• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the park and contacted by SPD

Lammo

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Lammo wrote:
Devil's advocate for half a second. Maybe this officer asked if you had a CPL to eliminate the possibility that you were unlawfully in possession of the pistol.

[SNIP]

Unless that officer has an articulable suspicion that you are a prohibited person, they cannot demand to see your CPL.

OC, does not provide an articulable suspicion.
My understanding of the episode from the OP was that the officer"asked if" the OP had a CPL and took his yes for an answer - - i.e., that there was no "demand".

Lammo

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Lammo wrote:
My understanding of the episode from the OP was that the officer "asked if" the OP had a CPL and took his yes for an answer - - i.e., that there was no "demand".

I understand. My response was a rebuttal to your comment as "Devil's Advocate".

Are you saying that the average citizen doesn't feel even slightly compelled to respond to officer requests?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
Lammo wrote:
My understanding of the episode from the OP was that the officer"asked if" the OP had a CPL and took his yes for an answer - - i.e., that there was no "demand".

Are you saying that the average citizen doesn't feel even slightly compelled to respond to officer requests?
I don't. But I don't consider myself an average citizen, either! :cool:

I think average citizen's usually do feel compelled to do whatever cops ask them to, it's the way we are trained from kindergarten.
Same here.
Most "compelling" comes from fear of retribution.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
Lammo wrote:

I don't. But I don't consider myself an average citizen, either! :cool:

I think average citizen's usually do feel compelled to do whatever cops ask them to, it's the way we are trained from kindergarten.
Same here.
Most "compelling" comes from fear of retribution.
Same here, makes for interesting encounters, when you say then arrest me it usually stops them in their tracks or really POs them.