• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on a Motorcycle

Lonster

I'm from Washington State. It appears that Wyoming is the only state between here and Sturgis that doesn't honor my CPL. So what is the rule on OC on a bike. Here you need to have a CPL in a vehicle. But I know states very.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

A Utah permit to conceal Is honored in Wyoming!,,, But

Wyoming is a Gold Star Open Carry State!!!
Car carry while the gun is Clearly Visible! IS AOK!!!
Sooo open carry on your bike,,, is clearly visible!!!

Check for yourself to be sure,,, Enjoy your trip!!

GhostOfJefferson

I'm from Washington State. It appears that Wyoming is the only state between here and Sturgis that doesn't honor my CPL. So what is the rule on OC on a bike. Here you need to have a CPL in a vehicle. But I know states very.

My CHL is reciprocated in WY so this isn't a direct indicator of okdokey-hood, however, I've ridden extensively through Wyoming on my motorcycle with my firearm clearly visible for all to see. Many cops saw it and not one of them blinked like anything was out of the ordinary when they saw it. They are far less concerned with open carry in that state than in most others, and it's apparent and clear once you experience the "big deal" look you get from cops and passersby. South Dakota the same thing (you going to Sturgis mate?).

Actual legal advise I do not have though, so don't take my numerous uneventful experiences in Wyoming as legal advice. It is a Gold Star state and vehicles are treated as your actual property there instead of "places that are considered concealed" like in Ohio, so I think you're safe no matter what.

The only thing to watch for in Wyoming is alcohol. Don't even think about beer commercials while wearing a sidearm I was told. Otherwise it's like...omg...the "Wild West" out there! heh

Lonster

Thanks, ya doing Sturgis this year. Have taken a pistol through there before. Normally just stowed it in my saddlebag in Wyoming. I have CC for years, but have been OC occasionally because I'm getting fat and lazy as I near my 50s.

Augustin

South Dakota has a law about carrying a firearm on a motorcycle.

It states that "No person, other than a law enforcement officer or conservation officer, or any person on the person's own land or land leased by the person, may operate or ride on any motorcycle or off-road vehicle with any firearm in the person's possession unless the firearm is completely unloaded and within a carrying case which encloses the entire firearm. However, this section does not apply to any person who is carrying a pistol and possesses a permit to carry a concealed pistol issued pursuant to chapter 23-7. This section does not apply to any person who holds a permit issued pursuant to § 41-8-37 while engaged in hunting from an off-road vehicle in accordance with the provisions of the permit."

I recommend having a small (locked) plastic Pelican case inside of your saddlebag and have it locked to the frame of the bike with a steel cable bicycle lock. This should meet the laws about interstate transport, and also help prevent theft while away from your machine.

Better yet, if you want quick access to your gun you might be able to install a pistol vault inside your saddlebag such as made by GunVault. Just open your saddlebag, enter the code (or biometric print) and the mini-safe will pop open in an instant.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes.html

Here is an article that might be of further help:

http://bikerlawblog.com/2007/06/22/transporting-a-gun-on-your-motorcycle/comment-page-1/

Augustin

South Dakota does honor my WA State CPL. So good there and my bags on my bike lock. That vault is a sweet idea though.

Seems to me the best route is through Montana, avoiding Wyoming altogether - Spokane, Coeur D,Alene, Missoula, Butte, Bozeman, Billings, Spearfish, Sturgis (829 miles). I always enjoy the procession of bikers coming through Montana on their way to Sturgis. And Montana is extremely gun friendly.