• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unlawful Detention by Mercer Island Police

Temporary

imported post

jbone wrote:
Good God! If they are saying that every time you show up in the park or anywhere in their jurisdiction you will be profiled and harassed, is that not a civil liberties issue.

If a lady with unspeakable looking hairy moles on the face, a black man, an old man wearing a clown costume, or illegal alien was to suffer the same harassment and cuffing every time they were seen, what would that be called?

Is there a new LEO generation dedicated to the oppression of civil liberties.To the hell with your rights, I make the law from here-on-out. I don't give a rats ass with what State Law, State Constitution, or the US Constitution says; I make the Law bubby.

Does that pretty much sum of the Officers in you encounter?, not to mention the current reigning political party.
I would hope that an old man wearing a clown costume would be watched carefully. I would hope that an illegal alien would be detained, if by force or other wise, and deported by what ever means necessary--not necessarily to their home country; if not for the cost of "time," money, and cell space, I would also have that illegal alien arrested for a period of time (with no trial by jury, as that illegal alien does not qualify for any civil liberties).

5jeffro7

imported post

Mr. Mulhaney:

first, welcome to OCDO...you mention that you only signed up to comment on this incident, but by all means, stick around. I don't think I'm stepping out of bounds by saying that we're always in need of common sense on the board, & judging from your first posts, that is not a problem area for you.

I know I had a good phone conversation with the chief & the OP has also been corresponding with him via phone & email. AT THIS POINT, we're simply looking for the department to correct their shot-sightedness & move forward with the training bulletins..if, after the bulletins have been put in place & training done, it happens again, the chief is very well aware that the person will not hesitate to file the appropriate suits.

this avenue allows several things: :arrow: it shows that we're more interested in solving the problem than with lawsuits,which portrays us in a better light, not only with thechief, but with the courts (if needed at a later time) as well:arrow: it gives the department a chance to correct their errors and :arrow: in the event that it does happen to someone again, it gives even more leverage/chance of winning a lawsuitt at that time