• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slideshow from the meetup!

Michigander

It has come to my attention that a year and a half after this event, and 4+ months after the 11th anniversary founders reunion, and about 8-9 years after pushing away/kicking out most of the founders, MOC will be hosting its own version of the 10th anniversary dinner. I thought I should clarify a few things publicly that their email got wrong.

Brighton's McDonald's meeting in December of 2007 with Venator, myself, Mastiff69 and his wife can't be counted as the beginning. The earliest I know of anyone in Michigan OCing in an urban area as a result of the movement spawned by this site, was me in about September or October of 2007, by myself in a few cities in Oakland County. Unfortunately John Pierce accidentally deleted the thread about the experiences of the early days, and so those records and so much more are long gone. More than a year before I started out, warchild was OCing in Owosso, but unaware it was a movement, he just read the laws and went for it, later finding this site.

That said, pistols, like long guns and bows and sticks have been carried since they were created. More than a decade prior, at least one Militia guy was OCing around his neighborhood without the present day transport laws and shall issue, its somewhere on YouTube on an old news clip. There is no pride nor positive self image to be extracted from carrying weapons. They are just tools, kind of like the anti gun criminal cops we have mostly succeeded in stopping from abusing us. The history of the beginning of hgoc's movement in Michigan doesn't mean much other than to the folks who were there or people who value and study activism, and with rare exception, all were kicked out or pushed away, so I will admit to being somewhat surprised this is an event, especially considering the lengths present day MOC has gone to distance itself from its activist roots.

In case anyone wondered if I would show up, the answer is no. I already did. I won't be going again.

Last edited:

solus

HUH ~ whew, sure glad I wasn’t wondering about MOC anything, let alone a cranky tirade about the organizational past events!

thanks for sharing your feeling(s) about how you believe you were alledgedly mistreated in the past, I certainly hope it brings you the closure you seek after all those many years ago so you can move on.

solus

I appreciate the time you took to troll me, but would suggest considering doing something more meaningful with your life.

Truly sorry Michigander you feel you were 'trolled', but even you must admit your bizarre, completely incoherent, and out of the blue post to a two year thread merits something, don't you?

Sorry, guess you didn't get the closure you felt you would with your post against the MOC...

Michigander

Not a matter of closure, they are hosting a duplicate event to this one, citing our actions 11 years ago as a reason. This is current events.

Evil Creamsicle

The email for reference.

By all means, it makes sense to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of MOC... it just doesn't make sense to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of an event that happened 11 years ago and whose participants have almost all been disassociated from MOC.
Seems to kick several founders out of the organization, then later espouse their actions, is ridiculous.

In any case, this will be the one year anniversary of the 10 year anniversary dinner dinner.
Untitled-1.png

griffin

Michigander and EC, the info in the notice came from Brian Jeffs. As for the banquet, it's been in the planning stages for quite a while. And it's not the 10 year anniversary of the first meeting, I believe it's the 10 year anniversary of MOC's incorporation, hence 2009 - 2019.

Last edited:

Michigander

Well, that's cool, and that thought had crossed my mind, but it makes it odd to say the least when it starts off talking about what we did more than 11 years ago.

It would be wise I think to be much more clear, because as is, it's a joke. Doesn't really matter who wrote it, unless Brian intended for it to be such.

griffin

All I can say is I did not write that. In fairness to the writer, the statement was that from that original meeting 1.5 years prior, Michigan Open Carry, Incorporated was born. This is the tenth anniversary of MOC, Inc. (which I believe was incorporated in March 2009 if memory serves). This was before my time with MOC or open carrying myself (although I had wanted to a decade earlier, which would have predated you all by many years!) :D

The "MOC, Inc." 10 year anniversary banquet was proposed about six months ago and it's been worked on ever since then. The original intent was to celebrate the "official, legal" (I guess) birth of MOC, Inc. I wrote about the original founding of MOC in the old MOC newsletter when I interviewed Brian Jeffs.

What I find more interesting is that you were OCing even before that! I never knew that. If I had known what I know now I would have invited you to have dinner with James Baker and I a couple of years ago. But back then I only knew him, not you.

griffin

Michigander, I personally invite you to come to the banquet. You can sit with me and my wife. We have a lot to discuss.

solus

Michigander, I personally invite you to come to the banquet. You can sit with me and my wife. We have a lot to discuss.

almost comparable to Trump inviting N Korea president to sit down and chat.

Kudos griffin for offering the olive branch...

Michigander

Not interested, unfortunately. The same old problems as ever persist, in addition to what I said above. As you know, MOC's board officially kicked me out for OCing, and blatantly, unofficially, for pointing out the urgent need to do something they later did for the same reasons I specified. The bridge was burned, and I can't personally rebuild it. I am disinterested in showing up either with or without a welcome to a MOC event, and even less so for an event that either already happened, or marks the decade anniversary of my crowning failure to make MOC into an on task and honest power house like AZCDL. If you see me at one, it will be for a police abuse case MOC has piggybacked onto, not for MOC in any way.

I have however wanted to meet you for many years now. Being now back in Michigan with zero intentions of moving again until I hopefully one day live to retirement age, I would hope that we can more easily now meet soon, and I would like that a lot.

solus

don’t ya just hate it when the olive branch is rejected due to ego/unrealistic misperception(s) of past actions etc.

Glad N/S Korean leaders didn’t engage in such petulant nonsense and met to see what the future might hold...

solus

Unrealistic? How so?

Not interested, unfortunately. The same old problems as ever persist, in addition to what I said above. As you know, MOC's board officially kicked me out for OCing, and blatantly, unofficially, for pointing out the urgent need to do something they later did for the same reasons I specified. The bridge was burned, and I can't personally rebuild it. I am disinterested in showing up either with or without a welcome to a MOC event, and even less so for an event that either already happened, or marks the decade anniversary of my crowning failure to make MOC into an on task and honest power house like AZCDL. If you see me at one, it will be for a police abuse case MOC has piggybacked onto, not for MOC in any way.

snipp....

so how do you Michigander rationalize turning down the most excellent opportunity afforded to you to attend the APRIL meeting with your post of past, real or perceived, remembrances as you espouse publically,
same old problems exist,
officially kicked out for unofficial reason(s)
bridges burned
'can't rebuild it'

as for your ego bravado
see above
I am not interested
if you see me at an advocacy gathering...

you are absolutely right Michigander with an attitude like that, you 'can't personally rebuild it' but to turn down an opportunity because you are still operating under an olde but-hurt ego of past, real or perceived, decades olde issues is your lost not MOC's now isn't it!

guess what Michigander...quit whining about mistreatment 10 years ago and get your bruised ego over it.

Michigander

I liked the people 10 years ago just fine. It was 2014 that the board officially kicked me out of the organization for open carry at a MOC event. That hasn't been undone, and yes, I can't personally undo that. If the board would like to undo that absurd gesture, I'd be fine with that. It that is done, I'll show up if I don't have to work, provided you aren't going to be there.

Ego driven would imply I have a particularly positive self image. I don't. My short threshold for nonsense should not be confused with a positive self image.