• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC St. George Walmart

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

As another data point I routinly open carry either a Glock 27 or a Delta Elite 10mm into the new SuperWalmart in Sandy City (Gravel Pit) and the Super Walmart just west of the freeway at about 114th South. Never had any problems. I have interacted with associates as I looked for items I needed. Just never come up.

I suppose it is possible everyone just missed that 1911 hanging out on my hip. But it seems a bit of stretch.

At the same time, most people are pretty unobservant and what with cell phones and the assortment of other gadgets hanging on belts these days, it usually takes most non-gun-types a couple of looks to realize a gun is there.

I usually wear jeans and a polo shirt and I find that untucking one side of the polo shirt and pulling it down over my otherwise OC holster eliminates ALL looks and comments as rare as those are when I OC.

IOW, if I think there might be any hassle at all and I'm not in the mood to educate someone or be delayed, it doesn't take much in the way of concealement to remove all problems.

I reserve my smart carry for when I need to spend 2 full days and nights in the hospital with my wife and new baby. NOBODY spots that, even with the .40 Glock tucked in.

utahxd9

imported post

I was at Wal-mart the other night ocing it was about 9:30 or so. I went about getting the things I needed & decided to go back to sporting goods to see if they had any good deals back there. As I was walking down one of the larger aisles an assistant manager was walking the oppsite direction. He looked at me & right away I knew he was kinda freaked out cause he looked at me & his eyes got kinda big & he says "how are you?" The whole time staring at my 45. I said fine & continued walking. After wandering around sporting goods for a bit I walked back towards the front of the store, as I passed the candy aisle I saw the same manager & he watched me as I passed, then about a minute later I hear "uhh excuse me" I turned around & there is a younger man w/an assitant manager badge on. He says "are you a cop?" I said no I'm not. (the other assitant manager came up behind him) So he asks "should that be concealed?" I said "no not neccesarily, in the state of Utah I can legally open carry w/a concealed permit." At this point he takes a step back & looks like he is going to pee his pants. I said "relax I am not upset you are asking me" The other guy says "we were just a bit concerned." I said "that is ok." Honestly I was thinking have you never seen a gun in your life? The older man said he didn't know what their policy was. I said "well as far as I know I am within my rights" "It is the guys that hide them illegally that you need to worry about; thanks guys" and I walked away.

I didn't do as good a job as I should have at educating them about carrying I realize that now. I didn't even give them a reason for why I was carrying. It is my first time being confronted & honestly I was in shock a bit. I will have to work on teaching better. Any tips on discussing this with people (strangers in particular). __________________

UtahRSO

imported post

I've carried openly a few times at the Walmart in West Valley. No problems.

However, about a year ago some lunkhead custormer at that same Walmart called the LEO's to report a friend of mine as "a man carrying a gun," and they responded. When they found my friend had a CFP, they were OK with it. The interesting thing to me about the whole incident was that the management of Walmart never got involved at all. To me, that signifies that they weren't concerned about it.