• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING NEWS: At Least 10 Dead, 20 Hurt in Aurora Colorado Shooting Spree

RockyMtnScotsman

Each and every one of us should contact Hollywood Theaters right now! You can send them an e-mail or fill out an online form. It'll take you five minutes to let them know why Gun Control Laws and No Firearms Signs DON'T WORK.

rather see the families of each and every victim in Aurora file suit against Cinemark for wrongful death. by prohibiting patrons from legally carrying their arms, they prohibit them from acting in their own self defense. as such, Cinemark assumes responsibility for the care and safety of their patrons. They didn't do so well last night .... and they are liable in civil court - BIG TIME.

Last edited:

Beau

I went to this theater last week to watch The Avengers before they stopped running it. I almost left my firearm in the car because I was not dressed to fully conceal. I wasn't positive but I assumed they probably had a sign somewhere prohibiting firearms. Even though the thought crossed my mind that it was a movie theater and I probably didn't really need to be armed I decided that I would take my chances and went in to watch the movie armed.

I can't help but wonder if that theater does in fact have "no guns" signs posted. The reason I wonder this is because I am shocked that no one there was armed and able to make an attempt to put a stop to this murderer. I have to wonder if the person that could have stopped this was unarmed due to a gun buster sign on the door. Maybe they thought it was illegal to carry past such a sign as some here have suggested. Maybe they thought it was illegal to carry in a place that charges for admission. That was stated as fact by a person responding to a news blog.

My heart breaks for those affected by this tragedy. I wish there was something we could do for them. What can one really do for them though? I mean if you had lost a loved one what could anyone possibly do to make you feel better. I guess the best we can hope for at this point is that this murderer is found mentally stable to stand trial.

LoneEchoWolf

I went to this theater last week to watch The Avengers before they stopped running it. I almost left my firearm in the car because I was not dressed to fully conceal. I wasn't positive but I assumed they probably had a sign somewhere prohibiting firearms. Even though the thought crossed my mind that it was a movie theater and I probably didn't really need to be armed I decided that I would take my chances and went in to watch the movie armed.

I can't help but wonder if that theater does in fact have "no guns" signs posted. The reason I wonder this is because I am shocked that no one there was armed and able to make an attempt to put a stop to this murderer. I have to wonder if the person that could have stopped this was unarmed due to a gun buster sign on the door. Maybe they thought it was illegal to carry past such a sign as some here have suggested. Maybe they thought it was illegal to carry in a place that charges for admission. That was stated as fact by a person responding to a news blog.

My heart breaks for those affected by this tragedy. I wish there was something we could do for them. What can one really do for them though? I mean if you had lost a loved one what could anyone possibly do to make you feel better. I guess the best we can hope for at this point is that this murderer is found mentally stable to stand trial.

If I'm not mistaken at least last time i was there, they did indeed have no weapon signs up. and being a private property they do have that right. just as you do on your property. they may have taken them down or something but to my knowledge they do.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Theater employees searched patrons' bags and purses while taking their tickets..."

Article.

Not my stuff. And yes, I watched the movie tonight, without hassle, and while well-armed against any copycat lunatics.

Although long, it was a very good movie with a great ending. I highly recommend it.

Scotsman

This is horrendous. I heard about this upon my return from Texas yesterday. My heart breaks for the victims and their families. My heart breaks for the lack of humanity in our society that results in events such as this. People we are witness to the End Times. Make sure those whom you love know that you love them every day because we never know when it will be our last day on this planet.

This tragedy happened less than 5 minutes from my house and I am just horrified. May God bless the souls lost in this senseless act of violence. Amen....

ColoradoFlyer

First, my thoughts and prayers are with those that were injured and killed. The grieving process will be lengthy and I suspect that as the time continues to tick, we will find out more but this appears to be very calculated and deliberate and as many have said before me, there are no restrictions or laws that can prevent a lunatic from enraging the community with this type of action. A couple of observations that may be considered rude so I will apologize upfront but they are just observations:
1. Out of 70 people that were shot, there were only 12 fatalities. Obviously he was not a very good shot or it shows that our natural instinct to duck and cover in this type of situation is natural and probably avoided more casualties.
2. I will not speculate what I would do if I was carrying in this situation. As mentioned, our immediate reaction is likely to duck and cover like many of those that were there did. Without specific training, I am not sure my 15 round 357 Sig would have been able to stop this perp and as outfitted, he was well prepared for battle.
3. Any reference to increased gun control is a false sense of security. I did see one count of someone speaking specifically to this situation and he suggested that maybe more liberal rules would allow people to carry and protect themselves, however a full blown gun battle would have likely led to more bullets flying and potentially more people being hit.

