• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help: wife opposes me carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haz.

We were planning to go to Costco this evening. She gets home, and a minute later she says she'll be back in a little bit. Asked where she was going and she said "Costco". I said "I was willing to come with". She says "If you're going to carry that gun, I'm going to go by myself". "Are you sure you don't want me to come with?" I asked. "If you'll at least leave it in the car" she replies. "Cuz nothing could happen in the store, right?" There was more to the conversation/argument from there, but that's the gist of it.

This isn't the first time it's come up. First, she had been very resistant to me even getting the gun. I finally saved up the money over several months to afford it rather than dumping a chunk all at once. Then she wanted to set rules about when it should be out or loaded. I accepted them. Then she showed opposition to me getting a concealed carry permit. I'd been telling her for years that I wanted to get one, and gave her my reasons. Then I decided to open carry until I get my permit, since it's perfectly legal here. The first couple times I wore it out, she didn't even notice. Then when she finally did, she started to grouse about it. And now we've gotten to the point where this evening's situation happened.

So I'm trying to figure out how to handle this. I obviously don't want to completely piss my wife off, but I also feel strongly about my right to protect myself and those I care about, especially in today's age of random public mass shootings. She doesn't seem to understand that. I don't know if she thinks I'm trying to be some vigilante or something (which I'm not), but she seems to feel that my wanting to carry is irrational. She makes the point that we live in a safer city now, which we do (lived in Salinas, CA for years where gangs are terrible and crime is high; now live in Eugene, OR where crime is less and gangs are almost non-existent). I point out that the mall shooting a couple years back in Portland was a pretty safe place, not to mention Sandy Hook.

I just don't know what to say. I've tried "I hope you'll trust me to be responsible with it", that "just because we've never been the victim of violent crime thus far doesn't mean we never will be", the tried-and-true "I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it", that "crime happens everywhere, not just in bad areas". I can't tell her that I wouldn't go to someone else's aid if a shooting started but we were safe, because I AM the kind of person that would try to help others.

How do you all think I should proceed?

Ask her, . . . "Is our home insured, id our car insured? Do we have a fire extinguisher in our home and or boat? Usually most people do have these things, hoping to never ever need them! Its the same with firearms. You carry a firearm for self defence hoping to never need it. Better to have it and never need it than to need one and not have one.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I gave up on this thread a while ago, but it came up on the "New Posts" list, so it got me wondering... did the OP's wife (or the OP) ever see the light?

Last edited:

DaveT319

She still doesn't like it, but she seems to have accepted it. It "helps" that there has been a spat of crime lately, including robberies and a carjacking. I think she's starting to understand why I choose to carry, and she is definitely not objecting like she used to. Now when we go somewhere, she doesn't say a thing about it.

Definite progress.

Gallowmere

She still doesn't like it, but she seems to have accepted it. It "helps" that there has been a spat of crime lately, including robberies and a carjacking. I think she's starting to understand why I choose to carry, and she is definitely not objecting like she used to. Now when we go somewhere, she doesn't say a thing about it.

Definite progress.

Excellent. There is a certain irony in the fact that the media tries to convince us all that carrying a gun is a terrible idea...but the 24 hour news cycle just keeps showing us reason after reason for why you should carry.

DaveT319

Well, looks like I spoke to soon. We were going to the movies and she demanded I leave the gun at home.

Not there yet. I've been wearing it everywhere since the start of this thread, and this is the first time she's pushed back.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well, looks like I spoke to soon. We were going to the movies and she demanded I leave the gun at home.

Not there yet. I've been wearing it everywhere since the start of this thread, and this is the first time she's pushed back.
Going to a perfect place for a nutcase to shoot fish in a barrel, and you left it at home?

Looks like I'd better make myself scarce again.

Good luck to you.

DaveT319

Going to a perfect place for a nutcase to shoot fish in a barrel, and you left it at home?

That's how I felt too.
Could she be just testing your resolve on this?

No, I don't think so. When I tried to stand my ground, she got angry and exasperated and just went with "because I don't want you to".

Incidentally, I found out that her brother (who owns guns but doesn't carry) who was joining us specifically told her HE didn't want me to carry to the theater either. So it would seem that maybe she was capitulating to HIS wishes on this occasion by telling me to leave it at home.

Furthermore, I have decided this is the LAST time I give in to her on this issue. I'm not going to give in to her irrational discomfort anymore. I tried to be nice about it, but after this I'm done with the niceties.

Haz.

Your the man of the house. Its your job to protect her, your children, and your property. When you married, did you promise her you would love honour and cherish her? Did she promise to love honour and 'OBEY you?"

