• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No carry in places of worship

simmonsjoe

imported post

THERE IS NO SEPARATION BETWEEN CHURCH AND STATE.

That didn't make it into the constitutional amendments because when it was debated they realized the wording was flawed. What made it was "there shall be no state sponsored religion"

the important difference is that with no state sponsored religion, the gov't IS NOT BANNED from involving itself for the protection of religious groups. This means the gov't can protect the sanctity of marriage, the right to openly celebrate holidays, The whole x=mas tree on state land thing? You're right to practice your religion doesn't stop because you work for the state! etc.

It's true, the Gov't can't say:
There is no god
There is only one god
Jesus was the final prophet
The bible should/should not be taken literally

However, these Athiest, who's goal is subjugating America to their religion, are unwilling to accept that, so they use a nonexistent law to attack all who disagree with them. This is why the wording did not make it into the constitution! Because it would allow for facism.

As for carrying a handgun into a church in VIRGINIA. well, its an unusual situation. You see, churches are private property so they have the right to disbar/allow firearms. If the church has given you permission to have firearms, or its doctrine includes responsibility to self defence or the like, then that is 'good and sufficent reason'. If you are of the same dinomination as the church, it doesn't preach an responsibility to self defence, but you believe this to be important to your religion, then that is 'good and sufficient reason'. So the only persons actually affected by this law are non-deciples of the given church, and then only as that they need expressed permission instead of expressed denial(as with most private property). And even if you were not a deciple, and you didn't have permission, and after you were caught and the Priest/Pastor/Minister said something to the effect of "all gods children have the right to protect themselves from evil" he would be effectively extending the churches beliefs to encompass you, AND protection of sanctuary, nullifying the charge. Just remember there are some anti-gun ministers out there.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

My Pastor knows and encourages that I carry. I have always CC'd so that I was not getting more attention than the message being presented. Unfortunately, our church is now meeting in a local High School so I am going unarmed.
:banghead:

LoveMyCountry

TinCan Assassin

imported post

I wonder if it would have been better understood if he had said "A wall..." "...between State and church" meaning no state interferance in religious affairs, rather than the other way around. Surely that was what he meant.

TCA

M

McX

imported post

So if the Church doesn't allow carry God would have to post a notice then right?:D

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

TinCan Assassin wrote:
I wonder if it would have been better understood if he had said "A wall..." "...between State and church" meaning no state interferance in religious affairs, rather than the other way around. Surely that was what he meant.

TCA
It should go both ways. Religion has no place in governance.

Or have we learned nothing from, you know, the people we're fighting RIGHT NOW?

thx997303

imported post

Religion will never be completely seperate from the way society functions.

Every single person that votes, votes in general accordance with their religious beliefs.

It's completely understandable for the government to stay the heck out of religious affairs.

But trying to keep religion completely out of the government is a fools errand.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

I think many here are misconstruing the reason for the ban on carrying at churches.

Kevin Jamison, in his book Missouri Weapons Laws and Self Defense, goes into some depth regarding the origins of several such laws, especially those banning weapons near polling places and churches. In a nutshell, at one time it was far too common for white supremacist "terrorists" to initiate attacks on the schools, churches, and polling places of freedmen. The laws prohibiting weapons in such places trace back to that era. Today, the reason is forgotten and it's simply accepted that for reasons no one remembers those places are supposed to be "gun free" zones.

That said, here in Missouri the prohibition is against carrying in any place of worship without the consent of the pastor or the governing body of the church. I carry routinely at the church I attend: when CCW passed in Missouri the pastor announced from the pulpit that anyone otherwise legally carrying was not only welcome but encouraged to carry in his church. Several other churches in this area also agree with him and that practice.

Armond Reese

Banned
imported post

thx997303 wrote:

Every single person that votes, votes in general accordance with their religious beliefs.

It's completely understandable for the government to stay the heck out of religious affairs.

My only religious belief is religion is for fools and children, like Santa Claus.

Actually, that's a pretty good metaphor.

thx997303

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

My only religious belief is religion is for fools and children, like Santa Claus.

Actually, that's a pretty good metaphor.
That's a belief about religion, hence a religious belief.

So, what I said still stands.