have rights, only privileges.

Soldiers (airmen, marines, and sailors, for that matter) still have all their rights. They have just contractually agreed to subordinate those rights for a period of time in return for consideration. Folks do that all the time. It is called a "contract."

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Step One. Go see your First Sergeant.

Step Two. Have you request ready in your mind. Be clear, with good argument.
Remember, you are requesting to protect government property. If he does not know off hand, he will find out and give you guidance.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
MSG, let's not jump the chain of command. Team Chief/Section Sergeant first. OP really needs to get back, and post where he is stationed. Unless there is a base/unit reg that prohibits it, he should not even have to ask for permission. I never did.

benjmn31

It's crazy how restricted our rights can be even though we swear and oath to a Consitution that we are pretty much exempt of until we are no longer serving in uniform while those in office blatantly disregard it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Soldiers (airmen, marines, and sailors, for that matter) still have all their rights. They have just contractually agreed to subordinate those rights for a period of time in return for consideration. Folks do that all the time. It is called a "contract."

Except when they're conscripted. Then it's called "aggression".

Bahabandit

I know here in NC there is nothing that limits us Marines carrying openly. I have had a couple of Senior SNCO's and Officers approach me about it asking if it was legal and I would tell them it is legal and there is no Marine Corps order against it.

ron73440

I carry all the time and the only reactions I get from anyone in my unit is surprise that it's legal.

Wish I could carry on base, hate working in a GFZ.

j4l

Step One. Go see your First Sergeant.

Step Two. Have you request ready in your mind. Be clear, with good argument.
Remember, you are requesting to protect government property. If he does not know off hand, he will find out and give you guidance.

Best advice I've seen on this yet.

HPmatt