• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please help $upport Josh's case

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
To all contributors (including myself),

I know no more about this situation than any of you. I am at this point giving up on any further contact from Josh. Accordingly I will refund the 39.33% mentioned earlier. I will be PMing each contributor with the exception of Lonny Crawford since I have no contact information for him. If anyone can assist I'd appreciate it.

And folks, there's nothing fishy here. Josh asked for help and several gave. I told you then that this was not my money and I meant it. I had hoped Josh would keep communicating and fighting this but perhaps that wasn't feasible. I do not know any of the details why olypendrew chose not to keep representing him for an appeal.

I wish this had turned out better for the OC community in Washington and hope at least that you do not feel cheated in any way. I am keeping nothing from the fund.

I was never asked to pay olypendrew for hours worked, just travel and expenses. I think that was extremely generous of him.

The biggest monetary contributor by far as I understand it was SVG. I will contribute my 39.33% to help defray his very generous gift.

1245A Defender

Upon further review!!!

Jim I thank you for taking on this thankless task, and I add this.
in addition to the listed donations, suddenvalleygunner donated about 600$ for the transcripts, that we still cant see.
So in regards to the overall income of money and the overall outgo of money,
it is proper, in my mind that SVG also share in this refund of unused money.
new math shows that a refund to each contributers donation should be figured at the rate of 24.55%, including SVGs 600$ donation.
i would also like you to keep 5$ of my refund to defray your time, trouble and postage.
i am saddened and disappointed that this whole case has gone so Sideways.
and again i apologize for my personal hard a$$ posts in the past.
i will PM you a name and address, but i hope that others involved will chime in and either support this plan, or show why not!

ETA; If Josh ever comes back with a plan and an attorney, willing, able and prepared to mount an appeal to this
travesty of INjustUS, I will be prepared and able and willing to make a new donation to support the cause!

Last edited:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Jim I thank you for taking on this thankless task, and I add this.
in addition to the listed donations, suddenvalleygunner donated about 600$ for the transcripts, that we still cant see.
So in regards to the overall income of money and the overall outgo of money,
it is proper, in my mind that SVG also share in this refund of unused money.
new math shows that a refund to each contributers donation should be figured at the rate of 24.55%, including SVGs 600$ donation.
i would also like you to keep 5$ of my refund to defray your time, trouble and postage.
i am saddened and disappointed that this whole case has gone so Sideways.
and again i apologize for my personal hard a$$ posts.
i will PM you a name and address, but i hope that others involved will chime in and either support this plan, or show why not!

While I agree that SVG's contribution deserves return, his funds did not pass through me and I will not make other peoples' decisions for them. I encourage all to consider it but that is their call after I refund their share.

1245A Defender

well,,,

While I agree that SVG's contribution deserves return, his funds did not pass through me and I will not make other peoples' decisions for them. I encourage all to consider it but that is their call after I refund their share.

I appreciate your adherence to the amounts paid through you, BUT I want to pay back SVG,
this is my own feeling, the question remains, will you accept a small amount of my refund to repay you?
My share of the refund at 39.33% is 102.88, i want you to keep 5$, then i will send SVG 38.66$,
that is his share of my refund that is his share of total donations made to Joshs case.
i would hope that others that have made donations will tell you to refund at the same %rate,
let you keep some for your time and trouble and pass along a share of their refund to SVG to refund for his donation.

so I like funny math, so my donation of 261.57$X.39.33% refund= 102.88$ X 37.58% SVGs share=38.66$ ,
so 5$ for you, 38.66$ from me to SVG = 59.22$ net to me equals a total of 102.88$ !

this is how i will handle my refund, all other donators must make their own choice.
I have made my own choice, you can make yours too.

i hope to someday read the transcripts of the original trail.
whether we will get to see these or not has no bearing on the payment that has been made for them

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Jim675, Please do not take the comment about something smells fishy when it comes to your handling of the funds, as I am sure most here would agree it is beyond approach and up front.

