• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Idaho Report

OC for ME

... Then last week things changed - dramatically. I knew when the greeter at the door looked at me that he was going to challenge me. Going from a "No Worries" (unstated) attitude to a strong prohibition was, again, dramatic. What happened at COSTCO to cause this? ...

Bob Cul
What happened? What changed? The change that occurred happened back in November of 2016. It took a wee bit of time to work its way up to Wyoming. Take this small change as a sign that Wyoming is changing...and likely not for the better.

solus

What happened? What changed? The change that occurred happened back in November of 2016. It took a wee bit of time to work its way up to Wyoming. Take this small change as a sign that Wyoming is changing...and likely not for the better.

I am sure it has nothing to do with firearm carry specifically, perhaps, just perhaps COSTCO’s local/area mgmt was too permissive in their enforcement of all overarching company policies and Corp Sr mgmt brought in new mgmt who weren’t part of the ‘good olde we do it our way group’ told them to tighten up across the board ~ no exceptions whatsoever!

New mgmt see raises and promotion in their future so off they march cleaning up the store with a heavy hand ...[in another life, been there, done this, enjoyed the revenue and you only have to terminate a couple of egregious offenders and then everybody decides to play nice by establish policies - thus a new store culture is born and inbred across the board]

Further, everyone’s attention to this 2013 OCDO thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?95584-Open-Carry-Limit-in-Wyoming

bobcul

More on COSTCO

I am sure it has nothing to do with firearm carry specifically, perhaps, just perhaps COSTCO’s local/area mgmt was too permissive in their enforcement of all overarching company policies and Corp Sr mgmt brought in new mgmt who weren’t part of the ‘good olde we do it our way group’ told them to tighten up across the board ~ no exceptions whatsoever!

New mgmt see raises and promotion in their future so off they march cleaning up the store with a heavy hand ...[in another life, been there, done this, enjoyed the revenue and you only have to terminate a couple of egregious offenders and then everybody decides to play nice by establish policies - thus a new store culture is born and inbred across the board]

Further, everyone’s attention to this 2013 OCDO thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?95584-Open-Carry-Limit-in-Wyoming

This may be the answer, a reasonable assumption of a system wide crack down. When I talked to the Management folks about the firearm policy they said it was system wide. I commented that this is Idaho, a gun friendly state, not California or Illinois etc. His reply the policy applied in all locations. Someone must have gotten to the "back woods" stores to bring them into line.

I am not sure what the November 2016 comment in the item by OC above means other than the last presidential election and an anti-gun backlash against the Trump administration and activism on gun rights.

I like the manager statement else where that 'if they posted no-guns on the store they would loose half their business'. How prophetic and how inviting to try to force them to publicly post the stores and own publicly own up to their anti-gun position. This forum is getting the message out to its members, those in the know, but NOT to the public. The issue needs an aggressive news article about it. Something along the lines of corporate policies infringing the Second Amendment. Any suggestions?

Bob

OC for ME

This may be the answer, a reasonable assumption of a system wide crack down. When I talked to the Management folks about the firearm policy they said it was system wide. I commented that this is Idaho, a gun friendly state, not California or Illinois etc. His reply the policy applied in all locations. Someone must have gotten to the "back woods" stores to bring them into line.

I am not sure what the November 2016 comment in the item by OC above means other than the last presidential election and an anti-gun backlash against the Trump administration and activism on gun rights.

I like the manager statement else where that 'if they posted no-guns on the store they would loose half their business'. How prophetic and how inviting to try to force them to publicly post the stores and own publicly own up to their anti-gun position. This forum is getting the message out to its members, those in the know, but NOT to the public. The issue needs an aggressive news article about it. Something along the lines of corporate policies infringing the Second Amendment. Any suggestions?

Bob
I suspect that the Costco listed above did not mention your OC'd handgun during the Obama administration...no? What has changed since Bush 43...November 2000?

Alpine

Seen a lot of OC here in N Idaho (Kootenai County) since moving here last year. Done it also but the cold weather puts a bit of a damper on it. Never had a bad interaction and no one seems to care.