• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pincus tries to shoot himself in the left arm

utbagpiper

Banned
Seems to me that so long as the only person potentially endangered by a particular training method is the person engaged in the training, it is really a personal decision that neither the law nor any of us need to try to prohibit.

Mature adults need to decide for themselves what training and what methods make sense. I suspect that if this method is as dangerous as some suggest, that will become quite evident as we read about the rash of self-inflicted gun shot wounds.

I'll look for those reports somewhere near the reports of OCers having their guns taken away from them, or being targeted by ninja thieves looking to knock off the Quickie Mart and knowing that to succeed they need to first eliminate all armed citizens. Or maybe we'll read about it next to the articles of blood in the street after the next State recognizes the constitutional right to carry guns without permits.

Charles

independence

Seems to me that so long as the only person potentially endangered by a particular training method is the person engaged in the training, it is really a personal decision that neither the law nor any of us need to try to prohibit.

Mature adults need to decide for themselves what training and what methods make sense. I suspect that if this method is as dangerous as some suggest, that will become quite evident as we read about the rash of self-inflicted gun shot wounds.

I'll look for those reports somewhere near the reports of OCers having their guns taken away from them, or being targeted by ninja thieves looking to knock off the Quickie Mart and knowing that to succeed they need to first eliminate all armed citizens. Or maybe we'll read about it next to the articles of blood in the street after the next State recognizes the constitutional right to carry guns without permits.

Charles

Na...I don't want to prohibit anybody from anything - certainly not through laws. I'm a voluntarist. That was never the debate for me. The debate was whether he endangered himself. I think it should remain legal for people to endanger themselves, lol.

WalkingWolf

Na...I don't want to prohibit anybody from anything - certainly not through laws. I'm a voluntarist. That was never the debate for me. The debate was whether he endangered himself. I think it should remain legal for people to endanger themselves, lol.

That is Darwin's law. :lol:

There should not be a law against criticizing stupid Darwin behavior either. And unlike the gun grab myth people have shot themselves doing this drill. I will post the video again. The sad part is~~these Darwin Award candidates IMO have no good reason for doing this behavior. The supposed benefit of life fire 1 foot training is not beneficial to the hazards. To me it is like handcuffing yourself to a concrete block and jumping in a river to train for falling in a river handcuffed to a concrete block.

In fact at that close range against a attacker, particularly with a knife, the victim loses control by going for a firearm. I think the training should be more NOT getting into that situation in the first place. In all the scuffles I had as a LEO my first choice was always the baton. But that was before tasers, and if one is that concerned a taser at close distance is far more effective. Almost every video I have seen tasered subjects have dropped like a bag of potatoes, we know this is not true for gunshot wounds. In hand to hand the handgun is not the best choice, it is a choice.

But then I am not tactikewl, nor want to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5Xi6RsRqk

Another Dawrin award winner doing something that invites a stupid prize. I see nothing wrong with practicing weak handed quick draw, BUT WITH A NON GUN, or airsoft. It is a fact that a contestant cannot compete in SA fast draw with anything other than wax bullets. Same goes for mounted SASS, wax bullets only, because for safety there is no benefit to use live ammo for this type of training or competition. The benefits are few, and the hazards are many.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tazers can be ineffective when the actor is wearing winter/heavy clothing. I personally know one person that no one should taze - it just POs him In the required training cycle, he threw the 2 instructors to the mat.

In our discussions disagreement is inevitable, but continually repeating the same thought(s) (over and over) becomes a rant and can be very rude. Temper this urge - have your say, clarify if need be, and move on, please.

On the subject, I have trained to use a handgun within contact distance and another family member (senior use of force instructor) teaches it to new instructors and special teams.

WalkingWolf

I would imagine heavy clothing with tasers would be outdoors. SA should never let a threat get that close. The most likely situation for a close encounter would be IMO indoors. And the same rules apply with heavy clothing using firearms, especially if they are hollow points. People rarely just drop when shot, unless the shot is to the spinal cord or the brain. People most times when tazed drop.

The best training is to not get into that situation to begin with IMO. I am not saying that particular training should be outlawed, just putting up the risks to benefits. Sorry if it sounded like a rant, but I am a safety nazi.