• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting issue in Hanover

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
yall got nutria in VA? Remember shooting at them when duck hunting on the (Texas) coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rats are bigger and are usually found in the morass that is the General Assembly Building or the city council/board of supervisors chambers.

stay safe.

Firearms Iinstuctor

That's interesting. We don't have wolves although Va coyotes picked up wolf DNA coming here and some have some size...but there is a regular season for Bobcats, coyotes are a pests that can be killed year around, and, landowners can kill Bobcats year round.

The 60 were good years and I had the mountains to run as long a line as I pleased. Even muskrat were getting good prices then.

We need a permit for bob cats you tend to get one about every 5 years for 1 cat.

Wolves are just a PITA I get pictures on the game games all the time. One of the guys that still runs a fairly long trap line catches and releases around wolves 6 a year and a bunch of cats.

My summer jobs were paying around a 1.50 per hr. a good rat was over 2 , mink 18 to 25, fox 30 coyotes 20, coons 8 to 15 didn't take a lot of fur to make up a whole summers worth of hard work.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We need a permit for bob cats you tend to get one about every 5 years for 1 cat.

Wolves are just a PITA I get pictures on the game games all the time. One of the guys that still runs a fairly long trap line catches and releases around wolves 6 a year and a bunch of cats.

My summer jobs were paying around a 1.50 per hr. a good rat was over 2 , mink 18 to 25, fox 30 coyotes 20, coons 8 to 15 didn't take a lot of fur to make up a whole summers worth of hard work.

images

Available ala carte too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

$1.50 was good money for a summer job by hillbilly standards. For years I worked summers on farms for $0.10 to $0.25 an hour, later for brick layers and carpenters for $0.75.
I hit pay dirt my 3rd year of college blowing up rocks for a crew putting a sewer line through the mountains. ..$2.25 and all the dynamite I needed.
After graduation I started ski bumming for $35.00 a week.
Then I got married so I had to move to the flatlands and get a real job.

And now McDonald's workers want $15.00.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ok. ..back to OC in the car :uhoh: ...I pulled BIG BERTHA out of the golf bag so I should be suitably armed for the day.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I got the second FOIA yesterday. Nothing exciting...pretty much...we came, we saw, we went away. They did list my tags which aside from annoying me, is no big deal and apparently didn't even run them.

va_tazdad

Careful! I got labeled as Liberal for suggesting on a certain B-brand forum (rhymes with eratta) that maybe we should try to at least use proper spelling let alone grammar, since, you know, the antis are watching.

LOL I would PAY to see the fool try and prove Peter Nap is a Liberal. LOL Hahahahahahahaha.

;>)

The Wolfhound

as to the somewhat unanswered question...

There are Nutria in Virginia but only in the Back Bay/False Cape preserve area. That is their northern limit on the East Coast. See that Mom and Dad, I did not waste that Minor in Biology...... 30 years later and I still find it useful (on rare occasions) for useless information.

HPmatt

d17bb0df0569cc1d79e0fa09a15d0290.jpg
I bet you could make various dyed nutria-fur OWB holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Truth

Somewhat off topic, but I wish I knew someone who needed my help pistol hunting for nuisance creatures...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Somewhat off topic, but I wish I knew someone who needed my help pistol hunting for nuisance creatures...

Turkey season is pretty much history but I could've pointed you to a few hundred folks that had their hunting ruined by people training their nuisance species.

Last edited: