• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response from Goodwill Industires

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I just spent a week with three longtime friends in my house. We played video games from dawn till midnight every day. X-boxes linked together. One ate only from a giant birthday cake he inexplicably purchased from the local supermarket bakery counter. It had real x-mas ornaments on it. They all refused to shower for the duration. Two of us left exactly once for ice cream.

My house smells of farts, bong water, stale beer, BO, cat litter, burnt electronics and despair.

I thought today was Wed.

I relish your offer Sir.

I'll take that relish for my hot dog too, TYVM; and I've been to Gencon, your idle implications fall on deaf ears. :p:lol:

On another note: Thread officially hijacked!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

IcrewUH60

My definition of asshattery would be, butt not limited to:

Entertainers/authors/musicians who are cult members of Scientology and/or PeTA.

Any person or business who supports the tyrant Obummer.

Any person, business, local municipality or state, that infringes on my Constitutional Rights. Or names a highway after the convicted murderer (Tenn) Sen. Carl 0. Koella Jr., who was blind drunk and killed motorcyclist Terry Barnard. Then fled the scene.

Illinois.

Republicans AND Democrats. (except Pam Galloway for President)

Corporate, banking, investment, media, trading, and RMA thieves, robber barons, and usurpers of the American Middle class and Government...

Ketchup on hot dogs.

New York "style" pizza.

3D.

Pay TV.

And Shooters for consistently saying stupid **** about Open/Concealed carry...

These are a few of the things I can not in good conscience support monetarily, emotionally, or morally. Funny and entertaining is what we are in dire need of.

The Good Will by me is neither funny or entertaining.

:eek:

I knew there was a diamond burried in this thread somewhere. Thanks Handy for not making me wait until page 17 to find it :cool:
I used to shop at the GW on Verona Rd. in Madison but not anymore. No Guns = No Money.

IcrewUH60

I thought someone else mentioned this location was NOT posted. I'll have to swing by there and see for myself.

please do and let me know. I like shopping there and would hate to add them to my blacklist. Do we know if they fall under the same corporate management as the others who posted?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.goodwill.org/uncategorized/faqs/
It seems like Goodwill services vary in different geographic locations. Why is this?
We are the corporate headquarters for Goodwill and we work with an autonomous member network. Our member Goodwills strive to identify the needs of the community and the demand of local industry for employment. Based on the needs of the community, each local Goodwill designs programs and services that give Goodwill graduates the skills they need to find work right where they live.

I have a question about store policies and operations I have experienced. Who can help me?
All Goodwill stores and donation centers are owned and operated by the local Goodwill Industries serving your community. Senior management at these Goodwills would like to know of your questions and concerns. Please use the Goodwill locator to find the appropriate main office to call or write.

http://locator.goodwill.org/

Name
Avi Stern, Online Publisher

Address:
1800 Appleton Road
Menasha
WI

E-mail: WEBMASTER@GWICC.ORG
Telephone: 1-800-482-0030
Fax: 920-731-3041

Information: Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) human services organization. It covers 35 counties and includes 22 retail stores and training centers from Manitowoc to La Crosse, and as far north as Rice Lake and Rhinelander.

Greg Bradburn

I think the most pressing question is what does Goodwill Industries have against their patrons with disabilities that cause them to think they are unworthy of personal protection?

I would suggest a more accurate sign for their door, something along the lines of the following:
Attention Criminals!
For your safety and convenience we have disarmed our patrons.
Happy Hunting.
Sincerely,
Goodwill Industries.

Motofixxer

I just spent a week with three longtime friends in my house. We played video games from dawn till midnight every day. X-boxes linked together. One ate only from a giant birthday cake he inexplicably purchased from the local supermarket bakery counter. It had real x-mas ornaments on it. They all refused to shower for the duration. Two of us left exactly once for ice cream.

My house smells of farts, bong water, stale beer, BO, cat litter, burnt electronics and despair.

I thought today was Wed.

I relish your offer Sir.

OOOH mental images I bind thee and cast thee from my mind, never to return. Get out now!!!

Last edited:

hermannr

I sent this question through the SE Wisconsin Goodwill website:

I have recently noticed your store located off of 124th and Capitol Dr has posted that Concealed Weapons are not allowed within the store. Is this the new policy of Goodwill Industries?

RetailCustomerService RetailCustomerService@goodwillsew.com
9:51 AM (23 minutes ago)

to me
Mr. Hockerman,

Thank you for your inquiry about our policy on Conceal Carry in our stores. After careful consideration Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin and Metropolitan Chicago decided not to allow concealed weapons within our stores. Goodwill values the safety of all of our patrons and employees. Customers that are properly licensed are allowed to carry concealed weapons while in our parking lots and at our drive up donation areas. As you may know, Goodwill is a non-for-profit organization that provides training, employment and supportive services for people with disabilities or disadvantages who seek greater independence. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and for your support of the Goodwill mission.

Sincerely,

Kay Gottardi
Administrative Assistant
5420 21st Street
Racine, WI 53406
262-551-2850

I guess I will be sending a "looks like my donations will not find there way to you" return email.

What I actually sent.

Kay,
Thank you for your reply. Due to Goodwill Industries discrimination against law abiding citizens who have gone through the proper channels of state/federal background checks to obtain a concealed carry license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, I will no longer be supporting the effort of Goodwill Industries. Your signs will only deter the law abiding public from patronizing you locations, those who choose to carry illegally will not be deterred by your signs as shown in the past instances across the nation. I have posted your reply on multiple forums I frequent. I will also suggest to all of my friends and family that they should no longer give there Donations or spend there money to support a company that does not support the freedoms given to us through the Constitution of the United States of America.

The only reason it bugs me is that the wife likes to go there to look for discarded/dontated prepper stuff

Your contact there stated whta was wrong..."WI and CHICAGO" anyway, you might want to Email her this link and ask, what would have happened if the law abiding civilian with a legal pistol had not reacted... http://www.kxly.com/news/29884524/detail.html

Badger Johnson

A couple days ago I wanted to take a donation to the GW on 92nd just north of Silver Spring (in NW Milwaukee), & when I drove past the front doors I saw they were posted.
:uhoh: (Yes, I added them to Friend or Foe.)
So I parked & went in instead.
Asked the cashier who I should talk to, she found a manager.
Asked him who I should talk to, he said the policy was set by corporate & gave me the below name/address.
I talked to him for a couple minutes, & got the same "you're welcome here, just leave it in the car" that other unthinking businesses have spouted.
I also pointed out that I was cc a large orange plastic pistol, & it could just as easily have been a real one... and a criminal wouldn't have honored their wishes.
I know he can't change the sign, but if enough customers make the same contact, maybe something will get back up the food chain.

1) want my money, accept me; there are other charities to donate to
2) you wouldn't tell someone to leave their cross-bearing necklace in the car
3) potential for MWAG
4) potential for ND
5) potential for theft
6) lost their immunity from liability
7) shows criminals where they'll be safe
8) I've shopped there while armed, with no problem
9) criteria for cc license - can your other customers or employees prove they're similarly non-criminal?
<snip for brevity>

I have to say, I have more respect for you than almost anyone I know, FWIW. You is awesome.

::Standing applause::

Badger Johnson

Smart move IMO, but i gotta ask, do you have the ability to foresee when and where a criminal may attack so you know if you are going to need to defend yourself or not? If so, whats the trick so I do not need to carry my pistol around in these known safe places.

OK, (takes a breath)...

1. I HAVE felt unsafe in a GoodWill, once (again, mine not posted, no metal detectors);
2. I do NOT think having a firearm, handgun INSIDE GoodWill would protect you against a pickpocket, a badguy who wanted to assault you (*);
3. A firearm might protect you from being killed as a witness if GW was robbed, but it's easy to hide in the ones here;
4. If my GWs put up a sign, I'd have my partner stand guard outside and I'd probably disarm (give gun to her) and go in. (Hangs head);
5. I'd TRY this first. I'd talk to the manager and ask if they'd make an exception to corporate policy for me and put it on paper, then I'd carry.

I don't go to many stores, but I do go to GoodWill. If mine posted legal and prominent signs, I would 'sort of' disarm, and I would feel sad for going against the OCDO credo and the many Vets and Armed Forces who have died for our 2A rights, in principle. But to give up the only store I go to is a bit much to ask. There are no alternatives. I shop for groceries - if signs I will go to another, I do GW-hunting. That's it. Otherwise I shop online.

(*) why do I think it would not be a good SD solution? If you are GoodWill Hunting you are totally focused on SEEING the deals and your SA is HORRIBLE. There are maybe 10 things out of 20,000 items that are worth buying each time. It is hard to see them. (Just like the classic gorilla costume guy walking through the video of a basketball game and no video viewers seeing him).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OK, (takes a breath)...

4. If my GWs put up a sign, I'd have my partner stand guard outside and I'd probably disarm (give gun to her) and go in. (Hangs head);

So you leave your bodyguard outside while the BG is on the inside. Either already inside waiting for you or comes in after you do. Or is your bodyguard going to frisk everyone coming in while you are there?

ultimate facepalm.png

stay safe.

msusnVet

I did troll. Read the quote in my signature.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?91371-Dancing-fools&highlight=dancing+jefferson

Any post by MilProGuy for starters.

Then there was this xxxxxxxxxxx of a thread started by a vet who embraces the Bardy Bunch argument on gun show loopholes...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ld-We-Require-Background-Checks-for-All-Sales

How's that for an appetizer? Now go xxxx xx xxxx xxxxx

Mr. Hamlet, no need for name calling and anger. To get you feeling better I will thank you for your continuing contribution to my very generous monthly stipend from the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs.

I will continue to donate to Goodwill Industries.

HandyHamlet

Oh yah?

How about you buy the next round with our hard earned money at Lizzy's then? Or will you be too busy stalking and listening in on conversations?

Deathss

Please post the precise locations in the Friend or Foe website, so that all of us can be aware.

http://www.friendorfoe.us/Default.aspx#la15

I posted these addresses in early December. I added the Salvation Army, but it won't let me add Goodwill to that area.

Goodwill Industries IS posted
W178 N9315 Watertower Place
Menomonee Falls,WI 53051

Salvation Army is Firearm Friendly
N89 W16899 Appleton Ave.
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051

I also emailed customer service in early December and never received a reply.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Mr. Hamlet, no need for name calling and anger. To get you feeling better I will thank you for your continuing contribution to my very generous monthly stipend from the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs.

I will continue to donate to Goodwill Industries.

troll.jpg