• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

taser/stun guns

Seif5034

imported post

Do you need a permit?

Can it be concealed?

Age limit?

I saw on some other site that MS has no restrictions but I want a second opinion before I start totingone around with me.

JT

imported post

If I go to this site: http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/97/037/0001.htm

The law reads:
SEC. 97-37-1. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in Section 45-9-101, any person who carries, concealed in whole or in part, any bowie knife, dirk knife, butcher knife, switchblade knife, metallic knuckles, blackjack, slingshot, pistol, revolver, or any rifle with a barrel of less than sixteen (16) inches in length, or any shotgun with a barrel of less than eighteen (18) inches in length, machine gun or any fully automatic firearm or deadly weapon, or any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not it is accompanied by a firearm, or uses or attempts to use against another person any imitation firearm, shall upon conviction be punished as follows:

Section 45-9-101 at that sitereads:

SEC. 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

(1) (a) The Department of Public Safety is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed pistols or revolvers to persons qualified as provided in this section. Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of four (4) years from the date of issuance. Any person possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this section may carry a concealed pistol or concealed revolver.

(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.

If I go to the site provided by the Mississippi Supreme Court:

http://www.mssc.state.ms.us/mscode/mscode.html

The Section 97-37-1 reads the same but 45-9-101 reads:

45-9-101. License to carry stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver.

[align=justify][/align]

[align=justify](1) (a) The Department of Public Safety is authorized to issue licenses to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers to persons qualified as provided in this section. Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance. Any person possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this section may carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or concealed revolver. [/align]

[align=justify]b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.[/align]

[align=justify]It appears section 45-9-101 was changed in 2008 to include stun gus but 97-37-1 wasn't. Just another chapter in ambiguous Missississippi law. It apparently isn't a crime but you need a permit.[/align]

gunluvinatty

imported post

I am not sure I agree with JT and therefore respectfully dissent. It is not a crime in any statute I can find to carry a concealed stun gun (I researched this recently for an article I am writing) but a permit is available. However, if it isn't illegal to carry concealed, you are not required to get a permit. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. That is my opinion.

What is the "other site" you are referring to?

JT

imported post

gunluvinatty wrote:
I am not sure I agree with JT and therefore respectfully dissent. It is not a crime in any statute I can find to carry a concealed stun gun (I researched this recently for an article I am writing) but a permit is available. However, if it isn't illegal to carry concealed, you are not required to get a permit. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. That is my opinion.

What is the "other site" you are referring to?

I included the links toboth the sites I used. The second link is from the MS Supreme Court website and includes the language about stun guns. I agree that the criminal statute (97-37-1) doesn't list stun guns which is why I said "It apparently isn't a crime...". Sorry if it appeared I was saying otherwise.

The concealed weaponspermit statute (45-9-101) has been modified to include "stun guns" as an item requiring apermit carry concealed. It doesn't make sense but that is apparently the latest version of the 45-9-101.

gunluvinatty

imported post

JT wrote
I agree that the criminal statute (97-37-1) doesn't list stun guns which is why I said "It apparently isn't a crime...". Sorry if it appeared I was saying otherwise.

The concealed weaponspermit statute (45-9-101) has been modified to include "stun guns" as an item requiring apermit carry concealed. It doesn't make sense but that is apparently the latest version of the 45-9-101.
I think we agree on the fact that concealed carry of a stun gun is not a crime. Where we disagree, I believe, is that I don't think a permit is required. If it isn't a crime, you aren't required to get a permit. Personally I am of the opinion that if it isn't forbidden then I'm not going to ask for permission. To be on the safe side, some may elect to just get the permit.