• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry University Walks - Bowling Green & Miami University (Oxford)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
BB62, nice the professor invited the outlier in to the their discussion...kudos for accepting and having what sounds like an outstanding discussion with the adult learners. i am sure they walked away with a far different impression to mull over. ...
I definitely felt so, but it was a fairly quiet bunch until the end of class.

Thanks for the kudos.

One student indicated she had done some research on me (I think because of the St. Louis Zoo matter), to which I chuckled and said "Good for you!".

What I should have said is "I hope you didn't find out about my lengthy criminal record!!" :eek:

...added, tho the reporting was a bit cheesy...
Agreed. <shakes head>

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

Brian D.

If you've been following the Miami University event on Facebook, there has been some talk from some female students opposed to the walk. They claim that they may show up along the route "semi-nude", sort of like PETA and similar animal rights groups do, as a protest gesture.

I sort of get the "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" thing, but "I'd rather be naked than armed" just doesn't make sense. However, I have added mirrored sunglasses and a stack of $1 bills to my check list of things to bring on Saturday. ;) A phone/camera is already part of my daily load-out, in case you think I overlooked such an important detail.

However, the forecast of 65-ish degrees with intermittent rain does not bode well for either side. I don't enjoy OC'ing so much when it involves getting my gun(s) and other gear soaked. And, it may strip down the attendance from those protesters. Sorry about the pun, this new angle on our walk has me laughing, shaking my head, and just wondering if this won't be one of the most interesting days of my life.

solus

your meeting/gathering point? (i know you use the same one my family did...fourth corner on the left then down six blocks to the nice building on the right ~ vacant field which was reserved for snipe hunting) :uhoh:

ipse

added: oh i forgot brian...the snipes are hiding behind the naked ladies...

Last edited:

3FULLMAGS+1

If another group plans to protest what Jeff's trying to do, so be it. Everyone has the right to be stupid......AND prove it by their actions

My plans on attending don't look so good now, but if things change, I'll attend.

Hope the walk goes well and ya have lots of good interaction w/ the pubic, Jeff.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
If another group plans to protest what Jeff's trying to do, so be it. Everyone has the right to be stupid......AND prove it by their actions

My plans on attending don't look so good now, but if things change, I'll attend.

Hope the walk goes well and ya have lots of good interaction w/ the pubic, Jeff.
If they're semi-nude, there may be interaction with the pubic. :uhoh: :uhoh: (but keep it quiet!!)

On another subject, the weather forecast looks like I'm going to be forced to cancel or change the date to next Saturday (May 7), which unfortunately is the weekend before finals.

Decisions, decisions...

solus

fortuitous, the discussion about inclement weather possibly cancelling the Miami event arose prior to tomorrow's departure with time enough to cancel other sidebars as well as lodging arrangements put in place.

since there is a now shadow of doubt, i shall avail myself of it and remain around the area over the weekend accomplishing honey-do(s).

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
fortuitous, the discussion about inclement weather possibly cancelling the Miami event arose prior to tomorrow's departure with time enough to cancel other sidebars as well as lodging arrangements put in place.

since there is a now shadow of doubt, i shall avail myself of it and remain around the area over the weekend accomplishing honey-do(s).

ipse
Understood.

Tomorrow will tell the tale. The Ohio River valley and surrounding areas are notorious for unpredictable weather.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
THE WALK is ON !!

>> THE WALK is ON !! << (come at NOON)

I've been looking at weather radar and forecasts off and on all day. Although it appears that it may rain, my fearless prediction is that it will happen before or after the Walk, or that it will be minimal.

For those reasons, because next weekend's weather is uncertain, and because next weekend is the weekend before finals, we're going to go forward with the Walk.

The sources I've used are Weather.com and WUnderground.com

Whatever your source, make sure you use OXFORD, OH, not Cincinnati. Cincinnati is 30 miles from Oxford.

FB event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
>> After Walk Summary <<

As posted to the event page on Facebook:

First, the turnout was HUGE, despite rain. Approximately 58 people started the Walk, and more joined as we continued, bringing the total to an estimated 65 people, including 15 or more students. Simply stunning.

I simply can't thank everyone enough for braving the weather and/or the distance, to come.

In attendance were (and forgive me for not remembering everyone or not remembering everyone's name) Ben and his girlfriend, who traveled from NE Ohio (!), and Molly & Phil from Bowling Green, all four of whom had attended the Bowling Green Walk two weeks ago. Also in attendance were Ilya & Stephanie, and Rodney & Butch, who traveled from Louisville, KY. From Columbus, Ohio came Dominic and Kendall, and from Northern KY came Mike and Cory. Unreal.

At the assembly point were various media, including a Chinese student (the first of two we spoke to) who was somewhat astounded at the armed assemblage.

We walked through part of campus, guided by my memory and by Max and Abby (MU students) as well as other students and employees. We walked on a couple of town streets, then into the uptown area. Conversations were held by various participants along the way, and the group stopped and talked to a couple of female students who hadn't heard of the Walk. (and they weren't the only ones)

Finally, just before we ate, we stopped and talked to various protesters, including Magda Orlander and Evan Fackler. We repeatedly invited them to lunch to continue the conversations (and to get out of the rain), but they politely refused. It was a real shame.

My impression is that in their minds, a discussion of guns ought to be about *everything* that does or may involve guns. Regardless, it's too bad the discussion didn't continue, although I understand Stephen J. Feltoon, the MU grad who suggested an MU Walk to me, had a pleasant conversation after we left to eat.

That's it for me!

Please post YOUR impressions, thanks again for coming, and please FRIEND ME so you are notified of future events.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
>> Lying Mommy Alert <<

Well folks, we made the bigtime! The group that has and continues to lie and/or mislead the public about gun-related issues (as well as incidences I've personally been involved in) has posted about the MU Walk on their Facebook page.

You owe it to yourself to read the unhinged, hateful, uninformed, uncensored rhetoric that is spewed by various members, and take note of which posts garner lots of "likes'. Required reading!

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandAction/posts/971711422946778

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Most of the students (some hadn't yet arrived, and at least one didn't want to be photographed because she was concerned about her sorority's reaction), plus some guy in a red jacket.

k2h53n.jpg

The whole group (minus a few people).

3039y7q.jpg

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
One of the desires of the protesters re: the Walk was that they wanted to "...keep our campus safe from violence and white supremacy."

I guess it worked!

214cn0p.jpg

DeSchaine

Well folks, we made the bigtime! The group that has and continues to lie and/or mislead the public about gun-related issues (as well as incidences I've personally been involved in) has posted about the MU Walk on their Facebook page.

You owe it to yourself to read the unhinged, hateful, uninformed, uncensored rhetoric that is spewed by various members, and take note of which posts garner lots of "likes'. Required reading!

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandAction/posts/971711422946778

You forgot to mention blissfully ignorant. The first reply shows just how utterly like STUPID SHEEP these people are. No, scratch that. It's not fair to insult the sheep with the comparison. Congrats on a successful walk. Is it safe to assume the next goal is 100+?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... Congrats on a successful walk. Is it safe to assume the next goal is 100+?
If the sun had been out, I sincerely think we could have hit 100, BUT Miami U's press release got media attention and dialogue going like there was no tomorrow - and that's equally valuable.