• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Ms Get together

mjd1978

Looks like the 13th is hitting the nail on the head. And also looks like we'll have our 5 or 6 and maybe even more. Anyone who is NOT available on the 13th of August, please let me know. I don't think we have too many dates available, but we'll try to get as many people as we can. This is going to be a GREAT get together.

I would never have thought it when the thread started. And I didn't even start the thread! I look forward to meeting all of ya'll, it'll be a great day in Oxford on the 13th, if that's the date we choose.

I started the thread , then gave up on it because nobody seemed interested. Checked it a few weeks later and it had taken off!!! Thanks for all you have done to get this set up!

MilProGuy

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page here.

Whichever way it is, we OC and let the chips fall where they may.

...Other places, I'm not sure how kindly the local LEO's take to OC.

I really don't want to spend any time in jail from some trumped up charge like disturbing the peace, and I REALLY don't want my firearm confiscated, so I'm going to defer to ya'll as to what ya'll know about how the LEO's act in other places.

Feedback please?

MSRebel54:

For someone who has assured me that open carry in Mississippi is legal, there certainly are some "iffy" statements in your post.

I'd love to join up and fellowship with you guys and gals at some restaurant, but danged if I'm going to open carry if we are going to have to "let the chips fall where they may"...or run the risk of getting arrested and having my handgun confiscated.

I've lived for 65 years without ever being arrested, and I'm too old to start now.

Last edited:

MSRebel54

MSRebel54:

For someone who has assured me that open carry in Mississippi is legal, there certainly are some "iffy" statements in your post.

I'd love to join up and fellowship with you guys and gals at some restaurant, but danged if I'm going to open carry if we are going to have to "let the chips fall where they may"...or run the risk of getting arrested and having my handgun confiscated.

I've lived for 65 years without ever being arrested, and I'm too old to start now.

Well, there are some "iffy" statements in the law. But TECHNICALLY, from everything I've read, and everyone I've talked to, including LEO's, it is considered legal because of the conflict between the code. Of course the point being that a LEO can ALWAYS arrest you, whether or not he is justified in doing so.

MilProGuy

Well, there are some "iffy" statements in the law. But TECHNICALLY, from everything I've read, and everyone I've talked to, including LEO's, it is considered legal because of the conflict between the code. Of course the point being that a LEO can ALWAYS arrest you, whether or not he is justified in doing so.

I've heard about others being unlawfully detained or arrested by law enforcement officers...but it has never happened to me.

I live on the right side of the law and don't give LEOs any reason to hassle or harass me. I've never been arrested in my 65 years of life, and have, therefore, never seen the inside of a jail cell.

I appreciate the men and women of law enforcement for putting their lives on the line every day for me and the people in my community.

Law enforcement officers are NOT "the enemy". They are sworn to protect and serve.

Freedom First

I've heard about others being unlawfully detained or arrested by law enforcement officers...but it has never happened to me.

I live on the right side of the law and don't give LEOs any reason to hassle or harass me. I've never been arrested in my 65 years of life, and have, therefore, never seen the inside of a jail cell.

I appreciate the men and women of law enforcement for putting their lives on the line every day for me and the people in my community.

Law enforcement officers are NOT "the enemy". They are sworn to protect and serve.

Your attitude will change slightly the first time you are accosted for perfectly legal behavior. :D

MilProGuy

Your attitude will change slightly the first time you are accosted for perfectly legal behavior. :D

I'm certain that it would, my friend. I'll strive to do my part to keep that from ever happening.:cool:

My thanks to all who have responded to me in my quest for the truth.

Have a good evening!

Daylen

Legal behavior and liked behavior are two different things. OC is legal but not always liked, therefore some might want to harrasse people for it.

MSRebel54

I'm G2G for 20th

Thanks. Would like for all who want, to be able to be there, but I realize that everyone may not be available on either of those days. But I think now's the time to call it as on ONE of those two dates. We'll just see which date has the most available between now and then.

Oh, by the way, the only place I've "covered up" lately is at a doctor's office, and I just didn't think that was an appropriate place to OC. Spent 45 min. buying groceries at the grocery store yesterday, and not a second look. No more than if I were wearing a cell phone in a holster. Wearing a Bersa Thunder loaded with Hydra-shoks, in a Fobus tactical holster. Cause it's easy. I got Glocks and Smiths and stuff, but this is just easier, and will still get the job done if need be.

MSRebel54

Where we stand as of now

August 13th:

thearmysredneck
MSRebel54
mjd1978
possibly gunluvinatty (hasn't confirmed)

August 20th:

10-79
mjd1978
thearmysredneck
MSRebel54
chap
possibly gunluvinatty

Also, there is a Grenada county deputy sheriff I know who says if his schedule allows, he may want to come sit in with us. (not a member of the forum)

Is there anyone I missed? If so, quote this message and add your name and I'll revise. Is there anyone of those listed who CAN NOT do August 20th? Anyone else who wants to join in?

Last edited:

Chap

Just got my work schedule

I'm working 8th - 16th Aug. so I'm out for the 13th.

As it stands I could make the 20th.

Chap

Last edited:

MSRebel54

Told you guys I'd keep you informed on my OC'ing around town. Not a comment so far. And I've OC'd at a department store, gas stations, convenience stores, hardware store, bus stop, at street corners, and just about every where I've gone lately. At one gas station, all the pumps were full, people gathered around the payment window waiting their turn. Came my turn, and I had been out geocaching just before, and the lady behind me noticed a tick crawling on my T-shirt, but never even blinked an eye at the gun that was on my side in plain view. When I was in the department store, I walked right by a deputy, and either he didn't notice, or didn't care. Never said anything, never gave me a second look.

I have yet to encounter the city police though. I figure if anybody's going to say anything it'll be them. It'll happen sooner or later though. I'll let you know.

MSRebel54

Well, since no one else has added to the thread in about 9 days, if there are no objections, let's call the meet on August 20th, 2011, since at least one more can show up on the 20th rather than the 13th. If no one has any time of day restrictions, I would suggest say...1PM. That'll give the lunch crowd time to thin down, (to make sure tables are available), and it will give everyone plenty of time to drive from where ever they are coming from.

On an aside note, I've been OC'ing everywhere I go in Oxford for the last two to three weeks to get a feel for public reaction. I've had no problems. Once I went to a neighboring town, and one guy asked me was I a cop, but no one in Oxford has given me a second look so far. And I've been lots of places, grocery stores, Walmart, hardware store, lots of places.

Is everyone in agreement with the schedule?

mjd1978

Well just my luck something has come up and the 20th is the only day I won't be able to make it! This is Very disappointing! I have been looking forward to this for MONTHS!!!!!!:(:(