• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went To A Talk About Self-Defense

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
The OP said that the LEO became patronizing towards a woman's question. There may not be any female officers in his unit- there aren't in my home town.

I'm generally in support of police, but it is not their job to provide personal protection to every single citizen of the U.S. In fact, beyond this officer's heavily implied sexism, he's also creating problems for the police who are all of a sudden transformed into bodyguards.
Sorry for my absense (spyware problems, and eye problems), but there is a lone female officer in that PD. This area, unfortunately is rather sexist, and so is this particular town.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Citizen wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Would a pointed letter to the editor, copy to the Chief be in order?

They really have no justification for the editorializing. If they want to talk about home security, lighting, fences, door locks, etc., fine. But its utter nonsense to discuss self-defense by saying, essentially, don't--call us instead.

What arrogant, elitist false information. "Oooooo. You're too stupid. In fact I'm so convinced you're too stupid that it doesn't even occur to me to try to educate you or tell you where to seek training. Nevermind that once upon a time, before I becamea thoroughly trained master, I knew nothing about it either and was in the same shoes as you. Being a cop, alone, means I was trainable. But obviously, you're not."

If it was all women,hammer the sexist angle. Better yet, find out whohis wife is, and just by coincidence bump into her at whatever social circles she travels in. See if she knows he has this attitude about women.
What??? Find out who his wife is? :uhoh:

Hahahahahahahaaa!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Seriously, when wasthe last time you were in Rockbridge County? Hahahahaaa!

The biggest town is about 7000 people--Lexington.

I don't think its going to take a major covert spying operation to find out who any given person's wife is. Just ask at the local store or restaurant. Everybody knows practically everybody else in these small communities. Anybody who has ever lived in oneknows this.

Its even money that she (packingdressagerider) already knows his wife or has a friend or social aquaintencewho knows her.

NOTHING will undo a sexist or elitist attitude faster than the guy's wife burning his breakfast a few times. Watch how quick he gets the idea thatwomen are not inferior. Cold shoulders in bed and being made to sleep on the couch make for good attitude adjusters, too.

Yes, sirree. Save numerous letters to the editor. Go straight to the person who has the REAL power and influence.

I'll bet those personal defense talks get real effective, real quick.

Now that I think about it, Packing may not have to lift a finger.There were other women in that class. If I know women and small towns, that cop's wife already knows all abouthow his little attitude errors cropped up in class. Knew about them by noon the next day, I'll bet.

ROFLMAO.

I'm sorry, Nitrovic. Nothing personal. Its too funny to me that someone would think that using common social networks in this way to solve a small-town minor problem would equate to a huge violation, or any violation, of personal security.

(chuckle)
In fact, I do know his wife.

nitrovic

imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
Kendo_Bunny wrote:
The OP said that the LEO became patronizing towards a woman's question. There may not be any female officers in his unit- there aren't in my home town.

I'm generally in support of police, but it is not their job to provide personal protection to every single citizen of the U.S. In fact, beyond this officer's heavily implied sexism, he's also creating problems for the police who are all of a sudden transformed into bodyguards.
Sorry for my absense (spyware problems, and eye problems), but there is a lone female officer in that PD. This area, unfortunately is rather sexist, and so is this particular town.

I don't think that having only one female officer makes a difference. It certainly doesn't make the officer who gave the presentation "sexist". The whole area and town are "sexist"? I've been to Lexington many times with my wife and didn't see any sexism.

I'm actually glad you came back. We were just having a discussion on how some members read a story and then simply make up their own version. Then others (the sheeps) jump in and expand on those lies.

Your initial post (the actual story before other posters took the story and put their own spin on it) didn't make mention of the officer making an anti-female remarks. Is that true?

mousegurl

So basically, Packing, what this officer said was that women are too stupid and weak to know how to use a gun for self defense?

At least, that's how I've heard Kendo_Bunny interpret the type of BS that guy was spouting, and she's good at examining things in a logical sense like that.

I'd file a complaint. ;)

My response would be to tell the officer that the only reason a significant number of women are alive today is because they were SMART enough to invest in firearms and training - and STRONG enough to use their firearms and training when some POS left them no other choice! I might even go so far as to add that it might not have come to that, had the officers where the self defense shootings took place been patrolling for violent criminals instead of running speed traps to generate revenue.

Some of the best people I've ever known are/were cops. Too bad their whole profession can be made to look bad at the hands of a few bad apples.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My response would be to tell the officer that the only reason a significant number of women are alive today is because they were SMART enough to invest in firearms and training - and STRONG enough to use their firearms and training when some POS left them no other choice! I might even go so far as to add that it might not have come to that, had the officers where the self defense shootings took place been patrolling for violent criminals instead of running speed traps to generate revenue.

Some of the best people I've ever known are/were cops. Too bad their whole profession can be made to look bad at the hands of a few bad apples.

Hey Mousegurl forgot to tell you welcome to OCDO last time.

Did you notice the date of the last post before yours? It was back in 2008.
Unless there is a strong reason to resurrect a dead thread, we generally comment on a current/active thread or start a new one - whichever works best.

I don't mean to make it look like I'm picking on you as I am not. Just offering a helpful hint.
icon7.png

mousegurl

Sorry, my bad. I just got here and started searching subjects of interest without any regard for the dates.

I'll try to stay more current.

user

Accomplished Advocate
In summary: Police can only act once a crime is occurring or has already been committed. They cannot be held liable for failure to arrive in time to save any particular individual from harm, so long as they aren't someone who has a special relationship with the police, like a protected witness. Indeed, it's_extremely_unlikely that police officers will be able to arrive and_save_you from harm faster than
an attacker can harm you. There aren't, and there ought not to be, sufficient police to act as personal bodyguards for every citizen, 24 hours a day, and any guarantee to that effect would be extremely expensive in terms of both money and liberty. [/size][/color][/font]

Absolutely right. The cop's job is to protect the sovereign dignity of the state, not any particular citizen. A cop with a professional attitude will do just that, protect the interests of the state, and in so doing, try to figure out whether or not you're a "bad guy", regardless of your situation or how you feel about it. However, most cops receive almost no training in the use of firearms, don't particularly like guns, and don't practice. But if the citizenry is disarmed, it makes them feel safer, and with more crime, there will be better job security for cops. Since it isn't their job to protect us, but to apprehend criminals, whether or not we are protected is at best secondary in their thinking.

I wish OP had been a "smart alec", and had stood up and asked the lecturer, "So you figure that we're just a bunch of silly girls who shouldn't touch the big strong man's firearms, eh?"