• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Viral video: Judge William Adams beating the h*ll out of his daughter

georg jetson

SNIP
People with mental disabilities can have 'normal' children. Every generation in recent history trends towards a higher IQ than the previous. That alone indicates that intelligence doesn't come solely from intelligence, but has a large genetic and social factor.

This is NOT an example of intelligence NOT coming from intelligence. This is an an example of how intelligence is transferred and what can hinder that transfer. It is still originating from intelligence.

However, one could go much further than that, investigating genomes and seeing that its sequence length encodes more information now than in the past, largely due to mutations, double copy,[/ and [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_gene_transfer#Scientific_American_article_.282000.29]horizontal gene transfer. Obviously a large part of that lies in nonfunctional/noncoding DNA, but to imply that an intelligent process is necessary to beget further intelligence? Please, spare me. There is an undeniably huge body of work which shows that assertion to be just plain silly.

At least you've posted something that can be called science. However, it is another example of how intelligence is TRANSFERRED from other intelligence. Notice horizontal gene "transfer".

georg jetson

I did. I offered the right to ones own body as an answer to your question of what other rights children have. If a Child has a right to life, that child must also have a right to his/her own body. That is the quintessential answer as all other rights are derived from self-ownership.

A parents discipline need necessarily only keep a child from hurting him or herself or violating the rights of others. A child may want a tattoo, but a parent may believe that the child may think differently after the age of majority. So, the parent doesn't allow it and is keeping that child from harm. A child hit's another child so the parent disciplines him/her etc.

You're confusing issues again... I understand that it's difficult not to bring up the "what is proper discipline issue", but I'm trying to keep this focused on government involvement.

It's simple... the parent makes the decision on what happens to a child's body. That's no right of the child's. That's the parent's right.

However; when a parent takes out frustration on the child or beats them as the judge did in the video, it's far beyond what is necessary. Cruel and unusual punishment comes to mind. If you want to categorize, you can add that to the rights of children as well but it all stems from self-ownership.

I read that as a right of protection FROM the parent. Is that correct? What about a right of protection FROM the government?

A just government certainly precludes the exercise of certain rights, like liberty (throwing someone in jail), when they aren't exercised responsibly.

Which is why I mentioned the right of due process... a child has no such right if a parent want's to throw them in jail(read restrict their liberty).

Love is not part of the equation in my black and white analysis. I try to keep all emotions out and use liberty as my morality in discussions based on rights.

I was not speaking of the emotion. In many cases love demands a restraint of emotion.

So, I offered a difference in that Parents are allowed "prior restraint" over the rights of their children in most cases where government is not.

That makes no sense. The way I read this is...
A child has no right to their own body until the parent removes their "restraint".

I'm not sure if you consider yourself libertarian or not, but that's the thought process I'm using and if you are trying to use the same one you definitely jumped the shark. Libertarian morality does not necessitate "feelings" as a way to decide right from wrong. It also uses the non-aggression principle.

I find that my thoughts and ideas align most with the libertarian. I'm not trying to decide right from wrong. I'm trying to discuss the point at which family business becomes government business... if ever.

Tawnos

This is NOT an example of intelligence NOT coming from intelligence. This is an an example of how intelligence is transferred and what can hinder that transfer. It is still originating from intelligence.

At least you've posted something that can be called science. However, it is another example of how intelligence is TRANSFERRED from other intelligence. Notice horizontal gene "transfer".

FFS, if you're going to play with the modern form of the cosmological argument, you should at least look at that link I provided earlier before you make any more a fool of yourself.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I'm not confusing issues. I'll keep this short. Government was created to secure our rights, including those of children. If parents violate a child's rights in an egregious fashion, the government should take action to stop it. Securing rights is really their only purpose.

The only issue is where the line is drawn that the violation becomes bad enough for government intervention.

Think about the 8th amendment. In many ways, children aren't different from prisoners in which rights are disabled. We still protect prisoners from cruel and unusual punishment.

Badger Johnson

I'm not confusing issues. I'll keep this short. Government was created to secure our rights, including those of children. If parents violate a child's rights in an egregious fashion, the government should take action to stop it. Securing rights is really their only purpose.

The only issue is where the line is drawn that the violation becomes bad enough for government intervention.

Think about the 8th amendment. In many ways, children aren't different from prisoners in which rights are disabled. We still protect prisoners from cruel and unusual punishment.

The sad fact is, when high level people commit these crimes (and yes what this guy did was a crime, first degree assault and battery and some other stuff) they end up going free with a slap on the wrist or a complete cover-up. So gubmint fails us again.

Uh, i =used= to think we protected prisoners from cruel and unusual punishment. Not anymore.

In general your comments are valid.

MilProGuy

For the judge, I'd offer up a quote from Jesus Christ:

"It is better that a man have a millstone hanged around his neck and be cast into the depths of the sea, than to offend one of the least of these, my little ones."

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just to add a little fodder to the discussion, here is an update from the USA Today.

http://usat.ly/rQUVcj

The two things that stick out to are this.