You are loving her, honouring her and cherishing her, by being ready and able to protect her from murder's, maniacs, rapists and robbers.

Now If she refuses to obey you, give her the flick real quick! There's plenty out there who do play fair!

JUST KIDDING!

But, I do feel sorry for you! My wife hates firearms, but she never ever tells me what to do or not do, when I explain to her in a loving and sensible way why I do the things I do to protect her and the children, and our property!

Does your wife say no when you insure the home, does she say no when you take out insurance on the car, would she say not to you having fire extinguishers at the ready? Does she say no when you take out insurance on yourself in case something happens to you so that she is financially secure and looked after?

Truly, personally, I would tell her to shut the flick up, and thank God you care enough for her to be prepared, 'JUST IN CASE!' if she doesn't like it, go live with her brother.

Haz.

Last edited:

DaveT319

I've tried coming at this from every way I could think of, and it's just not getting through.
  • She says she wishes I would have given her more time to accept even having a handgun in the house before I started carrying it. I said she's known for YEARS that I wanted a handgun and that I intended to carry. I even took the CHL course at the end of 2012, long before I even bought the gun, yet somehow I "sprung" this on her?!
  • She's holding on to this fear that it will make me a target, even though I've done my best to dispel that myth while saying that if anything it actually has a deterrent effect.
  • She - and now she tells me the rest of her family too - thinks I'm going to go off half-cocked into a situation and get myself arrested or killed completely ignoring that I have some police training in tactics, covet, and concealment. Granted, I can't rule out that I would go to someone's aid if need be, but that's not the same as barreling headlong into a situation that could be dangerous.

All of that seems to be falling on deaf ears. So maybe I'll just get rid of it in favor of a shotgun for home defense - if she'll even accept that. My hunting rifle is ok, a hunting shotgun seems ok, so maybe she'll accept a combo shotgun.

Anyone in Oregon want a lightly used Taurus PT111 G2?

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

I've tried coming at this from every way I could think of, and it's just not getting through.
  • She says she wishes I would have given her more time to accept even having a handgun in the house before I started carrying it. I said she's known for YEARS that I wanted a handgun and that I intended to carry. I even took the CHL course at the end of 2012, long before I even bought the gun, yet somehow I "sprung" this on her?!
  • She's holding on to this fear that it will make me a target, even though I've done my best to dispel that myth while saying that if anything it actually has a deterrent effect.
  • She - and now she tells me the rest of her family too - thinks I'm going to go off half-cocked into a situation and get myself arrested or killed completely ignoring that I have some police training in tactics, covet, and concealment. Granted, I can't rule out that I would go to someone's aid if need be, but that's not the same as barreling headlong into a situation that could be dangerous.

All of that seems to be falling on deaf ears. So maybe I'll just get rid of it in favor of a shotgun for home defense - if she'll even accept that. My hunting rifle is ok, a hunting shotgun seems ok, so maybe she'll accept a combo shotgun.

I honestly hope that last bit is only humour.
There's some things that one just cannot and should not give up simply because of marriage. Some things are make-or-break, and if she is asking you to do something which will imperil not only YOUR life, but hers and any children you may or may not have (sorry if you already answered this), you might just have to put your foot down and say "No honey. This is who I am. I want to be able to defend you or myself should a REAL criminal decide we look like easy prey."

I can't believe I'm even saying this, but is there any way you can just CC? And without her knowing? (So two things I can't believe I'm advocating). FOR THE TIME BEING, OF COURSE. Maybe until you can get her to an OC get-together.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

My gun or my wife ... I choose my gun.

Maybe you should just get a nerf gun....if she'll "let" you.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

My gun or my wife ... I choose my gun.

Maybe you should just get a nerf gun....if she'll "let" you.

You know, sometimes I REALLY wonder about what your motives are. I also wonder whether Eye95's assessment of you was fully justified.
The OP is making an honest call for advice, not attacks or taunts for not "being king" at home. Outdated thought, if I may say so (I prefer the stronger-willed women, and I'm not very attracted to submissive girls).

Since the beginning of the year, and up til about a month ago, it seemed like you'd really matured and wanted nothing more than to lend aid to members here. You made some very humourous posts, and posted very informative links in that time. Then you started up a thread that ruined the good run you were having. Remember the one?

Last edited:

DaveT319

I honestly hope that last bit is only humour.

