• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry N.C

Desert Eagle OC

Can someone point me to the law which states I do not have to ID myself to police while carrying in NC, and also; can someone point me to the law where 18 year olds are permitted to OC handguns in N.C.

This is what I got so far.
§ 14-269.7. Prohibitions on handguns for minors.

(a) Any minor who willfully and intentionally possesses or carries a handgun is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section does not apply:

(1) To officers and enlisted personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties or acting under orders requiring them to carry handguns.

(2) To a minor who possesses a handgun for educational or recreational purposes while the minor is supervised by an adult who is present.

(3) To an emancipated minor who possesses such handgun inside his or her residence.

(4) To a minor who possesses a handgun while hunting or trapping outside the limits of an incorporated municipality if he has on his person written permission from a parent, guardian, or other person standing in loco parentis.

(c) The following definitions apply in this section:

(1) Handgun. - A firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.

(2) Minor. - Any person under 18 years of age. (1993, c. 259, s. 1; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 5; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 597, s. 1; 2011-183, s. 9; 2011-268, s. 6.)

Thank you in advance my friends.

WalkingWolf

Laws are written to make things illegal, not to make things legal. Some laws make exceptions for things that were made illegal. What is not specifically illegal IS legal.

Desert Eagle OC

Laws are written to make things illegal, not to make things legal. Some laws make exceptions for things that were made illegal. What is not specifically illegal IS legal.

So with the law I quoted gives permission for an 18 year old as it only prohibits minors who are defined under the age 18 makes 18 year olds legally allowed to possess and carry, correct?

But I'm in a 300$ bet with the local chief that if I'm walking down the street with my gun, and not suspected of a crime they cannot legally walk up to me, ask for ID and run me to check if I'm a felon. He's quite ignorant on the law.

WalkingWolf

So with the law I quoted gives permission for an 18 year old as it only prohibits minors who are defined under the age 18 makes 18 year olds legally allowed to possess and carry, correct?

But I'm in a 300$ bet with the local chief that if I'm walking down the street with my gun, and not suspected of a crime they cannot legally walk up to me, ask for ID and run me to check if I'm a felon. He's quite ignorant on the law.

Tell him to cite the laws that makes it illegal. Terry V Ohio says he cannot LEGALLY harass you unless he has Reasonable Articulate Suspicion of a crime or a crime about to be committed. Also US V Black states that the presence of a openly carried firearm is not RAS of a crime. Kerner V NC protects the right to open carry in the state of NC, with a few exceptions.

papa bear

they can ask you anything they want. there is just no law saying you have to answer. well if you are concealing then by law you have to. but then there is that pesky 4th and 5th Amendment. they can arrest you, or take you in, but then they have to have Probable cause to do that. hopefully if they do falsely arrest you then you will get a good pay check

Last edited:

notalawyer

Would a reasonably intelligent person have reason to believe that you are not at least 18 years of age if they were to see you walking down the street?

Desert Eagle OC

Would a reasonably intelligent person have reason to believe that you are not at least 18 years of age if they were to see you walking down the street?

Most people say I look older than I actually am, some say mid twenties. So I doubt it, but you know how LEO's like to harass anyone.

I'm having trouble finding the Terry V. Ohio law.