• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pocket Pistol Safety.

WalkingWolf

Load one, skip one, load four, cock hammer all the way back, pull trigger while holding the hammer and ease the hammer down on the empty chamber. Cock hammer and pull trigger to fire. All guns should be so simple. :lol:

Just try this instead, half cock, load five, ease hammer down, check chamber by looking from the side. It should be a empty chamber under the hammer. A lot of ND's have happened with the hammer full cocked and then somehow going bang. I have carried SA revolvers my whole life, I never used the load one, skip one, load four, cock hammer, drop hammer. It only takes one distraction to bring about a tragedy. Half cock does not forward the cylinder, it just releases the cylinder stop. So it can be lowered on a empty chamber without cocking the hammer. The hammer should never be cocked to fire unless you are going to fire.

I have seen more than one hole in the loading table from somebody dropping a hammer on an empty chamber.

BTW I agree with simple. When I first started out as officer it was with a combat magnum. I only used the double action on it on the range, when required. After years of carrying a colt pocket cap and ball, I was more comfortable with cock and fire. It is why I feel comfortable OCing SA revolver, and a double action revolver backup.

Also if you do not mind the wear mark in between one of your cylinders, you can carry your SAA with six rounds by placing the firing pin between cartridge heads. I had a friend for a machine company that machined one of my cap and ball revolvers years ago with a extra cylinder stop for safe carry. On a center fire if the FP makes contact with the cylinder face a small dimple will also have to be machined to protect the FP if dropped. On my SA navy conversion it does not, and I am not worried about the wear marks.

Last edited: