• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Ohio

Sally

imported post

Where is open carry not allowed in Ohio? Are they the same places off limits for conceal carry?

IxionDeece

imported post

Sally wrote:
Where is open carry not allowed in Ohio? Are they the same places off limits for conceal carry?
If you mean locations, then basically yes the same places are off limits as conceal. Unless specified otherwise but generally the most common places are:

-Any Courthouse
-Any Federal Property
-Any School Safety zone
-Any Publicly Owned Building (law enforcement offices, any
government buildings)
-Any room serving alcoholic beverages for onsite consumption
-Air Carrier Airport Terminals
(Ticketed Passenger Baggage Exempt)
-Place of Worship (unless permission from church)
-Private Property / Business When Prohibited by Owner or
Posted

Which those are the places that always have a sign up anyways. But generally the best way to find out is just to look on the entrances for that sign that we are all familiar with. Hope this helps.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sally wrote:
READ THIS ENTIRELY and VERY CAREFULLY!

In reference to non-Federal property:

There are only five places where OC is statutorily prohibited:

- A Courthouse or building in which a courthouse is located.
- A jail or detention facility
- A school or a school safety zone(unless certain conditions are met)
- A place for which liquor is being dispensed under a class D license
- A State run mental facility.

CC has its own off limits places, including those above.

Most CCers will say that OC is prohibited where CC is prohibited. By the letter of the law, this is not the case.

The trouble arises because the "suggested signage" (contained in Ohio's CC law) for governmental entities disallows OC or CC, but there is no specific code that disallows OC in various places - like a college campus, or a college building.

HOWEVER - my suggestion is NOT that you traipse around a college campus (or somesuch) without a lot of research on the subject, a large bank account, and a willingness to be a test case (and thereforeaccepting of the consequences).

Comprende?

IxionDeece

imported post

BB62 wrote:
Sally wrote:

Most CCers will say that OC is prohibited where CC is prohibited. By the letter of the law, this is not the case.

The trouble arises because the "suggested signage" (contained in Ohio's CC law) for governmental entities disallows OC or CC, but there is no specific code that disallows OC in various places - like a college campus, or a college building.

HOWEVER - my suggestion is NOT that you traipse around a college campus (or somesuch) without a lot of research on the subject, a large bank account, and a willingness to be a test case (and thereforeaccepting of the consequences).

Comprende?
Well that definatly sums it all up, I would say. Good job BB62

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

IxionDeece wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Sally wrote:

Comprende?
Very informative BB62. It takes dedicated guys like you to help us better understand the laws of Ohio. Thanks very much.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

color of law wrote:
IxionDeece wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Sally wrote:
READ THIS ENTIRELY and VERY CAREFULLY!...

...Comprende?
Very informative BB62. It takes dedicated guys like you to help us better understand the laws of Ohio. Thanks very much.
Oh, no, not guys like me - guys like you and little old me.

IxionDeece

imported post

I really hope that we can get a few more people to show this time at the hasty tasty than last time. Remember that it is on the Thursday the 9th you guys.

Brian D.

imported post

A halfway decent turnout last night, but not enough to get much done outside our immediate region. IMO some folks in the other three corners--and center--of the state need to be organizing the same kind of get togethers.

IxionDeece

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
Sorry I couldn't make it, guys. I had to pick up our daughter from her grandmother's house. (She was sick and stayed home from school.)
It is ok patriot, all we did was have a social meeting where all we did was have dinner together and chat for a while. No business was done at this meeting, but we will have a business meeting two weeks from now on the 23rd at the other place.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

So is anyone attending a Tea Party event? Dayton is having one at 6:00 PM. Springfield is also having one at 6:00 PM. If so, will you be OC'ing?

I'll be at the Dayton or Springfield event. (Not sure which at this point.) Will probably be OC'ing.

Brian D.

imported post

I'm going to theTea Partyin downtown Cincy (Fountain Square). It is being held at 11:30 am, with a march to City Hall at noon. That hour of the day won't make for optimal attendance, but hopefully it will be a decent turnout. Going to OC, or CC, depending on the meteorological (not political) climate that day.

Skunk

imported post

Hi everybody,

Sorry I missed the meeting at Bunny's. I had it in my head that it was actually tonight. I was out of town the 9th anyway and couldn't have made it.

Hopefully I'll see everyone on the 23rd. I'm also going to go to the Tea party in Dayton tomorrow night if I'm in town.

Chris

IxionDeece

imported post

Skunk wrote:
Hi everybody,

Sorry I missed the meeting at Bunny's. I had it in my head that it was actually tonight. I was out of town the 9th anyway and couldn't have made it.

Hopefully I'll see everyone on the 23rd. I'm also going to go to the Tea party in Dayton tomorrow night if I'm in town.

Chris
Hey Skunk if you do go to the Tea Party will you be OCing, CCing, or not carrying at all? I am gonna go maybe we can meet somewhere prior to the rally.

Skunk

imported post

I ended up not being able to go to the tea party. Work called and I was half way across West Virginia when it started. I was disappointed to have missed it, but I am hoping there will be others.

I was planning on OCing, with a CC bug.

Chris