• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Welcome to Wyoming

F350

FIFY :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamie_Eisenhower

"Interstate 80 (I-80) is a transcontinental limited-access highway in the United States that runs from downtown San Francisco, California, to Teaneck, New Jersey, in the New York City Metropolitan Area. The highway was designated in 1956 as one of the original routes of the Interstate Highway System."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_80

Designated NOT DESIGNED/CONSTRUCTED; have head people in Wyoming called it the Snow-Chi-Minh trail during construction because it was built during the Viet Nam war.

Last edited by a moderator:

F350

first and foremost, i would believe the expressway was, in an effort to mitigate expense, build on existing right-a-ways at the time & coupled on known 'passible' wagon/stagecoach/railroad/horseless carriage routes, mimimally laid out per se., over the existing famous overland trail.

And you believe the federal government would take this approach?????:lol::lol::lol::lol: Have I got some prime farm land for you in Southern Florida.

As I said my information comes from a guy who researched the Wyoming part of the project for (I recall) 10 years. The section that goes past Elk Mountain was totally untraveled by anyone except cowboys, the guy giving the talk even pointed out I-80 goes past the grave of the original rancher who personally picked the spot to be as far away from anyone/thing as possible because nobody would ever go there. Like I said the early settlers called it the The Snowy Range for a reason.

Wstar425

http://www.uwyo.edu/robertshistory/evolution_of_roads_across_southe.htm

Here's a long winded read about the history of roads in southern Wyoming by the University. I can't attest to its accuracy, just a google search. Down a ways (24-30 footnote markers)it discusses the US 30/I-80 route selection process. I have not read the whole article, but looks like politics was involved!!!! No mention of Mimi nor Mamie Eisenhower picking the route, but a good story nevertheless.

The one upsmanship across the entire board lately is unneeded, and getting old fast. No cite on that, my opinion.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Down around marker 38 it mentions how US 30 is often open and dry while I-80 is closed by blizzard.

I can personally attest to being on US 30 trying to get around a blizzard on Elk and being in a blizzard anyhow. Several times. Local bull haulers are good resources to follow if your nerves will allow you to keep up with the pace while not seeing a blasted thing! At least you didn't have to worry about sliding backwards off the mountain.

Wstar425

By the way, much of US 212 around Belle is open range.
Cattle and livestock have the right of way. Hit a cow, you pay for it and the rancher keeps it and you pay auto repair. Not recommended to travel at night as cattle and bison like to lay down on the warm roads on cold nights. You don't see a bison at night until it is too late, many a truck has rolled over after a collision. Every company I've worked for has prohibited travel thru there, but went anyway as it saves a few miles.

Last edited: