• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING NEWS: At Least 10 Dead, 20 Hurt in Aurora Colorado Shooting Spree

mahkagari

Just FYI, I just got of the phone with Hollywood Theaters in Colorado Springs (off I-25) and they are putting up No Firearms signs.
Yeah, 'cause they did SO much good here.

Don't think some people/theaters are ever going to realise that signs don't stop violence, it just takes away any protection for law abiding citizens.

Well, when push comes to shove, they also have "no outside food or drink signs". It's rare enough that I just don't wait for the DVD as it is.

Zakaris

Just FYI, I just got of the phone with Hollywood Theaters in Colorado Springs (off I-25) and they are putting up No Firearms signs. Guess I'm done with theaters then.

Don't think some people/theaters are ever going to realise that signs don't stop violence, it just takes away any protection for law abiding citizens.

I sent this email to thier main office. I'm not the best wordsmith but this kneejerk, uneffective action just got to me. the comment about the majority of opencarry.org I figured wasn't a lie since half of you don't live close enough to go even if you don't agree with a boycot :)

* *I am very, very disappointed in The Hollywood Theater here in Colorado Springs in adopting a No Firearm policy. As just displayed in Aurora, signs do not stop people intent on doing harm. All it does is remove a chance of a law abiding citizen from defending themselves and others if the worst happens.*

* *Hollywood Theaters was the only theater I went to because they allowed my constitutional (both state and federal) right to carry and protect myself. Until this policy is repealed, they will not be receiving any of my business, and, most likely, a majority of the business of the Colorado members of Opencarry.org.

mahkagari

I sent this email to thier main office. I'm not the best wordsmith but this kneejerk, uneffective action just got to me. the comment about the majority of opencarry.org I figured wasn't a lie since half of you don't live close enough to go even if you don't agree with a boycot :)

Actually, well said.

Marcus Williams

I really wish more people carried I'm a firm believer that criminals would have 2nd thoughts if more people were armed but criminals know that they have the advantage. I have the right to protect myself and I abide by private property signs not taking my weapon into places, but a sign is not going to stop a lunatic :(

LoneEchoWolf

I really wish more people carried I'm a firm believer that criminals would have 2nd thoughts if more people were armed but criminals know that they have the advantage. I have the right to protect myself and I abide by private property signs not taking my weapon into places, but a sign is not going to stop a lunatic :(

There no weapon signs sure stopped this lunatic. The theater and company that owns said theater is anti weapons CC or OC. This is just horrable, what gets me is armed or unarmed not one person tried to stop this freak. police were on scene in a minute and 30 seconds police station a block or so away as the saying goes "police are only minutes away" 71 people were injured 12 of the 71 killed in that minute and 30 seconds.

skopro

There no weapon signs sure stopped this lunatic. The theater and company that owns said theater is anti weapons CC or OC. This is just horrable, what gets me is armed or unarmed not one person tried to stop this freak. police were on scene in a minute and 30 seconds police station a block or so away as the saying goes "police are only minutes away" 71 people were injured 12 of the 71 killed in that minute and 30 seconds.

The Police station is very close. Since i work at the mall i go to that movie theater alot, whats surprising is that theres always a officer everytime i go, i'm trying to figure out
if he was there why he didn't do anything. Maybe he wasn't there,but the question would be why not? its an opening of a highly anticipated film and there will be lots of people there.
I know they're doing a trace on how the weapons were obtained; wouldn't surprise me if they came from "fast and furious" and even if they did doubt we'll hear about it.

LoneEchoWolf

The Police station is very close. Since i work at the mall i go to that movie theater alot, whats surprising is that theres always a officer everytime i go, i'm trying to figure out
if he was there why he didn't do anything. Maybe he wasn't there,but the question would be why not? its an opening of a highly anticipated film and there will be lots of people there.
I know they're doing a trace on how the weapons were obtained; wouldn't surprise me if they came from "fast and furious" and even if they did doubt we'll hear about it.

As far as ive heard thus far he legally bought them from weapon stores with corprate ties in the general area, he has no criminal history and could have walked in and bought them in any city in any state. but thats just what there saying, they can say whatever they want. Hes just a sick person who we are going to be paying to house in prison for the next 60 or more years.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The next time someone says, "There's no reason to carry a firearm -- the police will protect you," tell them about today's shooting. Police arrived in just 90 seconds, after 71 people had been shot and 12 killed.

I used to waffle about whether or not to carry at a movie theater. Never again! I'll ALWAYS carry at a movie theater. If the movie theater refuses to allow me to protect myself and my family against criminally insane people like James Holmes (Aurora), Cho (Virginia Tech), and Jared (Giffords and crowd), they can just eat my empty seat cushion.

Another good link.

...he has no criminal history and could have walked in and bought them in any city in any state...

This is why gun control laws DON'T WORK.

Last edited:

Dilligad316

I had the same thought but this particular psychonutjob prepared himself with armor.

Listening to the new conference at lunch time not only was he wearing body armor but was also wearing leg, arm, and throat armor along with a tactical helmet and gas mask. Sounds like he went in anticipating being fired back at.

That being said i read an article lastnight about "does your family know what to do if you have to use your OC or CC to protect your self." But that is another thread I will start soon.

SovereignAxe

I had the same thought but this particular psychonutjob prepared himself with armor.
I think 5.45mm at close range would have defeated armor quite easily (assuming the muzzle velocity isn't impaired too much by the pistol length barrel)

Somebody in the front row could have taken out his legs or at least distracted him.

For that matter. Why didn't anyone bother to rush the guy? Sure you'll get shot. But if I rush the guy and take a bullet in the process maybe I take him down long enough to get him out of the moment and someone else is man enough to come with me. Why are we such sheep?

There's a condition or syndrome for crowds that has a name that escapes me, but I see it all the time at work. I answer the phones for a hospital and our office is adjacent to the ER waiting room. I've found that when we ring the ER waiting room phone, the more people in the room the less likely someone is going to answer it.

I think the same condition applies to this situation. And then it's compounded by fear and the fog of war. I think everyone went into "flight" from flight or fight and by the time anyone realized that going for the exits was suicide, and that it was time to switch to "fight," it was all over.

This guy was heavily armed, Shotgun and a rifle on his back, from what i saw of the outside video on the news what looked like a Police riot shield they were flagging as evidence but i don't know if that was theres or his. What my huge question is, is he entered through an emergency exit is what there saying, you know the ones with fire alarms on them, One news place said someone let him in, did they know this was going to happen? are we looking for someone else helping the guy? or did he hear him knock on the exit and opened it for him? brings me back to why didn't the fire alarm on the door go off? Seems if that would have happened maybe more people would have got out, or maybe that did happen it just added to the confusion. regardless i really wish some legal sidearm Carrier was there to at least distract or slow the guy down so the kids could have got out. i would have gladly gave my life so that 3 month old could live. such a sad situation.

One of the theaters I go to the theater exit is actually commonly used after the movie, and isn't just an emergency exit. They might be the same way.

LoneEchoWolf

One of the theaters I go to the theater exit is actually commonly used after the movie, and isn't just an emergency exit. They might be the same way.

Ah very good point, i assume there the same way then. i just figured it was the same as most Ive seen where they have the fire push bar and alarm. although i got to thinking that thats the only way no one could have noticed him before anything happened. This is rough one crazy man ruining so many lives in such a short amount of time for what seems to be no reason. its a bit hard to grasp. Prayers go out to the family's, friends, victims, and anyone else touched by this event. Stay safe out there guys as always!

SovereignAxe

What's weird though is that I'm 90% sure that even the ones that act as a normal exit are locked to the outside. So either I'm wrong or the door had to be propped open before the movie.

PikesPeakMtnMan

The reports now are that he purchased a ticket, sat down to watch the previews then went out the emergency exit, propping it open behind him then suiting up and returning to the theater...

That he propped the door open would make sense because all the theater doors that open to the outside from the auditorium itself usually don't even have handles on the outside...likely to prevent people from sneaking in without buying a ticket

LoneEchoWolf

That he propped the door open would make sense because all the theater doors that open to the outside from the auditorium itself usually don't even have handles on the outside...likely to prevent people from sneaking in without buying a ticket

Right thats along the same lines i was thinking also, which would make more sence if he was inside then left and returned through the same door. This is so wrong its makeing me sick. One of my good friends was there and was injured has lived in colorado all his life, Prayers go out to all the familys and friends effected by all of this.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Just FYI, I just got of the phone with Hollywood Theaters in Colorado Springs (off I-25) and they are putting up No Firearms signs.

Each and every one of us should contact Hollywood Theaters right now! You can send them an e-mail or fill out an online form. It'll take you five minutes to let them know why Gun Control Laws and No Firearms Signs DON'T WORK.

If you're out of ideas, feel free to copy a portion of my most recent blog from RYOC.

EXACTLY. That's the message that needs to be communicated. Criminals, even the criminally insane, flock to environments where the victims are numerous and their defenses are minimal. A "No Firearms" sign minimizes people's defenses and increases the likelihood of a repeat or copy-cat crime.

62 Caddy

This is a time to give kindness to those that have lost and must grieve, may God’s blessings be with you. Ours is to be vigilant as sheepdogs amongst the sheep to always protect those that cannot or will not, for there will always be wolves. From North Carolina we stand with you.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

This is a time to give kindness to those that have lost and must grieve, may God’s blessings be with you. Ours is to be vigilant as sheepdogs amongst the sheep to always protect those that cannot or will not, for there will always be wolves. From North Carolina we stand with you.

Hoorah! Keep your vigilance sir now more than ever its needed with so many crazy people out there

Bellum_Intus

Thank you..

--Rob

zach

From A.P.

From AP

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL, AP
9 hours ago

WASHINGTON — A U.S. official says the suspect in Friday's shootings inside a Colorado movie theater bought a ticket to the midnight showing of the latest Batman movie and went into the theater as part of the crowd.

A federal law enforcement official said suspect James Holmes is believed to have propped open an exit door in the theater as the movie was playing, donned protective ballistic gear and opened fire. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation.

Police in Aurora, Colo., said Holmes fired at least 71 shots and killed at least 12 people. Police said he had an AR-15 assault rifle, a shotgun, and two .40-caliber Glock handguns. Holmes is also believed to have hurled a gas canister into the theater before opening fire.