Since their was an appeal, if we or someone had Josh's full name the appeal maybe found or requested so an open view of what has happened can be done.

located Joshua full name, thanks.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Something is smelling fishy in Denmark, it's not the fish either!

Maybe its your upper lip! :p

Sorry Dave couldn't help it, and it wasn't meant as a personal attack just a ribbing. I don't think anything is fishy though just people trying to move on with their lives.

I appreciate you guys thinking of me. But I'd rather any funds not be given to me but to further the cause in another way. I was opposed to Gogodawgs original idea of an organized group to protect our rights, but after spending some time looking at the other states I think we do need something like this. That way we can appeal this horrible decision in an organized manner, as much as I don't like that idea.

I also am trying to work on something myself and have come to realize that to actually get something accomplished in that field time and money are needed, and when we are struggling just to live it is often hard to try to fight battles that need to be fought, especially when they stack the deck against you.

.45ACPaddy

I still want to be patient with this, since I figure the court system likes to take its sweet time with certain things. I figure it could be over a year before we hear anything, so I'm still gonna hold my breath. Now that I'm working, I'd like to donate toward Josh's case, despite having not heard anything recently.

1245A Defender

Wow!!

I still want to be patient with this, since I figure the court system likes to take its sweet time with certain things. I figure it could be over a year before we hear anything, so I'm still gonna hold my breath. Now that I'm working, I'd like to donate toward Josh's case, despite having not heard anything recently.

Its WAY too late for donating now!
we are getting refunds of unused money!
the case for josh is no more. josh and the attorney are OFF the web. we havent heard anything for months.
SVG paid for the transcripts from the original trial, but we still havent seen those, and the ruling from the lost appeal still hasnt been written.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It would be nice to know what happened, like it or not it effects anyone who open carries in Vancouver, WA.
If Josh was with out fault then why not push it as far as one can and why did they loose in the first appeal?

I remember a get together was held in Vancouver not so far in the past and went on with out incident, thankfully.
One must asked why? Was it do to work by others to make this happen or was there other issues at work in the two incidents?

It makes one think if you are not willing to make a stand and follow through, you could do more harm then good. Do we really want another Sequim ruling that must muddies the water?

olypendrew

The case is not over, despite unfounded rumors to that effect being spread on this forum by people who think they get to call the shots in someone else's case. We are still awaiting the written order denying the first round of the appeal process. Although some people on this board are getting pretty antsy about this case, I don't work for them, so they don't get to call the shots, as much as they might like to. Everyone needs to be patient.

As far as I am concerned, Josh did nothing wrong, and he is a hero to me for standing up for all of our rights under the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments.

sudden valley gunner

The case is not over, despite unfounded rumors to that effect being spread on this forum by people who think they get to call the shots in someone else's case. We are still awaiting the written order denying the first round of the appeal process. Although some people on this board are getting pretty antsy about this case, I don't work for them, so they don't get to call the shots, as much as they might like to. Everyone needs to be patient.

As far as I am concerned, Josh did nothing wrong, and he is a hero to me for standing up for all of our rights under the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments.

+1

Thanks Drew and thanks for standing up for our rights too.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I think what everyone is asking for, is the reason this is not over. Unless there is something not being disclosed, this should be pretty cut and dry.

The reason it is not over: the judge has not ruled upon the appeal. The length of time is actually a good thing. If the case had no validity for an appeal it would of been responded to quite quickly. However, the time frame indicates to me that the judge has to do his research to defend his opinion on the case.

FMCDH

In effect Drew, I think that's what most people were waiting to hear.

As the old saying goes, in absence of fact, imaginations will wander.

As for me...

I have been following this case since the first day it was posted, and will continue to follow it, and support Joshua in fighting it. I know nothing more than anyone else here that has read and re-read the entire thread, but the facts that I know show me that this one was a travesty of justice. I wish I had more information, but I am comfortable with what I know.

Most if not all of the nay-sayers pointing to "a pro-gun jury" seem to forget that just because someone has a CPL or owns a gun, doesn't make them pro-carry, and it ESPECIALLY doesn't make them pro open-carry. I know dozens of CPL holders in the military who do not carry except when hiking, and THATS why they got it. I think that tells you something about the mindset of the average CPL holder.

Whats also been forgotten or ignored by many, is that the first judge that heard this case threw it out, and that alone tells me almost anything I need to know about the validity of the charges.

I will accept my money back, but If my donations are needed again for this or further appeals, Joshua can count on it.

amzbrady

It just seems to me that if this was just a case of someone standing around a store with a gun in a holster, they could review store video see that, Attorney cites law, no law broken, case thrown out, training bulliten sent and all is happy in law abiding citizen land. I have to wonder why an appeal is needed for law abiding activities. Is this a bad judgement by a dishonest judge? Is this misrepresentation by an unskilled attorney? Is this a lack of information to us that would help us to understand more why the proceedings are ongoing and taking so long? I am curious to see what come to light in the end...

Stretch

The reason it is not over: the judge has not ruled upon the appeal. The length of time is actually a good thing. If the case had no validity for an appeal it would of been responded to quite quickly. However, the time frame indicates to me that the judge has to do his research to defend his opinion on the case.

Can the judge overturn his ruling if his research shows his opinion is wrong? Do they do that?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Can the judge overturn his ruling if his research shows his opinion is wrong? Do they do that?

Can which judge overturn which ruling?

All that exists now is a jury trial. It can only be appealed upon fact that was introduced during the jury trial (i.e. no new fact can be added). It is a matter of whether the facts presented at the trial violate the stare decis that exists within the State of Washington.

What is happening now is that the judge is writing an opinion to either overturn the jury's decision or support it based on stare decis and that opinion will have multiple cites of all of the 2A court cases in our state's history. The appellate judge writing this decision knows that it will be likely appealed to the State Supreme Court.

sudden valley gunner

In effect Drew, I think that's what most people were waiting to hear.

As the old saying goes, in absence of fact, imaginations will wander.

As for me...

I have been following this case since the first day it was posted, and will continue to follow it, and support Joshua in fighting it. I know nothing more than anyone else here that has read and re-read the entire thread, but the facts that I know show me that this one was a travesty of justice. I wish I had more information, but I am comfortable with what I know.

Most if not all of the nay-sayers pointing to "a pro-gun jury" seem to forget that just because someone has a CPL or owns a gun, doesn't make them pro-carry, and it ESPECIALLY doesn't make them pro open-carry. I know dozens of CPL holders in the military who do not carry except when hiking, and THATS why they got it. I think that tells you something about the mindset of the average CPL holder.

Whats also been forgotten or ignored by many, is that the first judge that heard this case threw it out, and that alone tells me almost anything I need to know about the validity of the charges.

I will accept my money back, but If my donations are needed again for this or further appeals, Joshua can count on it.

+1

irfner

Campaign Veteran
Can which judge overturn which ruling?

All that exists now is a jury trial. It can only be appealed upon fact that was introduced during the jury trial (i.e. no new fact can be added). It is a matter of whether the facts presented at the trial violate the stare decis that exists within the State of Washington.

What is happening now is that the judge is writing an opinion to either overturn the jury's decision or support it based on stare decis and that opinion will have multiple cites of all of the 2A court cases in our state's history. The appellate judge writing this decision knows that it will be likely appealed to the State Supreme Court.

I am not trying to open old wounds but.

Did this decision ever get written? Who will appeal it to the Supreme Court? It has been a while. Is there any final disposition or is something still plugging along at a snales pace? Have we ever deternined why the original trial was lost?

Jim675 I have no interest in a refund of any size and I hope you use (or used) any funds to further the cause of OC as you see fit.

Irfner