• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled Over

Porter N

I was in a rush on my way to work a couple days ago. Because i cannot wear my firearm into work, I have a spot in my car to secure it. However, i don't secure it until i am parked at work and about to leave my car, so until then it sits on my passenger seat. I was on my way to work and my radar detector was going off - i noticed a police car two cars in front of me. I took a side road shortcut i usually take and i was then three cars ahead of where i was before, making the police car the second one behind me. I came to a red light and stopped third car in line in the left turn lane. The police officer was in the center - straight forward lane, slowly driving ahead to the white line of the intersection, a few cars in front of my position. he passed by my car and never once glanced at me, so i didint think anything of it. When the light turned green, the police officer waited until i turned left and he, from the center lane, made a wide left turn to follow me. As i pulled into the parking lot of my work, he lit me up and i went ahead and parked in my spot not far from the road. My co-workers were all waiving at me. the humor they got

I know Utah doesn't have any notification laws, but i am sure if the officer had noticed the holstered gun on the passenger seat, there could have been a high probability that i end up at gunpoint, so he approached, asked for my license and registration. i kept my hands on the steering wheel, and said "I do want you to know i have a concealed handgun permit, and do have a holstered handgun on my passenger seat." he said "what? its on your passenger seat?" he leaned in and saw it and said, "ok. lets not touch the gun then." So i handed him my permit and license along with my insurance. as he came back to the car, i noticed in my side view mirror that he unsnapped his holster and had his hand on his glock.... but can't blame him for being cautious. anyway - he came back and asked if i had the registration sticker that should be on my license plate. I found it in the glove box. he told me i should probably put it on the car sometime since i've had it for a while. oops. he told me to have a nice day and left.

I know i don't HAVE to notify, but i felt like it was best in this situation.

sawah

I think it's quite excusable to 'notify' if you have the firearm on the seat next to you. That's a bit different, and of course you have to play it by ear being the one stopped. Shame on you for not putting your sticker on your plate. That's part of SA. You failed to have a properly secured and licensed vehicle - it's dangerous to be stopped, so imo, it's quite an epic fail to get pulled for an oversight.

Thanks for sharing the story.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Kudos to the cop for not pulling you out of the car and then taking your gun. He didn't even touch your gun, so points for him there too.

In your specific situation I may have notified the officer as well.

ManInBlack

I know Utah doesn't have any notification laws, but i am sure if the officer had noticed the holstered gun on the passenger seat, there could have been a high probability that i end up at gunpoint

This is certainly not my expectation when traveling through Utah. Why would a police officer be worried about a gun that was left completely in the open for him to see? Clearly, you haven nothing to hide regarding your possession of it.

i kept my hands on the steering wheel, and said "I do want you to know i have a concealed handgun permit, and do have a holstered handgun on my passenger seat." he said "what? its on your passenger seat?" he leaned in and saw it and said, "ok. lets not touch the gun then." So i handed him my permit and license along with my insurance. as he came back to the car, i noticed in my side view mirror that he unsnapped his holster and had his hand on his glock.... but can't blame him for being cautious. anyway - he came back and asked if i had the registration sticker that should be on my license plate. I found it in the glove box. he told me i should probably put it on the car sometime since i've had it for a while. oops. he told me to have a nice day and left.

I don't understand why you mentioned your permit or gave it to the police officer, as it is not necessary for fully-loaded vehicle carry in Utah.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FirearmLaws.html
Carrying in Vehicles

A person may not carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle unless they have a valid permit to carry or:

• They are at least 18 years old and
  • Has lawful possession of the vehicle or consent of the person who has lawful possession of the vehicle and
  • The weapon is not a rifle, shotgun or muzzle-loading rifle

I know i don't HAVE to notify, but i felt like it was best in this situation.

You can make your own decisions, but I prefer not to tell total strangers about my private property, especially when such knowledge has, at least in some cases, unduly raised the tension of the situation.

I'm not sure that the fact that the officer had unsnapped his holster had anything to do with your weapon - it may have been standard procedure. If I was in the business of accosting vehicles on the public highways, I would certainly unsnap my holster when approaching them, as it is the only way to have a fighting chance of drawing your weapon in time (personally, I wouldn't use a holster with a snap...). Every police officer that has ever approached my vehicle has kept his hand near his weapon, if not on it.

Last edited:

leeland

Pulled over today

Trying not to be a menace and keep up with surrounding traffic I ended up getting pulled over today as well so I figured I'd add my experience to this thread....

The officer (James Banks UHP) approached the car and did the usual "Do you know the speed limit? Do you know how fast you were going?" My answers were yes and no respectively. He asked to see the license, registration, and insurance card. With hands on the steering wheel and a smile on my face, I told him that my license was inside my bag on the seat and that I also had my sidearm in the bag. All he said was: "OK, just leave the gun in there and grab your license please."

As I handed him my license, he asked: "By the way, do you happen to have a CWP?" Then before I could even really answer, he followed up with: "Utah law doesn't require you to have one. You are welcome to have a loaded gun in your car with or without a license." I told him that I did have a CWP and would be happy to show it to him if it was helpful. He said he didn't need to see it and headed back to his vehicle to write up paperwork.

When he came back, we spoke for a moment about how: "Yes, I was going the same speed as everyone else." and "Yes, he would pull over everyone if it were practical or possible." Right before we parted contact, he asked in a very conversational tone what kind of gun a liked to carry. I told him that my normal daily carry, and what I had with me right then, was a 1911, but that I had several guns for different occasions. He then thanked me for carrying a firearm and said that he wished more citizens would take responsibility for their safety and carry a handgun. We shook hands, he told me to be safe, I told him the same and we parted ways.

I was impressed with the professional way I was treated. If you plan to get pulled over, I highly recommend Officer Banks! :lol:

Last edited:

yo101jimmy

Trying not to be a menace and keep up with surrounding traffic I ended up getting pulled over today as well so I figured I'd add my experience to this thread....

The officer (James Banks UHP) approached the car and did the usual "Do you know the speed limit? Do you know how fast you were going?" My answers were yes and no respectively. He asked to see the license, registration, and insurance card. With hands on the steering wheel and a smile on my face, I told him that my license was inside my bag on the seat and that I also had my sidearm in the bag. All he said was: "OK, just leave the gun in there and grab your license please."

As I handed him my license, he asked: "By the way, do you happen to have a CWP?" Then before I could even really answer, he followed up with: "Utah law doesn't require you to have one. You are welcome to have a loaded gun in your car with or without a license." I told him that I did have a CWP and would be happy to show it to him if it was helpful. He said he didn't need to see it and headed back to his vehicle to write up paperwork.

When he came back, we spoke for a moment about how: "Yes, I was going the same speed as everyone else." and "Yes, he would pull over everyone if it were practical or possible." Right before we parted contact, he asked in a very conversational tone what kind of gun a liked to carry. I told him that my normal daily carry, and what I had with me right then, was a 1911, but that I had several guns for different occasions. He then thanked me for carrying a firearm and said that he wished more citizens would take responsibility for their safety and carry a handgun. We shook hands, he told me to be safe, I told him the same and we parted ways.

I was impressed with the professional way I was treated. If you plan to get pulled over, I highly recommend Officer Banks! :lol:

Very awesome stories! Police in Utah are being more aware of open carry. I was not pulled over but at a parade and like most all the streets are blocked with police. I was carrying my side arm I have 2 police officers look at me then the gun back towards my face then a smile. Officers I know wish more people like this UHP officer said would carry a firearm to protect them self and others if called for.

AWESOME job on how these officers handled them self.