• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About Legal Use of Firearm:

jfrenchudm

imported post

Here is what you do; you place yourself between the aggressor and your own dog, and shoot the oncoming aggressive animal out of fear for your own safety. Where I live, there are many idiots that have no idea how to control their animals, and I pay very close attention. Three times we have been attacked when walking our dog, one, a nasty little beagle, that I kept kicking away (quite easy considering I am 6'7" and 260Lbs) until the owner finally took control of it, the same happened with a larger mutt, except I had to grab that animal and throw it away. The third time we were attacked was a small pitbull (maybe 50 Lbs). I considered drawing on the animal, but I was quicker than its mouth, and had it in a choke hold before it knew what happened (I then drug it back to its yard).

I see no problem with shooting an aggressive dog before it attacks your own, if you are not confident in your dog a** kicking abilities. What I mean is, until that dog actually attacks yours, you do not know if it is going after you or your dog.

Veritas

imported post

Well I guess the good news is that my younger dog seems capable of taking care of herself already. At under 6 months old, she's already standing 23 inches tall (at the shoulders) and can jump to reach targets 6 1/2 feet in the air. To put that in perspective, she's still got another 6 months or so to grow in height and she's already the size of a full-grown female.

I try to socialize her with as many other animals (not just dogs) and people as possible... so far she's taking well to all. I take her to pet stores to see and sniff out all different types of creatures to reduce her prey drive. She's extremely good with small animals and children. With larger animals, she loves to play and they can get a little rough. My friends Pit Bull (a smaller one) recently tried to dominate her by coming over the top and pinning her (nothing violent... it was done while playing) and my lil girl turned the tables on her. Another friend has a mixed breed dog... I think he's part Boxer or something... and this thing is stout and strong. Playing tug of war with him, he almost pulled me over! My girl plays with him and even with the weight disadvantage, still manages to hold her own some of the time.

That's the only thing that really "worries" me right now (her weight)... she won't completely fill out in the chest and shoulders for another 12 to 18 months so heavier dogs can still pin her down.

All said, this dog just amazes me sometimes. I really think I got lucky with her... she's got the drive, ambition, wits, and physical ability to be so much more than just a pet. I almost feel OBLIGATED to enroll her into some sort of work training... I think she would really enjoy it.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Figured it was as good here as anywhere else. Got my puppy today! :D

DSC02102.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

Veritas

imported post

Cute pup. Enjoy it while it lasts... they grow up fast.

February 2009 (8 weeks old):

Pandora022109.jpg

What she looks like today just 5 months later (although this isn't her, it's a spitting image of her):
1GSDGrown.jpg

FatboyCykes

imported post

Wife likes Jasper, Jas(z) for short, this is him at 6 weeks. We will be cropping the ears.

Nice pics guys! She's gorgeous Veritas. <3 the shirt Vance :D

Veritas

imported post

Hahahaha that's awesome. How old is Onyx?

I like the idea of having a little get together with our guns and dogs. Maybe take it up a notch and include our 4X4's. Then we'll look like true rednecks... yeehaw!

I'll bring the Hank Williams. :p