• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to OC

Chuckie

I am new to open carry, and I must say it is a very different experience. My reasoning for OC is I do not want myself or any body around me to become a victim if there is any thing I can do about it. At first I did not think I needed a CC permit, however it seems
very easy to have my coat or other clothing cover my holster and gun by accident. This puts me at risk with the law does it not? I prefer OC because I want others to know. The deterrent factor is large. I also believe in "use it or lose it" with our rights. I also feel somewhat empowered by any kind of carry. Safer for sure.

nobama

I am new to open carry, and I must say it is a very different experience. My reasoning for OC is I do not want myself or any body around me to become a victim if there is any thing I can do about it. At first I did not think I needed a CC permit, however it seems
very easy to have my coat or other clothing cover my holster and gun by accident. This puts me at risk with the law does it not? I prefer OC because I want others to know. The deterrent factor is large. I also believe in "use it or lose it" with our rights. I also feel somewhat empowered by any kind of carry. Safer for sure.

Welcome to the site. Yes it is different at first, but gets easier as time goes by. May I suggest you go ahead and get your CCP, just in case you want to carry in another state. It also keeps you legal if and when you cover it up. Glad you see it the way we do, it is an awesome thing to be able to carry a sidearm in a holster in the open. I love it when I see someone OCing, brings a smile to my face.

qednick

Welcome Chuckie! Those are good reasons. For me, without going into detail since I've posted it before, I was the subject of an attempted car jacking type scenario a while back (I was CC at the time but couldn't get to it!). Now with OC I doubt anybody would be foolish enough to follow me to my vehicle again. There is definitely a deterrent factor and no CC-only advocate will ever be able to convince me otherwise now.

325rto

Welcome Chuckie! Those are good reasons. For me, without going into detail since I've posted it before, I was the subject of an attempted car jacking type scenario a while back (I was CC at the time but couldn't get to it!). Now with OC I doubt anybody would be foolish enough to follow me to my vehicle again. There is definitely a deterrent factor and no CC-only advocate will ever be able to convince me otherwise now.

That is probably one of the best posts I've read concerning CC v OC. Glad everything turned out ok.

qednick

That is probably one of the best posts I've read concerning CC v OC. Glad everything turned out ok.

Yeah it does irk me a bit when I see CC only folks putting down OC because "they want the element of surprise". I had my LCP deep in my front pocket, seated in my car with seat belt on. Believe me, not only was I "surprised", but I couldn't have gotten my LCP out if I wanted to. Thankfully I managed to diffuse the situation and get the fella to get out of my passenger seat and leave--but it really made me think!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah it does irk me a bit when I see CC only folks putting down OC because "they want the element of surprise". I had my LCP deep in my front pocket, seated in my car with seat belt on. Believe me, not only was I "surprised", but I couldn't have gotten my LCP out if I wanted to. Thankfully I managed to diffuse the situation and get the fella to get out of my passenger seat and leave--but it really made me think!
I think you more likely defused the situation, but good point. ;)