• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

wardtom084

I generally OC while I'm in NC and yesterday had the opportunity to assist a disabled motorist in Western NC on Hwy 64, between Murphy and Franklin. The motorist had just driven up a steep grade when his car ran hot. I offered some coolant and water and fortunately, his problem was solved. There were also a couple of guys with ServPro who had stopped at the overlook as well; after a brief conversation, we left. I came in on US 129 and stopped on Robbinsville for lunch. In each of these situations there was no mention of the 5" Kimber on my right hip, so I rank Western NC as one of the friendliest parts of the state for OC and gun owners in general.

Next time you are in Robbinsville let me know and we will get together. There are all kinds of weapons around this place and a lot of trucks are concealed including nine.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Next time you are in Robbinsville let me know and we will get together. There are all kinds of weapons around this place and a lot of trucks are concealed including nine.
For every nine trucks concealed, there are ten being openly driven :p :lol:

papa bear

There is a waffle house on N Tryon in charlotte, I went in there at around midnight for some food with my little brother. There was a sherriff outside on a bike didn't say anything. I Checked the doors and entrance area for any signs and didn't see any. I go in there, sit down, order & eat. LEO comes in, picks up food and leaves. I leave and the sheriff and LEO are outside having a conversation hanging out,

LEO turns around and tells me "hey boss, next time you come don't bring it with you"
I say "oh, do they have a no firearms policy here? cause i didn't see a sign, is there a sign somewhere?"
He says "yea, they have a sign"
I say "do you mind showing me where?"
he says "there is a sign over there, **points at wall**"

SOOOOOO There is a "customer parking only" sign. In that same sign, there is a "no soliciting" in smaller font and under the "no soliciting" in even SMALLER font, there is a "No unauthorized knives, weapons, firearms" ... by the way the sign was located near the far end corner of the building on the opposite side of the entrance. I enjoyed the waffles though.

did you go in anyway? just because a LEO says something doesn't mean squat. they might not have had an issue at that store. only the manager could have told you to leave. now if the LEO wanted to be a dick he could have coerced the manager to kick your self defense out. of course that would open them up to a law suit. i guess in my old age i don't worry about what a LEO says anymore

Jamesm760

did you go in anyway? just because a LEO says something doesn't mean squat. they might not have had an issue at that store. only the manager could have told you to leave. now if the LEO wanted to be a dick he could have coerced the manager to kick your self defense out. of course that would open them up to a law suit. i guess in my old age i don't worry about what a LEO says anymore

This happened as I was leaving... I had already finished my food. He was standing outside with a sheriff and that's when he made the comment. Management didn't say a word, and LEO didn't say anything when he was in there either and I was sitting right in front of the entrance so I'm sure he got a good look at the glock. Doesn't matter though I won't be going there anymore.

On another note, I had previously said that a small cafe in charlotte called Amelies was OC friendly... turns out their property management is not, and they now have to ask people to leave their sidearm in their vehicle... so mark that one off the checklist.

carolina guy

This happened as I was leaving... I had already finished my food. He was standing outside with a sheriff and that's when he made the comment. Management didn't say a word, and LEO didn't say anything when he was in there either and I was sitting right in front of the entrance so I'm sure he got a good look at the glock. Doesn't matter though I won't be going there anymore.

On another note, I had previously said that a small cafe in charlotte called Amelies was OC friendly... turns out their property management is not, and they now have to ask people to leave their sidearm in their vehicle... so mark that one off the checklist.

Absolutely no reason to be treated like a 2nd class citizen and continue to give them your $$. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Not sure what the mgt. company has to do with what the business chooses to do within the law or why they "have" to ask anything.

carolina guy

Not sure what the mgt. company has to do with what the business chooses to do within the law or why they "have" to ask anything.

My thoughts exactly. Unless the lease includes a provision to allow the management company to do so, they need to tell them to buzz off...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
My thoughts exactly. Unless the lease includes a provision to allow the management company to do so, they need to tell them to buzz off...
Don't think such a lease provision would even be enforceable, but that is more a question of real estate law.

Jamesm760

Don't think such a lease provision would even be enforceable, but that is more a question of real estate law.

I didn't make them go into detail, (cause i don't like causing "trouble") but they said they were getting allot of complains from other businesses that were leasing other spaces in the small plaza, so now they have a no firearms policy on the entire plaza. which sucks cause they were the only business in the plaza to not serve alcohol... It's ok though I'm going to try steak and shake now for my midnight lunches. When I was informed to leave my arm in in my vehicle i simply left.

IN OTHER NEWS! there is a Roses in charlotte on Eastway. I would go in there OCing all the time, never had a problem with anyone at all. I also always checked the entrance area for anti signs, and never saw one until......(Drum roll)

IMAG0016.jpg

This sign is located behind a metal gate, and the square that actually contains the "no gun" part is about the size of a business car, so I would imagine that the revolver is between the size of a quarter and half dollar...

Check Roses off the list. I think I'm gonna shop for everything at walmart now... I hope I don't get asked to leave at steak N Shake because im looking forward to the endless pancakes tonight.

Stay safe!

carolina guy

I didn't make them go into detail, (cause i don't like causing "trouble") but they said they were getting allot of complains from other businesses that were leasing other spaces in the small plaza, so now they have a no firearms policy on the entire plaza. which sucks cause they were the only business in the plaza to not serve alcohol... It's ok though I'm going to try steak and shake now for my midnight lunches. When I was informed to leave my arm in in my vehicle i simply left.

IN OTHER NEWS! there is a Roses in charlotte on Eastway. I would go in there OCing all the time, never had a problem with anyone at all. I also always checked the entrance area for anti signs, and never saw one until......(Drum roll)

View attachment 10558

This sign is located behind a metal gate, and the square that actually contains the "no gun" part is about the size of a business car, so I would imagine that the revolver is between the size of a quarter and half dollar...

Check Roses off the list. I think I'm gonna shop for everything at walmart now... I hope I don't get asked to leave at steak N Shake because im looking forward to the endless pancakes tonight.

Stay safe!

Looks like you are not allowed to carry inside the metal gate... ;-)

papa bear

went into a local Pharmacy, named Wally's to pick up a prescription for my mother . there was an older man sitting there waiting. he looked up and said, "can't argue with you since you have a gun". i said "oh thats just there, so guys like you won't rob me", i patted him on the shoulder., and he laughed

Sunday i went to take my grand kids to golden corral for breakfast. there were a few police cars and ambulances in the parking lot, parked, so i knew there wasn't an emergency.

got inside there were about 20 police, 10 deputies, four NCHP. and about 15 ambulance drivers. they weren't in a group, but grouped with their own.

even though i was up and down a lot with the kids, i don't think that they even noticed. i think one of the HP was looking hard my way, but he never said anything to me. i kinda wanted them to noticed, but nothing

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
went into a local Pharmacy, named Wally's to pick up a prescription for my mother . there was an older man sitting there waiting. he looked up and said, "can't argue with you since you have a gun". i said "oh thats just there, so guys like you won't rob me", i patted him on the shoulder., and he laughed

Sunday i went to take my grand kids to golden corral for breakfast. there were a few police cars and ambulances in the parking lot, parked, so i knew there wasn't an emergency.

got inside there were about 20 police, 10 deputies, four NCHP. and about 15 ambulance drivers. they weren't in a group, but grouped with their own.

even though i was up and down a lot with the kids, i don't think that they even noticed. i think one of the HP was looking hard my way, but he never said anything to me. i kinda wanted them to noticed, but nothing

Dayam - does that been that they rest of Mayberry had no protection? :lol:

rotorhead

Ha! It's like that at the Golden Corral and Chik-fil-a on Ramsey St on court days, too. Still no issues though, which is good. I think half the time I get looks from LEOs in those places it's more from jealousy or appreciation than anything, especially when wearing the GP-100 or the 1911.