It's a huge amount of frustration.
There's some things that one just cannot and should not give up simply because of marriage. Some things are make-or-break, and if she is asking you to do something which will imperil not only YOUR life, but hers and any children you may or may not have (sorry if you already answered this), you might just have to put your foot down and say "No honey. This is who I am. I want to be able to defend you or myself should a REAL criminal decide we look like easy prey."[/ QUOTE]

I've tried explaining it that way, but it hasn't gotten through.
I can't believe I'm even saying this, but is there any way you can just CC? And without her knowing? (So two things I can't believe I'm advocating). FOR THE TIME BEING, OF COURSE. Maybe until you can get her to an OC get-together.[/ QUOTE]

I'd always intended to only CC, but then I did some research into the OC movement and liked that I could carry without having to pay money to get the state's permission to carry. And of course there are the tactical advantages.

She's sounding like CC would be ok with her, since no one would see it. But I don't know if I now want to CC. I see the advantages to OC and don't know if I want to give that up. Or maybe I'll get it so that I have the option of covering up when she's "uncomfortable".

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

It's a huge amount of frustration.

I've tried explaining it that way, but it hasn't gotten through.

I'd always intended to only CC, but then I did some research into the OC movement and liked that I could carry without having to pay money to get the state's permission to carry. And of course there are the tactical advantages.

She's sounding like CC would be ok with her, since no one would see it. But I don't know if I now want to CC. I see the advantages to OC and don't know if I want to give that up. Or maybe I'll get it so that I have the option of covering up when she's "uncomfortable".

I can sympathize with not wanting to CC (once you've seen the light, why would you willingly crawl back to your chains in the darkness of Plato's cave?), that's why I can't believe I'm actually advising someone to CC. I also refuse to get a government permission slip, even if it means I can't walk into a bar.:(
Maybe you can just CC for a few weeks (maybe a month or two), but take her to OC lunches and the like. She'll slowly realize you're the same with or without your sidearm, and she'll see that others OC without being targeted by criminals or going postal.:)
You can OC when she isn't there ("Virginia tuck"), and essentially keep a great secret from your loved one.:( Another thing I never thought I would advocate (outside of surprise gifts and the like, of course:D).
Maybe CC is the way to gradually ease her into accepting your OC?:confused:

Add.
I may even be empathizing with you here. Are you feeling a tightness in your chest and keep finding your jaw slightly clenched?

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Yes on the last one.

I'm really sorry to hear that.:( Wish there was something I could do to help her see the logic of OC.:confused:
The best course of action, as I see it, is to attend an OC get-together with her (only her, none of her friends or family, yet). Seeing is believing, I'm told.:)

Let us know if any progress is made.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...She's sounding like CC would be ok with her, since no one would see it...
Then start there. Millions do. You won't be the first or the last.

...She's sounding like CC would be ok with her, since no one would see it... But I don't know if I now want to CC. I see the advantages to OC and don't know if I want to give that up. Or maybe I'll get it so that I have the option of covering up when she's "uncomfortable".
That will be all the time, until she's comfortable, that is. :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sometimes is is better in our relationships to make a compromise. Not suggesting giving up deeply held beliefs, but rather adapting, even compromising. what and how we physcally express those beliefs.

I have no problem with the OP deciding to CC for now. Each person must make the determination whether to OC, CC, or noC based on their particular circumstances and their priorities. The really important thing is that he understands and supports OC, though it may not be his choice on a given day.

While I think OC has advantages, it is far better to carry concealed than to not carry at all.

As a word of caution - do not project your personal choices (i.e. divorce) on the OP.

My significent other was shocked when she first saw my gun. Today, many years later, she carries 24/7 - mostly CC, but occassionally OC. It was a long road between the two, but I knew she was a keeper and it would be worth the gymnastics. I was.

solus

Sorry, DaveT, but did you truly expect some miraculous transformation of your partner after a months worth of ~220 gun forum posts from various strangers?

(sorry if this makes you pout a bit DaveT) but if you would work a bit more on your communicative, compromising, and pervasive skills you might come out ahead. you haven't even had enough time to see if any member's suggestions (DavidMcBeths and others advocating divorce and such not included) a chance to work. yet you have spent a bit of time responding out here discussing the woes of your situation. as pointed out by some folk, they have been working for years to prove aspects to their partner so their partner can become accustom to some facet of their personality.

as my daddy used to say...'remember Rome wasn't built in a day!' yet you apparently expect majik to be worked.

as insinuated by some, me thinks DaveT you possibly have deeper seated issues within your familial unit than you are acknowledging or letting on which require resolving between you, your partner, her brother, et al., sooner rather than later.

ipse

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.