• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Auto Zone employee fired for armed resistance

half_life1052

Devon was interviewed on "CBS This Morning Saturday".

He's had several job offers. CBS also read a statement from Autozone.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50136652n

I am troubled. In the written statement from Autozone, they reference other occasions where the employee introduced a weapon and bad things happened. I can't find any reference to any such incidents. I think that a demand for specifics are in order. I doubt that these other "instances" are anything more than a work of fiction.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am troubled. In the written statement from Autozone, they reference other occasions where the employee introduced a weapon and bad things happened. I can't find any reference to any such incidents. I think that a demand for specifics are in order. I doubt that these other "instances" are anything more than a work of fiction.

+1

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This alert just went out.

VCDL needs a FIRM headcount of those who can participate in a VCDL protest at a Yorktown AutoZone store on Thursday, December 13, from 12 noon to 3 PM. We will be protesting the firing of Devin McLean for using his handgun to stop a robbery of the store in November. If you can attend, reply to this email ASAP and let me know how many will be in your party. If we can't get enough people to attend on Thursday, the protest will be moved to Saturday instead. We will be making a decision on the date by this evening (December 10th).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This alert just went out.

VCDL needs a FIRM headcount of those who can participate in a VCDL protest at a Yorktown AutoZone store on Thursday, December 13, from 12 noon to 3 PM. We will be protesting the firing of Devin McLean for using his handgun to stop a robbery of the store in November. If you can attend, reply to this email ASAP and let me know how many will be in your party. If we can't get enough people to attend on Thursday, the protest will be moved to Saturday instead. We will be making a decision on the date by this evening (December 10th).

Just got the word from VCDLPresident that the date is Thursday. Weather forecast is clear with a high of 51*F and moderate winds - dress appropriately. Remember that carbonated beverages are diuretic. Rumor is there is a Dairy Queen across the street - they have generally been OC firiendly. It would not hurt to buy something if you are going to use their restroom.

Look for the ATV but stand clear as it comes out of the gimpmobile.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just got the word from VCDLPresident that the date is Thursday. Weather forecast is clear with a high of 51*F and moderate winds - dress appropriately. Remember that carbonated beverages are diuretic. Rumor is there is a Dairy Queen across the street - they have generally been OC firiendly. It would not hurt to buy something if you are going to use their restroom.

Look for the ATV but stand clear as it comes out of the gimpmobile.

stay safe.

Glad they gave plenty of notice to work it into the schedule.:mad:

45acpForMe

Yes, any other day this week and almost any day this month (minus two and Christmas) I could have attended for at least a few hours. :-(

Oh well.

For those that can't resist diuretic beverages, Food Lion has a nice restroom at the far back end of the store. Subway also has a restroom but it would be more noticeable if you didn't buy anything. Both are in the same shopping center. I don't think Dairy Queen has a restroom and it is across the highway from the Autozone.

If I am lucky I will be getting back from Va Beach early and may be able to hit the last half hour of the protest.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Would you have preferred if they tried to do something within the week after the event hit the news?

It's never too late to complain about bad behavior, but as most of us who have raised dogs or children know the shorter the time between the act and the response the more likely it will have an effect.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Would you have preferred if they tried to do something within the week after the event hit the news?

It's never too late to complain about bad behavior, but as most of us who have raised dogs or children know the shorter the time between the act and the response the more likely it will have an effect.

stay safe.

Well... that's true, but if you plan an event and forget to tell anyone, you don't have many dance partners.

Last edited:

VCDL President

Centurion
Well... that's true, but if you plan an event and forget to tell anyone, you don't have many dance partners.

Peter, we are peddling as fast as we can. Lots going on behind the scenes and having to deal with the sign company was enough to drive me nuts. I didn't want to announce something only to have it fall apart.

Saturday is going to be the protests in Colonial Heights and Hopewell. Announcement going out tonight.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter, we are peddling as fast as we can. Lots going on behind the scenes and having to deal with the sign company was enough to drive me nuts. I didn't want to announce something only to have it fall apart.

Saturday is going to be the protests in Colonial Heights and Hopewell. Announcement going out tonight.

We discussed it tonight and its always possible I can get away. It's a shame about the Hunters though. At last one is from York and can't work it out.

Saturdays are always out this time of year.
Looks like you'll have people there anyway.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was doing some dirt digging today and talked to an ex AZ employee who quit after one of the employees was fired.

He was in the Broad street store when they were robbed. One of the employees pulled the alarm and the robber ran off. AZ's policy is do nothing and fired him.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

I was doing some dirt digging today and talked to an ex AZ employee who quit after one of the employees was fired.

He was in the Broad street store when they were robbed. One of the employees pulled the alarm and the robber ran off. AZ's policy is do nothing and fired him.

Do Nothing!!! Do Not pull the alarm!!!
this should be a new thread,

Sheeple should not make any rules!

Anonymouse

This is normal for retail.

Has no one worked retail in awhile?

They always say do nothing and give the robbers what they want. Many retailers don't even let you apprehend shoplifters.

While the claim is liability, the Borders that is/was in the building across from the Fashion Mall in Pentagon City was sued and lost when a shoplifter got hurt by a pursuing employee. Was about 2005.

We could ID shoplifters and call the police after they left but that was it.

Tap'n while driving...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Whaaat! Why even have the alarm then?

Wonder if Devin's manager had been shot, would he too have been fired...................for stopping a bullet on the job, not authorized employee conduct. :uhoh:

What management imagines could happen isn't reality.

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension— a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the [strike]Twilight[/strike] Auto Zone.

GreatDaneMan

ill be at a different autozone both days for protesting.....but ill be working and not protesting. I wanted to make it at least to watch, cant exactly protest against my employer if I want a paycheck.

I just hope my autozone does not get robbed.... ill be happy to empty the safe but the damn thing ALWAYS locks you out with the correct code, ill get shot for not cooperating!!!