• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State firearm laws.

Flintlock

imported post

Schofield, it appears that you can take your guns to work (depending on where you work) as long as they are left in the car. Employers reserve the right to not admit guns in their stores for employees to carry but I have found nothing to substantiate them having authority to search your vehicle or prohibit you from having firearms in the vehicle. They may have an old and outdated employee handbook.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-20-gunlaws_N.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-20-gunlaws_N.htm

http://tk-o.com/tko/pdf/CCRev18.pdf

Schofield

imported post

I'm pretty damn sure I'm in the right here, it would just be useful to have something specific to cite. I wouldn't even be this worked up about it because it's my business what I have in my vehicle and it IS their property so I won't have a weapon while on the clock, obviously... But she made the absurd assumption someone is going to break into a vehicle, somehow find the concealed weapon... Suddenly decide to go on a rampage and come into the store shooting. And this is totally ignoring the fact that the business sells sharp axes on the rack that anyone can pick up and start hacking away... Oh, and the ballistically-driven .22 caliber nail guns... Yep.

Flintlock

imported post

Schofield wrote:
I'm pretty damn sure I'm in the right here, it would just be useful to have something specific to cite. I wouldn't even be this worked up about it because it's my business what I have in my vehicle and it IS their property so I won't have a weapon while on the clock, obviously... But she made the absurd assumption someone is going to break into a vehicle, somehow find the concealed weapon... Suddenly decide to go on a rampage and come into the store shooting. And this is totally ignoring the fact that the business sells sharp axes on the rack that anyone can pick up and start hacking away... Oh, and the ballistically-driven .22 caliber nail guns... Yep.
Schofield, out of trying to help you and for my own personal curiosity, I have been searching for related statutes since yesterday. I am not a lawyer, butI haven't been able to find anything that allows an employer (except perhaps federal employers) to search a vehicle even on their ownproperty.

They are allowed to restrict the possession of firearms on their premises to employees, but from what I have been able to find, they have no say on what you have stored in your vehicle. Alaska constitutional law is favorable to personal privacy. Employers may have you take a psychological evaluation, drug test you,and may fire you at will for just about any reason, but they can't search your vehicle and neither can the police without probably cause to a criminal act. Again, uless I am missing something, it may be worth a call to a lawyer to confirm...

www.enotes.com/jax/index.php/works/download/type=encyclopedia/notes=everyday-law-encyclopedia/id=privacy/

Alaska constitution:

§ 22. Right of Privacy

The right of the people to privacy is recognized and shall not be infringed. The legislature shall implement this section. [Amended 1972]

§ 14. Searches and Seizures

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses and other property, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated. No warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Flintlock

imported post

In case it is ever needed, here are the Alaska laws pertaining to recording conversations.

Alaska Stat. § 42.20.310: It is illegal in Alaska to use an eavesdropping device to hear or record a conversation without the consent of at least one party to that conversation, or to disclose or publish information that one knows, or should know, was illegally obtained. A person who is not a party to a private conversation who receives information from that conversation cannot legally divulge or publish the information. Alaska Stat. § 42.20.300.
The state's highest court has held that the eavesdropping statute clearly was intended to prohibit third-party interception of communications and is not applicable to a participant in a conversation. Palmer v. Alaska, 604 P.2d 1106 (Alaska 1979). Any violation of the eavesdropping laws is a misdemeanor subject to a fine of up to $1,000 and/or one year in jail, and suppression of the contents in court is the only civil penalty authorized. Alaska Stat. § 42.20.330.
The state hidden camera statute applies only to images that include nudity. A person who views or produces a picture of a nude or partially nude person without consent commits the crime of "indecent viewing or photography." Alaska Stat. § 11.61.123.

akhunter3

imported post

That whole pocket knife thing is rediculous. I wonder what type of legal standing that even has, seeing as so long as it is a 'regular pocket knife' it is not considered a weapon by the state? Wouldn't that be like saying your not allowed to wear socks at work?;)

EDIT- Does anyone know where I can find the verbage for OCing in a vehicle?

Jon

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

if its on company property and they have it in there policys that employee rigs are subject to search or what ever then its lagit. I would just park in a different lot. I used to do that at the shipyard, I would park outside the gate, the VP asked me one day why I did not park in the yard I told him I was not going to put my rig when they could go threw it, and it was none of there business what I kept in my vehicle and as long as it was outside that gate they couldnt touch it.