Bahabandit

Went to Firehouse Subs in J'ville the other day and had some "dude" making loud comments to his buddies about me OCing. I don't respond to ignorant comments so I just let him keep running his mouth and went and sat on the other side of the restaurant. Also OC'ed in Cracker Barrel and Lowe's off of Western with no looks either.

Klemorali

An evening in Asheville, NC

My wife had recently purchased a new Rock Island 1911 and was giving me no end of grief about going to shoot. As we are house locked were we live, we often go to a shooting range in Asheville to enjoy our Handguns. On-Target is our range of choice because its close and has a well stocked store. I was OCing with my Glock 23 in a Serpa Holster and this went very well at the range. Visits here are always uneventful with the exception of good conversation and drooling over guns I don't own yet. They do have a sign (as most ranges do) "No loaded firearms outside the firing range". I keep meaning to recommend they alter the sign, but the sign is mostly for insurance purposes and their actual policy is more "Don't do anything stupid and we won't fix it for you". It's one of their endearing qualities.

After shooting we were looking for a bite to eat and decided on Asaka on Biltmore Avenue. I did my due diligence and made sure the place wasn't posted. However, I had somehow managed to miss the police cars parked in the lot. After entering and figuring out the whole seat myself or be seated routine we were directed to seating 2 booths down from LEOs. In passing one of them called out the others name and they proceeded to use a lot of body language to inform everyone in the room that they saw the gun. I ignored all of this and continued about getting some grub. After a few minutes one of the LEOs (in civilian clothing, so maybe off duty??) stepped over by the restroom and kept pacing in circles and eyeballing me. It was odd and enough out of place that several people in the place, including the staff began watching him. This too I ignored and continued conversing with my wife. I mean the wife and I continue showing each other funny posts found on our facebook and google+ feeds on our phones. Other than the LEOs being obviously disturbed it was uneventful and I didn't catch so much as a glance from the staff or other patrons.

I've had had a handful encounters with LEOs in Asheville. All of them have been unpleasant and this is the one and only time that LEOs in Asheville haven't drawn their weapons on me (traffic stops <10 over). Oddly enough its the only time I've encountered LEOs in Asheville while carrying.

Vwfinatic273

Starbucks

I am posting this from inside a Starbucks that I came to use the WiFi with a Taurus PT24/7 .40 on my right hip. I have been told Starbucks frowns on 2nd ammendment and people carrying inside so thought I'd dip my toes in the water. The people have treated me no differently. One old guy has given me a look inside the three hours I've been here during a trip to the restroom.

Also before coming here I OC into Petco and no issues.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am posting this from inside a Starbucks that I came to use the WiFi with a Taurus PT24/7 .40 on my right hip. I have been told Starbucks frowns on 2nd ammendment and people carrying inside so thought I'd dip my toes in the water. The people have treated me no differently. One old guy has given me a look inside the three hours I've been here during a trip to the restroom.

Also before coming here I OC into Petco and no issues.
Au contraire -Starbucks is nationally know for their neutral position = very gun frindly.

Goggle: Starbucks guns - huge resource of info and recogition with thanks to Starbucks.

Vwfinatic273

Starbucks

Au contraire -Starbucks is nationally know for their neutral position = very gun frindly.

Goggle: Starbucks guns - huge resource of info and recogition with thanks to Starbucks.

******* right on Grapeshot!!!! I heard exactly the opposite of all this. I usually educate myself on everything however didn't research their stand on this. I guess we could consider Starbucks pro-gun which I like! It even says February 22nd is Gun Owners Support Starbucks Day I also like that!

WalkingWolf

Starbucks ran into some image problems during the early days of the Afghanistan, and Iraq wars. I don't remember exactly what took place but they were painted as anti troops, or anti war. I don't ever remember anything about them being anti 2A, though a lot of years have passed.