1. The ex-wife calls the beatings an addiction and says she was brainwashed into compliance.

2. The daughter is expressing regret for releasing the video.

Can you be addicted to neating your family? Why do you think the daughter regrets her decision?

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Just to add a little fodder to the discussion, here is an update from the USA Today.

1. The ex-wife calls the beatings an addiction and says she was brainwashed into compliance.

Can you be addicted to neating your family? Why do you think the daughter regrets her decision?

The addiction is to control, as in control of another human being. It is either that or the beater is a masochist who gets sexual gratification out of inflicting pain. Most abused spouses are brainwashed into compliance by being made to think it is all somehow their fault.

The daughter is probably regretting all the publicity she, and her abuser, are now getting. There is also a distinct possibility that, although the statute of limitations has expired for criminal charges, the abuser may be removed from his office.

Bear in mind that I am not a psychiatrist (I'm not crazy enough:D), but am basing my comments on what doctors and social workers have told me over the years.

09jisaac

1. is bull, it is JUST AS MUCH the wife's (ex-wife's) fault this was happening. If you just stand by and allow something that you have the power to stop you are just as much to blame. And brainwashed? That is, in my opinion, bull too. She knew exactly what was happening, and that it wasn't right.

jammer

Check it out

Corporal punishment at home to minors is still allowed in the entire US and is actually approved, according to a survey in 2000. Corporal punishment in schools is still allowed in 20 states(all of the South and some parts of the SW, Central, and NW US).

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year_was_corporal_punishment_banned_in_the_US#ixzz1cgzZ24y1

MilProGuy

I finally brought myself to view the video of the filthy-mouthed father beating his child.

It was sickening.

It is beyond my comprehension why anyone would video-tape such a thing.

Badger Johnson

How anyone could videotape it? Dude, the daughter was beaten so many times she decided to set up the camera to catch him doing it.

And on the conundrum above, the Judge is a text-book sadomasochist. He has to humiliate the daughter and beat her BOTH. It's his addiction and secret shame. He's beaten the mother regularly too, and he derives some 'satisfaction' or something from it so has to do it regularly. He MUST use profanity - it's part of the addiction, part sadist and part Tourette's Syndrom (I suspect).

The key was the mother saying 'Take it like a GROWN Woman'. It tells me she is projecting and has been beaten by him and that's how she submits, figuring she can take it (the mother IS the grown woman to which she self-refers).

IMO.

Tawnos

Corporal punishment at home to minors is still allowed in the entire US and is actually approved, according to a survey in 2000. Corporal punishment in schools is still allowed in 20 states(all of the South and some parts of the SW, Central, and NW US).

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year_was_corporal_punishment_banned_in_the_US#ixzz1cgzZ24y1

Allowed doesn't make it right or the right choice. Additionally, merely being allowed doesn't mean there are no restrictions.

MilProGuy

Allowed doesn't make it right or the right choice. Additionally, merely being allowed doesn't mean there are no restrictions.

I agree.

What we saw and heard on this disturbing video goes way beyond what Wikipedia calls "corporal punishment".

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

ANYONE who beats a child is deranged, sick, sadistic, a sociopath and should be arrested for assault and battery when it's found out. Beyond three whacks with the hand when the parent is relatively calm, or a quick swat to keep a toddler from running in traffic, there is no excuse for it.

A child depends on society to see they are not abused. (it takes a village?). In old times children were considered property and a disposable resource and made to work in horrid conditions in factories. The death of a young child, particularly females, was seen as no big deal in some instances. We are presumably civilized now and this must not happen. A child can not defend themselves. All you who would beat people, come try and beat someone your own size who can fight back and see how quickly you wilt. You people who condone or beat children are COWARDS, period.

rodbender

Let me clarify... shouldn't tell anyone in GOVERNMENT. It's a family issue. The government has no business in family affairs in a free country. Also, keep in mind that child abuse is a complicated problem. The last thing we need is the government getting involved. It will make things worse... giving the government the power to define child abuse.

So...if someone was to whup on your ass for awhile, who would you tell? Mommy?

This judge needs to go to jail so Bubba can take care of his ass....literally.

MilProGuy

A child can not defend themselves.

All you who would beat people, come try and beat someone your own size who can fight back and see how quickly you wilt.

No, they cannot defend themselves. That's why we have laws against child abuse. A person who abuses a defenseless child is surely as offensive as a worker who abuses the a weakened and defenseless elderly woman in a nursing home.

Put the "judge" in a room with a man twice his size wielding a belt and see how he'd like that.

rodbender

No, they cannot defend themselves. That's why we have laws against child abuse. A person who abuses a defenseless child is surely as offensive as a worker who abuses the a weakened and defenseless elderly woman in a nursing home.

Put the "judge" in a room with a man twice his size wielding a belt and see how he'd like that.

I'm not twice his size and I'll let him start with the belt.

New development.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/03/texas-judge-caught-on-video-beating-daughter-needs-help/

This happened 7 years ago with a 5 year statute of limitation.

THAT SUCKS!!!