• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NORTHSHORE BANKS >> POSTED - NO WEAPONS << Associate Banks fine with CCW

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
NORTHSHORE BANKS >> POSTED - NO WEAPONS << Associate Banks fine with CCW

Walked into my Bank today NORTHSHORE BANK in Green Bay..the door was posted NO WEAPONS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS POINT. I let the teller know that Northshore banks corporate NO WEAPONS policy was Dumb & will cost them business, like mine.

I am going to call Northshore's Headquarters in Milwaukee to let them know they lost me as a Small Business client.

Associated Bank in Green Bay has no issues with Concealed carry & WILL NOT POST, but they frown upon open carry, they don't want the sheeple frightened..

Even if you don't have an account there call up Northshore corporate to complain..

Corporate Office (Other locations)

* North Shore Bank
15700 West Bluemound Road
Brookfield, WI 53005
* 800.236.4672 (8:30 to 5:00, CST, M-F)

Last edited:

PQ36

Hmmm..... I suspected they may pull this, especially after their "robbery" that seemed fishy to me (Just my opinion, please don't flame me).

I have banked there for several years. Looks like time to switch, after going through the exercise of contacting corporate, so they see the effect.

Time to cash the paycheck now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hey, isn't Associated practically across the street from the Mason street Northshore? Have to pick up new account info.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Hmmm..... I suspected they may pull this, especially after their "robbery" that seemed fishy to me (Just my opinion, please don't flame me).

I have banked there for several years. Looks like time to switch, after going through the exercise of contacting corporate, so they see the effect.

Time to cash the paycheck now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hey, isn't Associated practically across the street from the Mason street Northshore? Have to pick up new account info.

yup, right across the street. from the branch at Fisk & W Mason. I have banked there for 5 years myself nice people that work there too but I can't tolerate that NO weapons policy. This policy comes from their Liberal corporate HQ in Libville Milwaukee..I called and flamed them..to no avail

Last edited:

msteinhilber

I haven't seen anything posted at my credit union (Heartland Credit Union in Verona) and hope they choose to not post. I was going to talk to the branch manager of the Verona office but she was unavailable when I was doing business there earlier today. They had been the victim of an armed robbery in which a shot was fired back in February 2009, one would hope they recognize criminals will be criminals one way or another and choose to not banish their patrons from the right to defend themselves while on their property.

lance galloway

I went to cash my check at RCU in Eau Claire tonite and thair now posted :banghead: so I went up to the counter and ask the guy why and he told me their insurance company is making them post for safety reasons he also told me that all bank insurance companys will require that they post.

I think this guy is full of hot air. I will be calling RCU in the next day or two and telling them what I think and that I will be moving my money.

If anyone knows of a bank or credit union that is not going to post that is in Eau Claire let me know.

Outdoorsman1

I also have been banking at Northshore Bank for a number of years. Went the the office in Racine (Hwy 11) today and sure enough... Posted...

Went in and closed my account and told the teller I will be banking at a bank that does not post. She said something like "good luck with that". I also mentioned that by posting the bank is liable. She said someting about she is sure that corpoate had lawyers look into it before they made the decision (yea right)....

So I closed the account and will be contacting the coproprate office.

The sign was 9 1/4" long by 6" wide...

NO WEAPONS NSB.jpg

Outdoorsman1

ETA .... This was my FIRST EVER encounter with a "No Weapons" (Firearms) sign. I have to say that as I went back to my car, put my XD in my spare holster, locked the door and went in to close my account I experianced a NEW feeling that I have never felt while carrying. I kinda empty feeling in the pit of my belly along with a bit of anger and discust in that for the first time while carrying, I was being denied that legal, constitutional right of protecting myself.

Last edited:

MKEgal

lance galloway said:
...he told me their insurance company is making them post for safety reasons he also told me that all bank insurance companys will require that they post.
Doubtful. They get immunity from liability if they don't post.
From the "everyone will do it" attitude, I'm pretty sure he's making it up & expressing his opinion.
Nik says that Associated Bank is handling the WCI accounts.

Vandil

Doubtful. They get immunity from liability if they don't post.
From the "everyone will do it" attitude, I'm pretty sure he's making it up & expressing his opinion.
Nik says that Associated Bank is handling the WCI accounts.

It's BS the choice is up to each individual bank\CU. That particular bank's insurance company may have recommended it but the front line teller and even loan processors are so far away from the board or holding company board it's laughable.

Outdoorsman1

E-mail sent through thier website "Contact Us".....

Requested Telephone Responce...

My complaint deals with your decision to post the "No Weapons" signs. As I am a legal and trained carrier of a firearm, I find it very hard to comprehend the logic in postings these signs. Do you really believe that a criminal entering to rob the bank will read the sign and decide not to proceed. In fact it would be encouraging to him / her knowing that there would not be any resistance or danger from anyone legally carrying a firearm. My second point... I also find it impossible to comprehend the postings as I am sure you are aware that by posting, the new state law makes you liable for any injuries resulting from your denial of honest, law abiding, customers their legal and constitutional right of self protection by carrying a fiream. If you are not aware of this fact, I will be happy to provide the actual sate statutes that confirm this point.