This was obviously a isolated incident and as Chief Oates has reiterated, all of the weapons and ammo was purchased legally, and he did not want to speculate that more laws would have prevented this massacre. With all of this being said, I have a continued resolve to OC at all times possible and I will avoid those businesses and situations that do not respect my ability to protect myself and those that I love.
I respect each and every one of you and your opinions and hope that you continue to be safe and endeavor to move our cause in a positive light and with respect to those that may disagree with our right to carry in order to protect ourselves and others. As someone else pointed out, the police are her to protect us and even though they were there in 2 minutes or so, they were unable to prevent a significant loss of life, and I hope that I would react in a manner to limit this in the same situation.

Godspeed to all,

PikesPeakMtnMan

SNIP
1. Out of 70 people that were shot, there were only 12 fatalities. Obviously he was not a very good shot or it shows that our natural instinct to duck and cover in this type of situation is natural and probably avoided more casualties.
Godspeed to all,

From what I've been hearing he wasn't exactly aiming, and instead just shooting indiscriminately. I heard that he fired his shotgun up toward the top row of the theater.

I posted on my Facebook some of my reactions to this as a gun owner. Basically I made it clear to my family and friends that if I'm faced with a similar situation then I am going to respond to the attacker, to the best of my abilities and I lose my life in the process then so be it...hopefully I help save a few lives in the process. This decision comes a bit easier for me since January when I was nearly crushed to death in a work accident. In the split-second that I was being pinned to the ground I prepared myself for death and realized that I was okay with dying right then and there if I did. KNowing ahead of time that I can die without regrets sure takes a burden off....

M-Taliesin

This is a time to give kindness to those that have lost and must grieve, may God’s blessings be with you. Ours is to be vigilant as sheepdogs amongst the sheep to always protect those that cannot or will not, for there will always be wolves. From North Carolina we stand with you.

Howdy Caddy!
As a citizen of Colorado, and a resident of Aurora, thank you for your kind words. They are most appreciated, and certainly welcome.
Yes, there will always be wolves, which is why there must always be folks willing to stand against them.
I am very pleased to see this message of empathy and respect from North Carolina!
We welcome you, and thank you again.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
This is horrendous. I heard about this upon my return from Texas yesterday. My heart breaks for the victims and their families. My heart breaks for the lack of humanity in our society that results in events such as this. People we are witness to the End Times. Make sure those whom you love know that you love them every day because we never know when it will be our last day on this planet.

This tragedy happened less than 5 minutes from my house and I am just horrified. May God bless the souls lost in this senseless act of violence. Amen....

My hear breaks for the rampant idiocy running throughout our society that writes unwritten rules about how being armed is "not cool."

Being dead isn't cool. Being armed is simply smart. If I have to make a choice between being alive and being "not cool," I choose life.

mobiushky

Can we all try to remember something. Body armor is not some invisible energy field that magically deflects bullets and leaves the wearer completely unaffected. In a lot of cases, the person is going to suffer a broken rib or bone of some kind. If you shoot a vest, the person in it is going to feel it somehow. They are there to keep you alive instead of dead. Not completely unscathed. So shooting this guy even armored would have had some affect. Especially considering that he probably had little or no experience with his armor.

I'm not arguing that anyone could have stopped him. Just saying the "Oh he had body armor so he couldn't be stopped" line is a bit over stated. Shoot someone like that 10-15 times in the chest, odds are you are going to break a couple ribs and put him in a world of hurt. even if you don't kill him.

Bellum_Intus

Can we all try to remember something. Body armor is not some invisible energy field that magically deflects bullets and leaves the wearer completely unaffected. In a lot of cases, the person is going to suffer a broken rib or bone of some kind. If you shoot a vest, the person in it is going to feel it somehow. They are there to keep you alive instead of dead. Not completely unscathed. So shooting this guy even armored would have had some affect. Especially considering that he probably had little or no experience with his armor.

I'm not arguing that anyone could have stopped him. Just saying the "Oh he had body armor so he couldn't be stopped" line is a bit over stated. Shoot someone like that 10-15 times in the chest, odds are you are going to break a couple ribs and put him in a world of hurt. even if you don't kill him.

You are correct..

2 rounds to center mass and one to head would have stopped him.. Get hit by a bullet, Armor or not, you will go down, at least long enough to disarm him..

Having said that.. if one does not have the training to pull it off.. it may not go down so well.. BUT.. at least you don't just die in place.. Just like the heroes of flight 93.. they went down swinging.. hell yeah..

--Rob

M-Taliesin

Just saying the "Oh he had body armor so he couldn't be stopped" line is a bit over stated.

Howdy Mobi!
Among the tools we use in the field, one of the first a new agent wants to get his hands upon, is the tactical bullet resistant vest.

The key word in that phrase.... resistant.

There ain't really any actual "bullet proof" vest.

The facts are not known what sort of vest he carried. Was it level 1? Level 2? Level 3? 3A? What?
Even if rated to stop bullets from SWAT rifles, incoming fire won't prevent damage, just bullet penetration.
But there are more factors to consider.
How old was the vest? There is a reason why LEO's will buy a new vest every 5 years. The stuff breaks down over time.
How effective does it remain after multiple round impacts?
All things considered, I'll wager that gas mask wasn't bullet resistant.
Anybody note that this person came from California? A state where similarly armored thugs fought off police after a bank robbery in a shoot-out wherein hundreds of rounds were fired at the bad guys and many police were injured? A spectacle that still draws viewers on television today.
Was the shooter's motive a perverse instant celebrity?

Body armor does not render the wearer invincible. Incoming rounds still can do damage, such as broken ribs and possible internal damage.
The only reason this jerk broke off his attack is because his AR-15 jammed. Otherwise, the number of injured or dead would have been much worse.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

The only reason this jerk broke off his attack is because his AR-15 jammed. Otherwise, the number of injured or dead would have been much worse.

POS.

Shoot someone like that 10-15 times in the chest, odds are you are going to break a couple ribs and put him in a world of hurt. even if you don't kill him.

Good point, but that's if you have 10-15 rounds. My largest mag is 17 rounds in my 9mm. My carry weapon is my .357 as it has more stopping power and I am a better shot with it. But the point that someone inexperienced is not going to react well to a couple of instant broken ribs is one for consideration.

Bellum_Intus

POS.

Good point, but that's if you have 10-15 rounds. My largest mag is 17 rounds in my 9mm. My carry weapon is my .357 as it has more stopping power and I am a better shot with it. But the point that someone inexperienced is not going to react well to a couple of instant broken ribs is one for consideration.

KingofBattle video'd me today demonstrating a defensive shoot.. I'll post it when he sends it to me.. After you see it, tell me bad guy would get up :p
I do this training all the time and it even shocked me when I saw how friggin fast I put 10 rounds on target. I have never video'd it so..

But that's the point I suppose, a trained defensive shooter may have been able to affect the situation, I'd argue that random CHP holder with a hunter safety card may not have been successful..

Also, really depends on where you were when the shooting started.. remember it's dark .. gas filled and full of people trying to escape..

anyway.. I'll post the video when I get it.

=)

--Rob

hammer6

rather see the families of each and every victim in Aurora file suit against Cinemark for wrongful death. by prohibiting patrons from legally carrying their arms, they prohibit them from acting in their own self defense. as such, Cinemark assumes responsibility for the care and safety of their patrons. They didn't do so well last night .... and they are liable in civil court - BIG TIME.

i was telling my buddy the same thing- each and everyone one of those people who attended a movie that night should sue their pants off. not just those who died or were shot, but those who had to suffer the traumatic experience of having their life a moment away from death...

gotta figure at least 200 per theater? maybe more? times how many were showing movies = a lot of $$$ in lawsuits...

M-Taliesin

But that's the point I suppose, a trained defensive shooter may have been able to affect the situation, I'd argue that random CHP holder with a hunter safety card may not have been successful..

Howdy Amigo!
When not a round of return fire came his way, whether anybody might have been successful cannot be known.
One thing is absolutely certain. If nobody tries, there is absolutely no hope of success.

In my humble opinion:
People died, not so much because the bad guy had guns,
than because the good guys did not.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

Howdy Amigo!
When not a round of return fire came his way, whether anybody might have been successful cannot be known.
One thing is absolutely certain. If nobody tries, there is absolutely no hope of success.

In my humble opinion:
People died, not so much because the bad guy had guns,
than because the good guys did not.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Agreed, at least it would have provided a distraction allowing others to escape if nothing else.

--Rob

Scotsman

My hear breaks for the rampant idiocy running throughout our society that writes unwritten rules about how being armed is "not cool."

Being dead isn't cool. Being armed is simply smart. If I have to make a choice between being alive and being "not cool," I choose life.

Agree 110%! One cannot merely be vigilant. You have to be labeled as "paranoid" or "extreme". I don't care what anyone thinks about my vigilance...they will instantly be my best friend when the SHTF!

O2HeN2

Hollywood Theater's new policy...

...since the policy worked SO well for Cinemark...

These are taken at the Hollywood Theater, Interquest Parkway in Colorado Springs:

hollywood_gfz0.jpg

hollywood_gfz1.jpg

A couple takeaways to understand the antis:
  • No amount of training is enough to make you a good guy.
  • No background check is good enough to make you a good guy.
  • There is no difference between a law-abiding gun owner and a deranged murderer.
  • And of course, to complete the lack of logic, it's safe to assume that a deranged murderer will go elsewhere when they see the sign.

It absolutely boggles my mind that a company would take the exact same position as another that had suffered such a devastating act and think it's the right thing to do.

Hollywood Theater Interquest Parkway
11250 Rampart Hill View
Colorado Springs, CO 80916
Phone: (719) 434-3848

Hollywood Theaters
919 SW Taylor
Portland, OR 97205
Phone: (503) 221-7090
Fax: (503) 796-0229

O2

Last edited: