• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seeking guidance

armaborealis

And since it is illegal (I ASSume) for police officers to intimidate people, then OC clearly cannot be considered an intimidation.

Why would you think that the police are not allowed to intimidate? The police are allowed to deceive and regularly use verbal or physical coercion as part of the continuum of force to control suspects or people they are interviewing. I would not argue that openly carrying a sidearm is intimidating, however. I think the LEO generally intimidates through presence, appeal to authority, verbal commands, and "soft hands" physical restraint before moving up to more coercive physical interventions. Carrying a sidearm has nothing to do with most of those techniques.

For the OP -- Open carry is generally lawful and legal in the vast majority of states under a wide array of conditions. You are correct in that the legal boundaries of the 2A are being explored by all three branches of government. I would suggest watching cases in CA that evolve in response to their ban on OC. The SCOTUS in Heller (incorporated against the states in McDonald) that states must allow citizens to bear arms, either concealed or openly. Arguably, under Heller, states cannot ban both. Nor can they effectively ban both (i.e., technically allow CCW with permits being issued only to a few politically connected elites).

While philosophically many of us strongly concur in our combined understanding of the 2A as well as the 2A's historical context, the political reality is that protecting and preserving these freedoms requires active political participation.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Why would you think that the police are not allowed to intimidate? The police are allowed to deceive and regularly use verbal or physical coercion as part of the continuum of force to control suspects or people they are interviewing...

I thought it obvious we are referring to general intimidation of everyone around you for no purpose whatsoever.

And you make my point that this goes to show that OC is not intimidation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
he joined on the 25th,,, he was done on the other thread evening of the 26th...

the point is,,, he must be a quick study!,,, or he couldnt handle the truth!

Third posiblity -he/she only wanted to stir the pot and really wasn't interested in what answers were offered.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Third posiblity -he/she only wanted to stir the pot and really wasn't interested in what answers were offered.

Actually we had some arguements about the advice in dave workmans book, among ourselves, and with dave!
BTW his book is of less than dubious value.
We gave riodio some good things to think about and cites to read, and he did seem to start to get it, and said thanks,
but then he was just gone...

you could read the thread yourself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually we had some arguements about the advice in dave workmans book, among ourselves, and with dave!
BTW his book is of less than dubious value.
We gave riodio some good things to think about and cites to read, and he did seem to start to get it, and said thanks,
but then he was just gone...

you could read the thread yourself.

I will presume you are not being intentionally insulting - have followed this thread from the beginning as well as the other thread in which he posted.

He wasn't here long enough to make a final determination, though he could still come back and show us more of himself and where he is going.

1245A Defender

well,,,

I will presume you are not being intentionally insulting - have followed this thread from the beginning as well as the other thread in which he posted.

He wasn't here long enough to make a final determination, though he could still come back and show us more of himself and where he is going.

you presume correctly,,, you get around alot, so i should have assumed, that you had read both threads,,, "I said assumed haha!"

It seems odd to me that dave workmans book, about legal carry of guns in washington, was the central theme
of his being convinced that OCing a gun without a CPL was illegal.
Dave whos booklet has been advising folks for many years, and who wrote all the words that lead to riodio
being confused and conflicted about our right to carry doesnt accept any responsability for the misguidance in his guide!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
you presume correctly,,, you get around alot, so i should have assumed, that you had read both threads,,, "I said assumed haha!"

It seems odd to me that dave workmans book, about legal carry of guns in washington, was the central theme
of his being convinced that OCing a gun without a CPL was illegal.
Dave whos booklet has been advising folks for many years, and who wrote all the words that lead to riodio
being confused and conflicted about our right to carry doesnt accept any responsability for the misguidance in his guide!

Maybe I should change my signature line to "Have gun & travel a lot." :D

Picked up on the OC/CPL thing when it was first referenced - surprised me totally. Didn't have any way to check the content of Dave's book, so waited for others to confirm. I'm still scratching my skull over his misconception.

drjoker

no human rights

The government absolutely has the right - and responsibility - to require a permit .

Wow, so you're saying that you think we need government permits to exercise our HUMAN RIGHTS as guaranteed by the constitution? Constitutional rights end when you step outside your home?

P.S. personally, I think open carry is a bad idea because you lose the tactical advantage of surprise. However, I also think that open carry should be legal because the right to self defense with a firearm is a basic human right guaranteed by the constitution that "shall not be infringed." Requiring licensing, permits, and harassing open carry is "infringing" and therefore unconstitutional and illegal. I've signed petitions and written letter for open carry but if and when it passes, I will probably never open carry.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow, so you're saying that you think we need government permits to exercise our HUMAN RIGHTS as guaranteed by the constitution? Constitutional rights end when you step outside your home?

P.S. personally, I think open carry is a bad idea because you lose the tactical advantage of surprise. However, I also think that open carry should be legal because the right to self defense with a firearm is a basic human right guaranteed by the constitution that "shall not be infringed." Requiring licensing, permits, and harassing open carry is "infringing" and therefore unconstitutional and illegal. I've signed petitions and written letter for open carry but if and when it passes, I will probably never open carry.

Without any animosity intended, a CCer looks exactly like a disarmed victim - don't see that inviting the BG to try me then hoping I am fast enough and lucky enough to successfully defend myself to be a tactical advantage. Like the rattle snake, I offer a warning that I will not submit w/o your incurring great potential harm.