So I will include in the next section of steps taken to resolve this issue, upon reading the sign and being an honest, law abinding person. I went back to my vehicle, removed my firearm, and proceeded into the bank and immediately closed my account. I will also be happy to provide you with account numbers to also verify this fact.

And... Under "Please discribe steps taken......"

Closed Account due to having my leagl and constitutional right of self protection denied me.. I will say that if this polociy is reversed, I will return as the happy customer I have always been.

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

I Got A Reply....

Here is the reply to mail E-mail from my above post....

We appreciate your point of view and know this is a very emotional issue. We also recognize that there are arguments and points to be made on both sides of the issue, but at this time our decision is to continue to not to allow weapons in our bank offices.

North Shore Bank's position is not intended as a comment on the merits of concealed carry, but rather to limit the anxiety and concerns of the majority of our customers and employees. We take this matter very seriously and made our decision after a great deal of research. Ultimately, it was determined that our policy remains the best for our bank.

Banks are unique in a sense as they are subject to armed robberies because of the attraction of larger amounts of money. It is a highly sensitive issue for our bank, our customers and our employees -- some of whom have, unfortunately, encountered guns on the job. As a result, this approach makes the most sense for us as an institution, a financial services and an employer.

To be candid with you, observing a weapon is one of the ways our employees are able to identify that a robbery is about to occur. Allowing weapons in our bank offices would add a layer of complexity to procedures specifically designed to ensure the situation is responded to quickly with the safety of all involved in mind. Any delay in reacting to determine the motives would result in a less secure environment

We sincerely appreciate your sharing your point of view and hope we have been able to provide some understanding regarding our no-weapons policy at the bank.

Sincerely,

My Responce...

"To be candid with you, observing a weapon is one of the ways our employees are able to identify that a robbery is about to occur."

I would think that buy the time a firearm is observed under these conditions, it would be TO LATE to start..

" procedures specifically designed to ensure the situation is responded to quickly with the safety of all involved in mind."

Also...

"Any delay in reacting to determine the motives would result in a less secure environment"

I fail to understand the logic in this statement as is in if a criminal intent on robbing the bank produces a (hidden) firearm in the process of robbing the bank, that motive would be very clear as well as an honest law abiding citizen carrying a firearm would either keep it concealed in which case there would be no knowledge of the firearm, or, an honest law abiding citizen legally "Open Carrying" (within view) would absolutley under no circumsatances (other than self protection) ever remove the firraem from the holster, thus making his / her motive equally as clear.

Let me put it to you this way... If you persoanlly were in line (with or without children) to do some banking and a criminal entered, approached any teller close to you, produced his firearm with intent to rob (or kill whoever gets in his / her way), would you rather have the person next to you unarmed (unable to protect himself as well as you and / or your children) or myself or any other trained, legally carrying citizen who might in fact save your life...???

Not to mention my point about as a "Posted" place of business, you are (by law) liable for any injuries resulting in your denial of citizens to provide themselfs legal self protection.

I would appreaciate your responce and your thought on my question.

Thank you.

Outdoorsman1

Yooper

In time you guys should see most of the no guns signs come down. 10 years after the MI law took effect, I can only think of 3 places in the U.P. that I've seen a sign, 2 were at AT&T stores, 1 was at Charter Communications (cable company).

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
It's a strange thought process at work when bank-industry people recognize that the very nature of their business attracts criminals, but they oppose something that is intended to enhance their security. Banks always have the policy of not resisting criminals so nobody gets hurt. That's fine as long as things go as planned for everyone. But it's a terrible policy when things don't go as planned, for example when it becomes a hostage situation or when the criminal wants something other than just some cash. The "let's just do as they say" policy worked reasonably well for aircraft hijackings up until 9/11/01. That policy and practice has certainly been rescinded in light of events on that day.

So I find it's a very interesting line of thought that puts the feelings of security among customers and employees BEFORE their actual security. I strongly recommend the book Beyond Fear by Bruce Schneier for anyone who has an interest in taking a systematic approach to security in all it's forms. And here's a good article in Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

Glockface

Bank Mutual is CC friendly! I asked today about their policy and the manager said
they take no stance either way and will not put up any signs!

I went to cash my check at RCU in Eau Claire tonite and thair now posted :banghead: so I went up to the counter and ask the guy why and he told me their insurance company is making them post for safety reasons he also told me that all bank insurance companys will require that they post.

I think this guy is full of hot air. I will be calling RCU in the next day or two and telling them what I think and that I will be moving my money.

If anyone knows of a bank or credit union that is not going to post that is in Eau Claire let me know.

Here in MO U.S. Bank locations are not posted. You might check them out. I have been a customer for over 20 years and am still satisified with thier service.

Teej

outdoorsman1 said:
the new state law makes you liable for any injuries resulting from your denial of honest, law abiding, customers their legal and constitutional right of self protection by carrying a fiream. If you are not aware of this fact, I will be happy to provide the actual sate statutes that confirm this point.

FWIW, If you're talking about Act 35, the law says no such thing. It provides, for those who don't post, immunity from what arises from that decision to not post.

If you're referring to something else, please let me know.

Last edited: