• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

decklin

This actually was during the last weekend of January. I was at Walmart with the Wife looking at Vaccum filters when someone walking by asked us if we ever have problems with OC. Turns out he was CC. I explained how most people either don't seem to notice or just don't care. We spoke for a couple more minutes before he asked what we were carrying (he had a Para 1911) then left. It was a pretty good encounter.
Over this past weekend I OC'd to the Bonney Lake Home Depot, South Hill Walmart and around the yard clearing up the last of the storm debris.

Last edited:

decklin

I forgot to mention that on Friday a buddy and I went to Wendy's in Lakewood. (both OC)
When I was getting my soda two female employees opened the kitchen door next to me and asked, "Is that real?"
I told them yes, they started giggling and then closed the door. First time I had that reaction.

sudden valley gunner

This actually was during the last weekend of January. I was at Walmart with the Wife looking at Vaccum filters when someone walking by asked us if we ever have problems with OC. Turns out he was CC. I explained how most people either don't seem to notice or just don't care. We spoke for a couple more minutes before he asked what we were carrying (he had a Para 1911) then left. It was a pretty good encounter.
Over this past weekend I OC'd to the Bonney Lake Home Depot, South Hill Walmart and around the yard clearing up the last of the storm debris.

I have a new take on the people don't notice thing. They do, but if your manner of carry is calm and confident they quickly assess you as not dangerous.

Why I say they do is that for the last few months everywhere I go my wife or nephew has been with me and they are constantly telling me about how others are looking at my gun "after I pass".

This is not to say that all notice but a large amount of those we think don't notice do they are just subtle about their observations.

decklin

Tech, that was pretty funny.
SVG, that makes sense.
Today I met up with the wife for lunch at Pick-Quick in Auburn. First time going there and it was great!
It was beautiful today so I was on the motorcycle and decided to swing by Hinshaw's Motorcycle Store on West Valley. The guy at the door stopped me and said I had to put my firearm in my car.
I told him I rode a bike.
He then went on to talk about how it was Hinshaw's policy not to OC. He said something about brandishing and causing problems but they were all 2nd Amendment supporters. He then told me I could stick it in my pants.
What!?
I asked him if he knew this was an OC state to which he replied yes. I told him brandishing was not in any of the laws and that I had been using Hinshaw's exclusively for a year and a half. (I am always armed and have been for the last 7 years.)
He said he wasn't going to discuss law.
So I left. I know you guys are going to say I should have asked to see the policy and speak to a manager. That is exactly what I was thinking to myself as I rode away.
Went to Tacoma Boys in Puyallup and again they were fine.
When I got home I called Hinshaw's Motorcycle Store and asked to speak to a manager and ended up talking to someone named Mike.
I explained the situation to him and he put me on hold so he could check the policy. He was unable to find anything so he asked the others employees if they knew anything about it. They all said they didn't think there was any such policy. Mike then asked the door man where he had heard about the policy and he said he had just heard it somewhere.
Mike got back on the phone and told me I was welcome in their store and apologized to me. He asked me to say hi the next time I came in.
Except for the hiccup at Hinshaw's today was a good day to carry! Now off to Petsmart for a vet appointment.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Tacoma Greyhound Office

My step-son was leaving for Job Corps and we were standing around with the other families in the lobby at the Greyhound Station in Tacoma. While waiting for the bus with my step-son, I was approached and asked to leave. The manager(?) said "he didn't care if I was a off-duty cop or just a guy, you have to leave." I asked if this was a written policy and could I have a copy. He walked me over to a sign on the wall. I leaned in to start reading it and he told me I had 20 seconds to read it making a big scene the whole time.

The bus station is part of the Pierce Transit park and ride building so once outside of his area I stood on the Pierce Transit property line. The manager actually went up to my step-son and asked if "he was packing?" Then told his mom "The world is not that scary of a place..."

If I had more dealings with Greyhound I would pursue the matter more. I looked over their website and the complaint section is full of issues and would do no good to even write them.

WinchesterModel12

Went to Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, Jack Robert's Appliance, Albert Lee Appliance and back to Lowes. OC the whole time and nothing said at all.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Getting my first cup of coffee today and what do I see?
aefddb1d-a880-ff49.jpg

A curious look by the officer but nothing else. And the Starbucks cashier didn't even flinch when I presented a $2 bill.

jt59

Getting my first cup of coffee today and what do I see?
aefddb1d-a880-ff49.jpg

A curious look by the officer but nothing else. And the Starbucks cashier didn't even flinch when I presented a $2 bill.

Me too, but in Tacoma...I got involved in a teleconference for about 45 minutes in the parking lot. The Tacoma officers were there when I arrived and still there when I left.

Maybe they are on "yellow" alert for the protest and manning the store? No sign wavers though....oh, I forgot, they are boycotting, so they wouldn't be there anyway.....:lol:

briehl12

I drove by several local Starbucks yesterday and saw no protesters. I did stop into a couple of them one on 15th st in Auburn, and on in Auburn /Algona area. O/c the whole day no problems, and no one said anything st Starbucks. I did express my gratitude both times. I guess these Anti's really are not protesting.... Either way, I will carry on!!!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Jiffy Lube in Kent

Too lazy to change my own oil....

Grease Monkey asked what I was carrying and informed me he carried a Smith in .40. There was another couple in the waiting area as well, a mixed couple. Everyone was very nice and polite, but the prices were way too much. Back to doing my own oil.

jt59

Wells Fargo - South Hill
Wells Fargo - University Place
BOA- South Tacoma Way
Sushi Revolution - S Tacoma Mall Blvd

Sea-Tac to pick up some folks with my wife.....got cased pretty well by a couple of TSA wonks, but they didn't seem to know what was wrong (nothing)....Cop on a bike inside rode by us in Starbucks, said nil.

Cabella's

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Browns Point Liquor Store....

A few weeks back Deros and I stopped by the private Browns Point Liquor Store on a Friday or Saturday night. The owner (Eric) was off and his daughter was behind the counter. As we approached the register she leaned in to ask us about our firearms. I thought that she would ask us what kind, as I have spoken to her dad many times about firearms, open carry, Eric's firearm, etc... but not tonight. She asked us to not carry in her store. I as shocked. You see Eric brings his grand kids to the WAC gun show. Eric's wife and other kids have openly talked about carry and firearms. I asked if she wanted our business. She had our bottle rung up and was ready to take our money. But she fervently insisted that we not carry in 'her' store. We tried to have a dialogue about how many citizens carry and she has no idea because they CC, but she wasn't interested. Deros tried to ask her why she thought she had a right to protect herself with the .45 behind the counter and we didn't? This shocked her a bit that we knew that there was a firearm behind the counter. Again, she insisted that we not carry in 'her' store.

At this point, I told Deros let's go up to the other liquor store in Twin Lakes. Mind you it is a good 15 minutes up and 15 minutes back. But I felt it needed to be done, so we left. We went up to the other store and spent $45+ and saved the receipt.

A few days later we came back when Eric was working to ask him if he wanted our business. He apologized for his daughter (i.e. black sheep) and compensated us for our embarrassment. He talked with his daughter and let us know we are welcome in the store.

I have shopped at this location for 3 years without incident and I often drive by other Liquor Stores to shop with Eric. I have attempted to support small local businesses in my endeavors the last few years and will continue to do so with Eric.