• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NYPD wounding bystanders

usmcmustang

When a reporter asked Mayor Bloomberg whether the police had acted appropriately by shooting an armed murder suspect, he angrily replied, “Let me ask you this, if somebody pointed a gun at you and you had a gun in your pocket, what would you do? I think that answers the question.” Bloomberg indirectly makes a very important point. The phrase “gun violence” gets tossed around quite a bit, but there’s a problem–the expression blurs the distinction between the use of a gun for self-defense and the use of a gun to commit a crime, such as theft, rape, and murder.

Mayor Bloomberg regularly advocates gun control measures, but according to his statements to the reporter, he’ll support your right to use a gun in self-defense, but, curiously, put you in jail should "you have a gun in your pocket." Hmm.

Deanimator

When a reporter asked Mayor Bloomberg whether the police had acted appropriately by shooting an armed murder suspect, he angrily replied, “Let me ask you this, if somebody pointed a gun at you and you had a gun in your pocket, what would you do? I think that answers the question.” Bloomberg indirectly makes a very important point. The phrase “gun violence” gets tossed around quite a bit, but there’s a problem–the expression blurs the distinction between the use of a gun for self-defense and the use of a gun to commit a crime, such as theft, rape, and murder.

Mayor Bloomberg regularly advocates gun control measures, but according to his statements to the reporter, he’ll support your right to use a gun in self-defense, but, curiously, put you in jail should "you have a gun in your pocket." Hmm.
I would have replied:

"I'd get murdered, because thanks to you and your predecessors, I CAN'T have a gun in my pocket, and being of lesser value as a human being than you, I don't have a phalanx of armed bodyguards behind which to hide."

Talk about a "Kodak moment"...