• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal Freedom

joanie

I've been seeing alot of discussion from both sides on this gun issue, and again within the pro gun culture on open or conceal carry. Then in a broader perspective on our freedoms and rights in general and how we could be loseing them, or giving them up. I hear those offering answers to questions of why we need this or that, or why would you want to open carry. I can answer it in two words. Those words are in the title of this topic, however, Ill repeat it as it's worth repeating. Personal Freedom, that is to say that for me, open carrying asserts that personal freedom that goes tward God given free will. Truth be told I don't need a gun, or to carry one. The only real trouble I've had from others has come from police, and as far as defending myself against them, I don't think I've reached that point yet. Theres still some small measure of justice in the courts.

Theres at least as many laws as there are bugs on the ground, and unless your watching where you step at all times, theres no way of knowing if you might kill a few bugs, or if you broke a few laws. I heard somewhere that a law that counteracts the constitiution and bill of rights is null n void. Not sure exactly where I heard it, but I like the idea that theres a set of rights to protect us from so many laws. When I see the 4th amendment violated at the airports, or hear somewhere how the 1st amendment is under attack.

I have nothing against carrying concealed, I do however have a problem with the fact that there has to be a law in place that allows it, and a permit to obtain to do so. Seems an infringment on the 2ed amendment, one that specifies tward the end that it shall not be infringed. Also seems like a stepping stone tward other laws and permits to come. Like permits to open carry and as I understand, some states already have that. So if I get a conceal permit, am I a trator to personal freedom? Thats what I am still tring to work out in my mind, and the reason I haven't already gotten one. So many of my family has a CCW permit. They are into guns, but I don't see them as being into personal freedom.

One last point, Humanity. We as humans however you want to believe that we came to be or were created, are meant to evolve. We need that God given free will, or personal freedom to make our own choices, even bad choices. Thats how we learn and grow, hence, evolve. We give that up, and we do not evolve, if all our choices are made for us, it might make our lives easyer in some ways, but we cease to be human.

eye95

I don't care about concealed carry. Carry is the Right. Concealment is a separate action not necessary to carry. As long as I can carry in my home, in my car, and in almost all public spaces, I don't care if they say that I cannot cover the firearm or that I must have a permission slip to do so. I will simply just not cover the firearm.

MyWifeSaidYes

I don't care about concealed carry. Carry is the Right. Concealment is a separate action not necessary to carry. As long as I can carry in my home, in my car, and in almost all public spaces, I don't care if they say that I cannot cover the firearm or that I must have a permission slip to do so. I will simply just not cover the firearm.

We're still working on combining the "open carry", "in my car" and "loaded".

:banghead: :(

nonameisgood

Well, there doesn't have to be a law allowing concealed carry, but there are many law prohibiting it, which does make it necessary to have another law.

I am all for freedom, yet I am willing to compromise certain things in order to get others. I'm not prepared to yield on many things, but I think some people draw that line at a place I find unreasonable. For instance, I am willing to pay taxes in exchange for police and fire protection, border defense, roads, and the multiple other things I get for my money.

A problem, as you observe, is that there are way too many laws. I'd like to see us "sequester" the laws, that is, get rid of half of them. Maybe a system that sunsets a law every 10-20 years so it's not once-and-done. And a provision to prohibit renewal en masse without debate.

rushcreek2

It seems to me that the constitutions which ARE LAWS despite the idiotic attempts by so-called "progressives" (Marxists) to engage in constitutional revisionism, and dismiss them as mere articulate "flyers" circulated prior to the enactment of REAL laws - have in fact been "sequestered".

The high powers of government have attempted to convince us that our constitutions have been "sequestered" within the file cabinets of the respective courts. From time to time these courts release OPINIONS relating to THE JUSTICE'S PERSPECTIVE regarding these constitutions.

Whenever these sacred DISPENSATIONS of legal wisdom proceed forth we mere taxpayers (the PEOPLE) are prone to gather at the docket and hear the "TRUTH" according to the justices' OPINIONS as to what our constitutions REALLY "mean" - as if we were incapable of actually READING and understanding the plain English found therein.

First case in point of course being our favorite - the Second Amendment which is profoundly ambiguous, and frankly far beyond the ability of mere taxpaying citizens to understand what "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" .......really means.

Last edited: