• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Storing Bullets

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
.....When my brother was nine, he was given 10 M1 .30 caliber carbine rounds by a friend. At my urging to prove they were real (I was five), he took one down to the basement and put it in a vice. Then he proceeded to bang on the base of the round. Well it went off and the bullet hit the concrete floor harmlessly. But the shell casing was ripped from the vice, and torn, and managed to cut the top 1/2 inch of my brother's right index finger off. The doctor just put it back on, bandaged him up, and sent him home. He got his picture in the Washington Post and Times Herald (as it was called back then) sitting at a table, holding his bandaged finger up, with nine live rounds standing up on the table in front of him.

By putting the round in the vice, it partially contained the pressure and caused the casing to burst semi-catastrophically, when the powder burned. Not a wise thing to do, but like you said he was a 10 year old boy.

It was still not like firing it from a gun.

I used to take 30-06 rounds and hit them in the middle of the casing, which would force the bullet out of the front of the casing, and then I would take out the powder and burn it in a variety of ways, again not the smartest thing to do, but I too was a 10 year old boy.

I did once lose the tip of my thumb, which was bandaged and healed back on, but that was another story.
Yep, I know this to be the case. By partially "trapping" the case, the resulting expression of the bullet would have had a little more power and the case itself tore as it escaped the vice. This was what struck his finger and cut it.

I used to load for .357 and .44 Magnum for years. Loading is an excellent tool for those who wish to learn more about the in's and out's of ammunition, ballistics, and bullet behavior. But in my opinion, you never stop learning because there will always be someone who knows more than yourself. The truly arrogant among us take the position of authority wrapped in the cloak of ignorance.

Gordie

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Wouldn't 500 to 1000 rounds of whatever cal in a locked metal ammo can be the same as a pipe bomb? Just curious.:question:
No, it would be more like a big string offirecrackers locked in an ammo can. You just can't get the containment needed for dramatic results from loose ammo, even when packed in an ammo can.

bobcat

imported post

Ammo storage:

Rule #1: Cool and Dry location.

Rule #2: Ammo cans and dessicant are your friends.

Rule #3: Heat and moisture are your enemies.

Rule #4: See Rules #1 and #2.

Ammo can be stored for DECADES and still be fully functional. I've shot milsurp decades old with success and my own handloads over ten years old with no problems.

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Wouldn't 500 to 1000 rounds of whatever cal in a locked metal ammo can be the same as a pipe bomb?  Just curious.:question:

The pipe bomb is created by the catastrophic rupture of the pipe acaused by the pressure build up from the gas created by the burning material (powder) in the pipe, sealed at both ends by caps.

An ammo can full of live rounds will not "re-create" a similar event for 2 reasons;

1. The integrity of the pipe bomb is much greater than is the ammo can. This greater integrity causes a greater build up of pressure, before catastrophic failure.

This makes the pipe bomb go boom and the ammo can go pffft.

2. Even more important than container integrity is the capability of a continuous burn. The continuous burn in the pipe bomb allows the rapid pressure buildup required for the catastrophic failure and accompaning boom. In the ammo can you would have 500 or 1000 little containers. No continuous burn and again no boom.

2a4all

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Trust me, gentlemen, I was not trying to be a smartass with my response about bullets. Of course I know the OP was asking about cartridges. My point was simply this.

We, as gun people and hopefully most are part of the gun culture, must always strive to use correct terminology as a matter of habit when talking about gun matters and paraphernalia. We want to do this because the uneducated who might read our postings or listen to use in conversation, sometimes pickup what they want to hear from us. It's good when we use correct terms and speak with some knowledge. So using terms like "assault weapon" or "assault rifle" when referring to a semi-auto rifle, or calling a magazine a clip or cartridges, bullets, just perpetuates myths and spreads misinformation.
We don't have any "assault rifles" or "assault weapons" in Virginia, but we do have:

Code of Virginia:
§ 18.2-308.2:2. Criminal history record information check required for the transfer of certain firearms.

G. For purposes of this section:

"Assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

Note that (the text of) this definition appears in other sections of the code.