• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault Weapons Bill

sharkey

What is a military characteristic?

And yes, it says "can accept more than 10 rounds" ETA: OK, fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...?File_id=10993387-5d4d-4680-a872-ac8ca4359119

Summary of 2013 Feinstein Assault Weapons
Legislation
Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
 120 specifically-named firearms
 Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a
detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
 Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept
more than 10 rounds
Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
 Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
 Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from
the characteristics test
 Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address
attempts to “work around” prior bans
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than
10 rounds.
Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
 Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
 Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or
sporting purposes and
 Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weaponsRequires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms
Act, to include:
o Background check of owner and any transferee;
o Type and serial number of the firearm;
o Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
o Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that
possession would not violate State or local law; and
o Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Last edited:

Johnny W

And yes, it says "can accept more than 10 rounds" ETA: OK, fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...?File_id=10993387-5d4d-4680-a872-ac8ca4359119

That's exactly my point, sharkey. I don't think most folks carry a Steyr M1912 with extended magazine nowadays. Just because a pistol can accept a detachable magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds does not mean the pistol will be banned under the currently proposed "AWB". That'll be the next one I'm guessing.

sharkey

That's exactly my point, sharkey. I don't think most folks carry a Steyr M1912 with extended magazine nowadays. Just because a pistol can accept a detachable magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds does not mean the pistol will be banned under the currently proposed "AWB". That'll be the next one I'm guessing.

But you missed my title.

[h=2]What is a military characteristic?[/h]
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a
detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

skeith5

Johnny, you're missing the part about how all of the guns you listed becoming a felony to possess, unless you either forfeit them to the government or pay a crapton of money and fly through hoops to register every individual gun and magazine. ($200 PER UNIT, including $200 PER MAG!). I think it's extremely safe to assume they will follow paper trails of who owns what, and if it isn't registered, they'll come a knockin to confiscate.

NFA registration isn't automatically $200. There is a $5 tax stamp for AOW's, Magazines will NOT be taxed at $200 a mag. Not that I support the bill at all, but let's not spread something false.

Scott

unreconstructed1

NFA registration isn't automatically $200. There is a $5 tax stamp for AOW's, Magazines will NOT be taxed at $200 a mag. Not that I support the bill at all, but let's not spread something false.

Scott

but then again, when they add semi-automatic firearms to the NFA registry, who knows what price the stamp will be?

motoxmann

it sucks that I can't find the full details now. if you guys saw all the specific wording I saw in it, you'd completely understand everything I'm saying. they were VERY careful to word it in very specific ways that would allow for confusion, probably to make it seem more lenient to be more likely to pass, but also to be interpreted as very strict to cause darn near everything to be banned.

I guess we'll find out in another day or two, right? :confused:

NFA registration isn't automatically $200.

according to the full details I read, yes it would be. but of course that means nothing now that I can't find it anywhere

Last edited:

eye95

They'll have to pass the bill to be able to read it.

Isn't that the way it works now? Isn't that how the people we reelected do things? Didn't this nation make the informed choice to give those people another shot at us?

crazydude6030

The CT shooting had an AR style in his car, but he used handguns in the actual shooting. The media frenzied on the AR at the scene and reported mainly that it was used in the shooting. Just because I have paint brushes in my truck doesn't mean that I used it for framing a house.

I haven't heard about the other recent murderers on the rampage. :(

I'm gettign confused about what he really did use. I have seen comments that say he used glock 10mm hand gun to a 9mm and a 45. I even saw one report he used a .22lr ar style rifle. Does anyone have a reliable source on what he really used and what was found?

Jeff. State

Banned
I'm gettign confused about what he really did use. I have seen comments that say he used glock 10mm hand gun to a 9mm and a 45. I even saw one report he used a .22lr ar style rifle. Does anyone have a reliable source on what he really used and what was found?

No there is no reliable source, not even officials in CT. Nothing has been shown as far as evidence goes. The whole case STINKS of coverup.

motoxmann

No there is no reliable source, not even officials in CT. Nothing has been shown as far as evidence goes. The whole case STINKS of coverup.

in addition to that, a quick google search or youtube search for on-scene video and recordings of the dispatch will also show you that there was more than one shooter, there were actually 4, and 3 of them were aprehended alive. also in the dispatch audio, you can actually hear one of the shooters who is OUTSIDE the school firing upon police and police firing back. and if you recall, adam lanza supposedly never shot at police and police never shot at him, and he also never left the building.
there is also proof that one of the child victims is actually still alive, as evidenced by a photograph of her with obama after the massacre, and is wearing the same dress that she was wearing for the family photograph the media used when displaying the victims

Last edited:

Johnny W

But you missed my title.

[h=2]What is a military characteristic?[/h]

Sorry for missing that. We can of course speculate that Feinstein will list "sights" as a military characteristic, or that she'll say that if a rifle can mount a scope it's a military characteristic, or that if a rifle fires ammunition previously or currently used by the US military it's a military characteristic. That's just speculation at this point.

What isn't speculation is the previous list of "evil features", which Feinstein has implied are the "military characteristics" she is referring to (in the text you quoted and on her Senate page she said that the bayonet lug and flash suppressor are being removed from the list of characteristics, and is will move from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test).

Here's the list. Note that the first line is a qualifier (if the rifle/pistol is not both self-loading and able to accept a detachable magazine, the characteristics do not apply, and if the shotgun is not semi-automatic the characteristics do not apply).

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

The "thumbhole stock loophole" and "bullet button loophole" would be closed--meaning that a thumbhole stock would be seen as a pistol grip, and a bullet button would not exempt a gun from the "accepting a detachable magazine".

Furthermore, the NRA claims to have seen a draft of the legislation (plausibly) and says that we'll need to add
"any other characteristic that can function as a grip.” Also, the new bill adds “forward grip” to the list of prohibiting features for rifles, defining it as “a grip located forward of the trigger that functions as a pistol grip.” Read literally and in conjunction with the reduction from two features to one, the new language would apply to every detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifle. At a minimum, it would, for example, ban all models of the AR-15, even those developed for compliance with California’s highly restrictive ban.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/feinstein-goes-for-broke-with-new-gun-ban-bill.aspx

So if the NRA is correct, and the BATFE chooses to read it in the worst possible way, yes, we could see all models of the AR-15 considered assault weapons. Even in this case, it's unlikely that most carry pistols would be considered assault weapons unless the BATFE further twists their previous rulings to mean that any magazine which at all extends below the pistol grip constitutes a magazine which "attaches outside the pistol grip". And at that point, they might as well go whole-hog and say that all guns are in fact made of illegally distilled alcohol and subject to confiscation.

LkWd_Don

What else would it be about?...it's always about control, and power.

We elect them, handing that power, and ability to control, over. The alternative would be worse, though.

Its supposed to be about establishing Justice, tranquility, providing for the common defense, promoting the General Welfare (Not handing out Welfare) and securing liberty and posterity for each of "WE THE PEOPLE"!

So many have been twisted into believing that our present Government is what our Founders envisioned. Sorry, far from it! Beginning when the Several Sovereign States were stripped of their Voice in Congress when the 17th Amendment was ratified, turning Senators into simply more elected imbeciles of the people to trample our Liberty & Posterity!

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_preamble.html
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Beretta92FSLady

Its supposed to be about establishing Justice, tranquility, providing for the common defense, promoting the General Welfare (Not handing out Welfare) and securing liberty and posterity for each of "WE THE PEOPLE"!

So many have been twisted into believing that our present Government is what our Founders envisioned. Sorry, far from it! Beginning when the Several Sovereign States were stripped of their Voice in Congress when the 17th Amendment was ratified, turning Senators into simply more elected imbeciles of the people to trample our Liberty & Posterity!

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_preamble.html

I am not under the impression that the Government we currently have is what the Founding Fathers intended. Their intent ought to be noted, and we ought to pave our own way.

Either the Constitution is a relic, and not applicable to our day, or the Constitution is a living breathing document that changes with society--I think it the latter.

compmanio365

I am not under the impression that the Government we currently have is what the Founding Fathers intended. Their intent ought to be noted, and we ought to pave our own way.

Either the Constitution is a relic, and not applicable to our day, or the Constitution is a living breathing document that changes with society--I think it the latter.

Another example of the limited critical thinking skills our liberal friends employ......there is a third possibility, and the one that is true. The Constitution is a legal document that restricts the GOVERNMENT and the only way to change that document is by a 2/3rds majority vote of the PEOPLE. Until such time as it is amended by that LEGAL option, the document is to be taken LITERALLY, as it is written, in black and white. It is not to be "interpreted" by whatever political party is in power at the time, and it is definitely not to be changed without a vote by the states, nor circumvented to avoid that process. Something your beloved leader can't seem to get through his head, nor the people of his mentality he surrounds himself with.

Beretta92FSLady

Another example of the limited critical thinking skills our liberal friends employ......there is a third possibility, and the one that is true. The Constitution is a legal document that restricts the GOVERNMENT and the only way to change that document is by a 2/3rds majority vote of the PEOPLE. Until such time as it is amended by that LEGAL option, the document is to be taken LITERALLY, as it is written, in black and white. It is not to be "interpreted" by whatever political party is in power at the time, and it is definitely not to be changed without a vote by the states, nor circumvented to avoid that process. Something your beloved leader can't seem to get through his head, nor the people of his mentality he surrounds himself with.

Yea, like I stated, the Constitution is Interpreted, there is nothing "black and white" about it.

I don't have to go far to prove the Constitution is interpreted, check out every Finding SCOTUS has shot from the Bench. There is no Literal way to read the Constitution; there is merely A way to read the Constitution.

Sometimes it's hard to believe that there are so many individuals out there that are under the impression that the Constitution is intended to be reade a particular way.