• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry for Non residents?

ruskiegunlover

I am in the early stages of planning a hiking trip with a friend to the Escalante region next summer. Early June. We are from Kansas, and I know our CCW's are ok in Utah.....BUT, can non residents legally carry in the national parks and camping areas of Utah? We would be likely doing the Grand Staircase/ Deaths Hollow hike outside of Boulder. I would much prefer just packing my sidearm on my belt as opposed to hiding it in my pack. What do you guys think?

ruskiegunlover

Ok, am I understanding this? After doing some reading, it looks like this:

BOTH my friend and I are Kansas CCW holders, which Utah recognizes. SO, both of us can open carry in Utah with a round in the chamber. Both of us can carry concealed in Utah too.

Now, I am a bit hazy on the national park thing though. Can we open carry in Utahs National Parks? And I thought that the Deaths Hollow area was BLM land, which meant open carry was perfectly legal.......Been 3.5 years since I have been there. I want for both of us to be able to carry openly in the areas we are hiking. We are only driving straight there, not really stopping a whole lot, so I am not as concerned about CCW really......

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...both of us can open carry in Utah with a round in the chamber. Both of us can carry concealed in Utah too...

...Can we open carry in Utahs National Parks? And I thought that the Deaths Hollow area was BLM land, which meant open carry was perfectly legal...

Yes! Welcome!

Last edited:

ruskiegunlover

Ok, coming back to this more.....Laws in uTAH ARE CONFUSING.

As CCW's, I can carry a loaded semi auto pistol concealed, chambered, safety off. BUT, if I carry openly while hiking on BLM land or in a national park, it must require two actions to fire.....meaning, empty chamber so I have to rack the slide and then pull the trigger? Or can I simply disengage the safety, then pull the trigger? Or, as a ccw holder, does this not apply to me? Can I open carry with a round chambered, safety off inmy beretta?

SigGuy23

Activist Member
You're over thinking it. If you do not have a recognised CCW, you can open carry in UT, but it has to be 2 steps from firing. If you have a permit that is recognised, you are fine carrying with a round in the chamber. It's as simple as that.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As CCW's, I can carry a loaded semi auto pistol concealed, chambered, safety off. BUT, if I carry openly while hiking on BLM land or in a national park, it must require two actions to fire.....meaning, empty chamber so I have to rack the slide and then pull the trigger? Or can I simply disengage the safety, then pull the trigger? Or, as a ccw holder, does this not apply to me? Can I open carry with a round chambered, safety off inmy beretta?

Once licensed, you can carry loaded. HOW you carry is not required under the license. Many OC'ers that never conceal still get the permit so they can carry a loaded firearm openly.

In addition to requiring two mechanical actions when not allowed to be loaded, the current definition does not allow a round in firing position. So just the safety wouldn't count.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I am assuming the safety must be on?

The safety is not addressed specifically. Since a round can not be in firing position, there is no need for the safety. Chambering would be the first mechanical action; pulling the trigger would be the second.

papa bear

Ok, coming back to this more.....Laws in uTAH ARE CONFUSING.

why would the rules be different in the national park? every other park in the nation goes by the laws of where the park is. say in VA OC is fine but not in CA

ruskiegunlover

Going back to do the same hike this memorial weekend with 3 close friends. 17 hour drive....Might stop in MOAB on the way back, spend a day in Arches or Canyonlands.

Going to post a great story about last Julys trip with a park officer in Capital Reef....