• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Ohio

Will .40

The New Guy

hey guys. im new to the Forum and Ohio (cincinnati). i moved here about a year ago from Tampa Florida andi still have my Florida CCW and i now have a Ohio drivers lic. im thinking im gonna need a Ohio CCW since i live here now. i would like to open carry just because i don't really live in the safeist part of cincinnati.

Will .40

even my 7 yearold knows why daddy carries a gun. i want the public to know there are people like you and me that carry a firearm and were just exsersizing our rights to bear arm openly. i still wan't to do it leaglly. i don't want to walk into a Skyline or werever and have the cops called on me and have them take my gun and take me to jail.

Will .40

NEW GUY Again.

ok so i have good news. well for myself. i called Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (Division of licensing) and told them i move here (OHIO) and all i had to do was a change of address. i was told my Florida CCW lic. would still be valid even tho i don't live in the state of Florida.

IxionDeece

Yes that is correct, it is actually quite popular for many Ohioans to get Florida non resident CHL's due to the fact that Florida's has reciprocity agreements in quite a few more states than Ohio's...there's happens to include Ohio. Benefits us all. Sometime you should come to our meetings and get to know some of us. Get actively involved yeah?

trooper46

even my 7 yearold knows why daddy carries a gun. i want the public to know there are people like you and me that carry a firearm and were just exsersizing our rights to bear arm openly. i still wan't to do it leaglly. i don't want to walk into a Skyline or werever and have the cops called on me and have them take my gun and take me to jail.

Your unlikely to get arrested in Cincinnati for legally open carrying. Being hassled or temporarily detained is another issue entirely. They have tried to arrest people for the inducing panic or disorderly conduct charge, neither of which have worked because both codes require the commission of a crime in order for them to apply. A letter from the Hamilton county prosecutor put a stop to that for the most part.

I live just across the river and am still waiting on my KY ccw so I don't have to do the ammo shuffle. I'll be happy to join you and other Cincinnati OCrs in open carrying some place once I get it. Till then I avoid crossing the bridge.

theqbn

Next meeting will be the 28th at 1 PM at the Skyline (this one is friendly, spioi promises):
4901 Vine Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45217

Myself and Ixion are definitely in, so you cinci guys don't let us down!

trooper46

I can't make this one, I'm out of the country till Sept 18th. But I'll be happy to attend and support the next one.

Brian D.

lol, that was me - I saw you but didn't want to interrupt Nikki's speech... we got there late and left early. I'll try giving Kent a call sometime.

You ever hear back from Lthrnck? I didn't. Btw, how were things at Hasty Tasty? I must say, without after action reports from these meetups, it must seem to "outsiders" that they are all flops.

theqbn

I didn't talk to Lthrnck but I saw that he posted on OFCC yesterday.

Hasty Tasty meeting on the 14th was myself, my wife, spioi, and IxionDeece (and his daughter)... small but productive, as far as deciding to meet up at the skyline.

If we have success in Cincinnati I wouldn't mind a change to one monthly meeting in Dayton and one in Cinci. I'm willing to travel to Cinci, Dayton or Columbus once or twice a month if that's what it takes to get a good meeting location.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The wife and I were up in Ohio this weekend for her family reunion. I OCed the entire time I was in Ohio and had no issues whatsoever. The reunion took place at the South Point Community Center, which is owned by the municipality. Being unsure if this community center (which only consisted of a large room, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a storage room) would be covered as an exception to places forbidden to carry concealed, such as shelters or rest areas, I OCed knowing that ORC 2923.126 only applies certain restrictions to certain areas and only applies to concealed carry for this specific instance. Further I'd seen others of her family OC there; the place wasn't posted; and if necessary I was ready to hire a lawyer for my defense and to pursue the municipality civilly and criminally for deprivation of rights.

During the reunion I had to run to the store twice so I ended up OCing at the Food Fair and then the Family Dollar in South Point. I had no issues at either place and my OCing resulted in a discussion of carry pieces at Food Fair with a gentleman who occasionally carried a Ruger LCP.

After the reunion we eventually headed over to Wheelersburg (which is a "dry" area) to meet my grandparents for dinner at Dick's Pizza at Wolford's Landing only to be greeted by a big "No Guns" sign that seems to be all too common in Ohio. Although this restaurant has hosted us hospitably before we were very disappointed with the no guns sign. My grandparents pulled in about the time that we saw the sign so we told them that we wouldn't be eating there and why and took our business on down to Bob Evan's in Portsmouth where I OCed as well. That was the extent of my public OCing in Ohio although I did OC over in Ashland, KY briefly as I gassed up on the way back towards Huntington. Overall it was a good experience, with the exception of the lack of hospitality at Dick's Pizza, whose owner, Dick Eckhart (I believe) (who is a friend of my grandparents) will be getting a letter from me later this week.

Last edited:

w8new

Next meeting will be the 28th at 1 PM at the Skyline (this one is friendly, spioi promises):
4901 Vine Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45217

Myself and Ixion are definitely in, so you cinci guys don't let us down!
I'll discuss this more with my wife and children but as of now we will be planning to be there from Lima. It's a good excuse for me to visit one of my favorite toy stores, R&L Electronics - in Hamilton before going to the OC meeting.

ETA: Considering the location, I'd love to meet color of law if he can be there.

Last edited:

spioi

28th. gonna bring someone too. the owner carries a glock under his shirt and prefers armed patrons. the restaurant is at the light across from wendys on the other side of the bank.

Last edited: